Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Waze for Windows Phone 8

Post by
At present I have exactly 0 navigation programs on my HTC 8x. Really hope Waze reconsiders support for Windows Phone now WP8 is out.

POSTER_ID:85972

Send a message

Post by abu5217
Another former Android user who would love to have a Waze WP8 app. I realize the concerns with the user base (Market Share), but after experiencing the dearth of options for Nav on my HTC 8x, I would LOVE to have Waze back, even if it were a paid app. The apps that I have tried pale in comparison to Waze, and I feel naked driving home without the assists from the other Wazers on the road.

The good news, at least in my opinion, is that, with Verizon jumping on the WP8 bandwagon (with 2 phones out and another coming this month) I can hope that the WP8 market share climbs enough to make this a worthwhile option for Waze (Keep in mind that apps that run on WP8 should also run on RT tablets like the Surface (right?) which could further increase the install base.

Seriously, I would be more than willing to pay (a reasonable amount, obvs) for Waze on WP8. Just wanted to add my support.
abu5217
Send a message

Post by btrials
I never thought in million years Microsoft would get outed like Crackberries (at least MS is doing better) but it's iOS & Android world these days. I can't blame the love for WM but I've moved on awhile ago. Perhaps one day when WM does start to make a comeback I'm sure the developers not just limited to Waze but other app will start growing in numbers.

I've been hearing the same debate over at Sprint with people wanting more Windows Mobile based phones. Times change though unfortunately. Who knows, Microsoft maybe going through a similar phase that Apple experienced long ago before making a huge comeback.
btrials
Send a message
btrials Area Manager Southern New Hampshire
Galaxy SIII Rooted Bel RX65 RadioScanner

Post by DallasGrant
I would love to see a WP8 version. I luckily have two phones, one android and one windows, so I really am not without my Waze. I think even if all I had was one line, I would just use the mobile hotspot on my Nokia phone to give data to my Android to still use Waze.

I will not make any claims at all that I have no navigation options at all on my Windows phone. Both Nokia Drive and VZ Navigator prove to be decent navigational programs; however, neither have the features that I love about Waze. VZ Navigator does kinda navigate around traffic, but only if I happen to be in a major city on a major highway (and it normally takes button clicks to create a new route around the traffic instead of automatically finding the faster route like Waze does). Neither of the programs can I simply report police or road kill. Neither make it easy for me to correct road imbalances.

I will admit that in some ways these other programs are better because in towns I have never been to (and neither have any other Wazers), these other applications are not thinking that all roads are either unknown or one way streets. But when it comes to areas I update on a regular basis, Waze is the only mapping system that actually realizes all the roads (even the ones just opened in the last month) so Waze often proves to be the best navigation system out there.

I don't blame Waze at all for not having a version as of yet for WP8. The operating system is still in its infant stage. The base of users (even if we add in WP7 users) is a very small base of users. To be honest, Waze is not the only app I am missing on my windows phone. Should I blame Google for not making at least all the same apps they have for the IOS? Absolutely not. I knew all the limitations of the OS when I bought it. I just will hope that in the future as the phone gains attention as well as the new Windows Tablets grow in its user base, that we see Waze come to that platform as like it already is for Blackberry, Apple, and Android platforms.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
That's an interesting article. I will tell you that I am very surprised in Nokia drive for the little bit that I have used it; however, that being said, a lot of less traveled roads are missing completely from the map. Sure when I started wazing, I found lots of the same issues with that map, but at least I could fix it very easily (and now it has become and obsession with me fixing most of the roads in South Central to South Eastern Minnesota).

I haven't tried any of the HTC Windows Phones (or at least any of them built for Windows 8) and didn't realize the limitations on that side. I know for those phones using Verizon Wireless in the US can download VZ Navigator, but that has a fee (currently 2$ a month), but that currently looks like the only option for use on that phone and anyone on another carrier may be SOL
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
fiftiesdean wrote:
If it's anything like Windows 8,it won't work properly anyway. Stick with what you have lol
I've been using Windows 8 for a while and I've been using a Lumia 920 for a few days. Please qualify what you mean by "it won't work properly anyway". I've used Waze for my iPhone for a while and i'd love to see it on WP8.
He's just being facetious.

It may come in the future if WP8 shows any signs of breaking the duopoly but waze for WP is not currently expected.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
top_gun_de wrote:Well, I consider your absolute point-of-no-return-attitude a little too strict.

Windows Phone 8 is so new that nearly no one has yet written software for it. It is compatible with WP7, but the API-restrictions on WP7 were so harsh that the GPS-software was close to zero. Apps couldn't perform as well on WP7 as on iOS or Android.

WP8 has been released about 2 weeks ago, and it's upcoming market share is yet to be determined. You should allow any company, especially a small company as waze the time to determine if WP8 and it's numbers justify a newly-developed client.

Waze for WP8 would be an entirely new beast - iOS-Apps are written in Objective-C, Android-Apps in Java, and WP8-apps in the .net-supported languages like C#. Add to that the platform-differences, and you might get an impression how much effort it would be for a small company to support an entirely different smartphone system with yet another version of Waze.
+1
Most sensible post on the topic yet!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by F15Ranger-
xteejx wrote:If it's anything like Windows 8,it won't work properly anyway. Stick with what you have lol

Seriously though I've not heard anything about Wazes plans for WP platform, currently its just android and iOS because of the market share.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Windows 8 is not the problem. Its your old ass hardware or the user itself. I have no issues with Win8 or WS2012. Once you get past the first 10 minutes of WTF your golden.
F15Ranger-
Send a message

Post by F15Ranger-
hailstorm wrote:At present I have exactly 0 navigation programs on my HTC 8x. Really hope Waze reconsiders support for Windows Phone now WP8 is out.
Hopefully this is a sign its coming.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-accide ... -waze-app/
F15Ranger-
Send a message

Post by fiftiesdean
If it's anything like Windows 8,it won't work properly anyway. Stick with what you have lol
I've been using Windows 8 for a while and I've been using a Lumia 920 for a few days. Please qualify what you mean by "it won't work properly anyway". I've used Waze for my iPhone for a while and i'd love to see it on WP8.
fiftiesdean
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84

Seriously though I've not heard anything about Wazes plans for WP platform, currently its just android and iOS because of the market share.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message