Query: not using "next named street" in parking lots?

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Query: not using "next named street" in parking lots?

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Parking lots are kind of difficult to navigate using GPS systems, since most of their collector roadways are unnamed. Further, because navigation is dependent on the location accuracy of a wide range of hardware devices with varying levels of accuracy that are beyond the programmer's control, IMHO any kind of turn instruction that based strictly on a distance of less than a tenth of a mile (about 500 ft) is irrelevant and more likely to confuse the driver than provide any kind of productive information. More often than not, the driver really has to navigate the parking lot visually based on what he/she sees across the parking lot, whether it is a specific store that is the destination, or finding these collector roadways within the parking to exit.

In my (limited) experience with Waze, I've found that the only real asset to mapping parking lots is either when a parking lot's exit isn't obvious from all places in the parking lot, as seen in the parking lot here, or if there is a very large parking lot with multiple exits to multiple different roads, Waze can guide you to the most optimal exit based on your route from the parking lot, as seen in the mall parking lot here.

Beyond that, however, parking lot routes have very little use, as once you turn off the public road into a parking lot, you have to visually find your destination and just drive to it, since the entire parking lot, no matter how big, is typically defined as a single address, and the navigator will take you to the same spot no matter which store in that parking lot you might be looking for.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New York City; New Jersey
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby scruffy151 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:08 am

I think using "to" or "towards" instead of "at" would be much simpler to implement and work as well as this proposal.

No special conditions are needed, those words work as well on complex ramps as they do in parking lots.
scruffy151

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

My over-all suggestion for all cases:

1.) Next segment is named and the first word is NOT "to" - use "at"
2.) Next segment is named and the first work IS "to" - use "to"
3.) Next segment is un-named - use "to"

Case one is for most basic intersections.

Case two is mainly for ramps. I have a ramp signed in real life with a "to I-40" sign. This ramp leads to the last bit of another highway (which is not mentioned on any signs at that point) that splits to join each direction of I-40. I bugs me because you are in no way turing "at" I-40 and I use that ramp almost every time I leave my home.

Case 3 covers the parking lot situation as well as things like at-grade connectors where you are in effect turning BEFORE you reach the road and not AT it.

It may be the case where only the US is using "to" in ramp names, but these rules should then still apply to other locales I think.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Beyond that, however, parking lot routes have very little use, as once you turn off the public road into a parking lot, you have to visually find your destination and just drive to it, since the entire parking lot, no matter how big, is typically defined as a single address, and the navigator will take you to the same spot no matter which store in that parking lot you might be looking for.

I agree with what you have said except a note about this part I quoted. That is true if you are searching for an address, but if you are searching by the name of a store it is possible that the search provider has returned a location right at the front door of the store.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests