Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by rottielover
To try and get back to point, I'd just like to say that the Nokia Lumina 920 is a very nice device. I've switched from my iPhone3gs and I don't plan on swapping the 920 for an iPhone5.

Given the fact that MS has Windows 8 on tablets like the surface, I think it would pay off for Waze to consider looking into writing or porting the app over. I don't claim to understand every detail, but it seems like you can write your app once and make it available to Phones, Tablets, and Desktops in one swoop.

Anyway, I just hope they consider writing the app for Win8 phone, the devices are nice, and I think you're going to see market share shifting, maybe not quickly, but I think it's going to start happening.
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///9EKWfE[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | To Do - St. Louis MO
To Do - Missouri | Missouri Mapping Resources | Missouri Forum

Post by Scorp42
thnninen wrote:Oh, they will see, they deinitely will.

Arrogance only hurts companies and services. ...
LOL at the irony of you calling someone else ... arrogant, with such an arrogant flare!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by Sherlock-
I too hope for a WP8 app - I use android on my S3 now as it is my company provided device, but we are moving to WP as a platform so I will not have Waze anymore it appears. I was hoping to see that it was coming but it does not appear to be so.

WP8 now supports native code and all other major needs of waze, and as was mentioned others have even hacked it to work. If it can be hacked to work then it could be made to work lol. Ah well, trapster is there so I'll use it and Nokia drive/maps for now.

Waze, if you come over there are users there for sure. Platform was small to start but it is doing pretty well now really.
Sherlock-
Send a message

Post by springstone
Too bad Waze for WP8 isn't on the cards. iPhone (5 even) are at least a year behind everyone else in terms of product development, and WP8 is just fantastic (especially the Nokia Lumia 920).

As others on the list, I'm ditching my hugely disappointing iPhone 5 for the Lumia 920. Fortunately, it comes with Nokia Maps, so all is not lost. I will miss Waze though, it's my favorite iOS app... and is vastly better than anything else on the platform.
springstone
Send a message

Post by spyweb
Microsoft should buy Waze LOL. Done. Integrate it with sharepoint just like every other company they are buying hahaha! :o
spyweb
Send a message
Stop complaining, Live your Life, You've only got one!
Area Manager - North East - Massachusetts

Post by sucks422
I'd imagine MS would be willing to offer some support seeing how nokia has a stranglehold on the maps department of WP8. Rumors of the surface phone as well, what maps will we run on there? http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48264/n ... -8-devices
sucks422
Send a message

Post by thnninen
I can only speak for myself, but I'm switching to WP8 as soon as my Lumia 920 arrives. I'll miss my waze a bit, but I'll grow out of it. And, I'll have to add, once they've lost me as a user, I'm not coming back.

If they don't care for their customers, I don't want to use them. Simple as that. You can only lose me as a user once.
thnninen
Send a message

Post by thnninen
Oh, they will see, they deinitely will.

Arrogance only hurts companies and services. And communities. They might think they're so important that they force people to choose Android or iOS, but I'm pretty sure they'll find out they're not.

They don't have to care about my choice, but then again can they afford losing users? They think they do, I disagree.

I can live without waze, can they survive without users?
thnninen
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
springstone wrote:Too bad Waze for WP8 isn't on the cards. iPhone (5 even) are at least a year behind everyone else in terms of product development, and WP8 is just fantastic (especially the Nokia Lumia 920).

As others on the list, I'm ditching my hugely disappointing iPhone 5 for the Lumia 920. Fortunately, it comes with Nokia Maps, so all is not lost. I will miss Waze though, it's my favorite iOS app... and is vastly better than anything else on the platform.
Well, the maturity of iOS can be judged with different criteria. Concerning MDM and data protection, iOS maintains its advantage of 1-2 years ahead of Android and Windows Phone 8 with constant improvements in these areas.

However, we might switch to Windows Phone 8 if the advantages in office- and sharepoint integration measure up with the disadvantages of a more difficult deployment on Windows Phone 8. That's a fleet of appx. 350 devices, 18 of which have Waze installed (counted by our MDM).

Losing Waze would be bad, but it's not our top priority when it comes to platform selection.

Best regards,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Well, I consider your absolute point-of-no-return-attitude a little too strict.

Windows Phone 8 is so new that nearly no one has yet written software for it. It is compatible with WP7, but the API-restrictions on WP7 were so harsh that the GPS-software was close to zero. Apps couldn't perform as well on WP7 as on iOS or Android.

WP8 has been released about 2 weeks ago, and it's upcoming market share is yet to be determined. You should allow any company, especially a small company as waze the time to determine if WP8 and it's numbers justify a newly-developed client.

Waze for WP8 would be an entirely new beast - iOS-Apps are written in Objective-C, Android-Apps in Java, and WP8-apps in the .net-supported languages like C#. Add to that the plattform-differences, and you might get an impression how much effort it would be for a small company to support an entirely different smartphone system with yet another version of Waze.

Best regards,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message