Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

More information on what was done about my problem report?

Post by tgp1994
I really love the fact that waze notifies me when someone has corrected a problem I have reported about the map, although I would like to know more... Primarily, what exactly was done about it. I'm afraid taking me to the general location of where I reported the problem is not enough (unless I'm missing something?) :( I was hoping that it might be possible for the map editor to highlight the changes (sort of in a file difference viewer). I would imagine that parameters like this could be provided to the editor in the URL, could they not?

Many thanks, Waze team!
tgp1994

POSTER_ID:10292790

Send a message
Waze is a wonderful app, but your safety and the safety of the drivers around you comes first!

Post by jasonh300
tgp1994 wrote:I really love the fact that waze notifies me when someone has corrected a problem I have reported about the map, although I would like to know more... Primarily, what exactly was done about it. I'm afraid taking me to the general location of where I reported the problem is not enough (unless I'm missing something?) :( I was hoping that it might be possible for the map editor to highlight the changes (sort of in a file difference viewer). I would imagine that parameters like this could be provided to the editor in the URL, could they not?

Many thanks, Waze team!
You can look at the segments around the area and see if they were edited recently. If you're uncertain, the name of the person who responded to your request is there, and you can send that person a PM through the forums asking for, or giving additional details.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgp1994 wrote:I don't think it was a street change, at least it shouldn't have been, but I will check in with the updater. Thanks!
What exactly did you request in the report?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgp1994 wrote:I was reporting that an address was quite a bit off from where it should have been, the building's driveway was about 30 feet from the reported location, not to mention the actual driveway that had to be driven :( (This place isn't actually well marked on the road, the sign kind of comes up pretty fast).
While we now have the ability to enter addresses into the editor to correct bad locations, there are still some bugs in the system, and as of right now, the client app doesn't reference that data when looking up an address.

Locations are looked up via Bing or Google, which then returns GPS coordinates to Waze. Waze then routes to those coordinates.

The problem is likely with Bing or Google. Whoever responded to your Update Request should've marked it "Not Identified", rather than "Solved".
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgp1994 wrote:I would like to update this (sorry for the bump though):

I just entered the address both into Bing and Google Maps; they pinpoint the location directly in the middle of the building. Waze, however, still prefers to route to some odd point on the main road off of the hotels driveway. Does waze take a somewhat long time to take new road additions into consideration when it's routing? I'm pretty sure I added the driveway in a few weeks ago.
If that's the point where it's routing to, that's not going to change by adding a driveway. When you search for a location in the Waze app, you have the option of switching to Bing or Google as a search provider. If you do that, does it route properly?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgp1994 wrote: I was just assuming that Waze was using some sort of cached routing information, and it was snapping to the closest road or something... Just a guess :)

Sadly, it doesn't. Both providers stay in the same location, on the main road.
Waze will route to the closest point on a road to the GPS coordinates of the destination. So you were right that putting in a driveway or a parking lot road will often fix this sort of thing...as long as that parking lot road is closer to the actual destination point than the road. It sounds like this is the issue.

I think you're on the right track but post a permalink to the location and let me take a look at it and I'll be able to give you a better explanation.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The driveway is a dead end, but didn't have an end node, so it's as good as not there. Waze can't route to or from a point on a road without a node on both ends.

I fixed it for you. That will most likely solve the problem.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Laakkus
jasonh300 wrote:
You can look at the segments around the area and see if they were edited recently. If you're uncertain, the name of the person who responded to your request is there .
And for that, a great tool is color highlights userscript.
Just smudged the touchscreen with Tapatalk
Laakkus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Area manager: Some cities
Country manager: Finland
Suomenkielinen Wiki | Asemien tarkistus | Editointiohje
i9300 | Resurrection Remix | Waze 3.9

Post by tgp1994
I don't think it was a street change, at least it shouldn't have been, but I will check in with the updater. Thanks!
tgp1994
Send a message
Waze is a wonderful app, but your safety and the safety of the drivers around you comes first!

Post by tgp1994
I was reporting that an address was quite a bit off from where it should have been, the building's driveway was about 30 feet from the reported location, not to mention the actual driveway that had to be driven :( (This place isn't actually well marked on the road, the sign kind of comes up pretty fast).
tgp1994
Send a message