"In one mile…"

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: "In one mile…"

Postby CBenson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Once again, what's the problem with "in one mile, turn right?"
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:57 pm

The instruction means that you should get ready now, because a turn is coming up in one mile. But if you don't first tell the driver how far ahead the next maneuver will be, there is a moment of uncertainty & anxiety that it might be coming much sooner. We don't want people panic-braking on the highway when they hear "Get ready to turn right...", only to be followed by, "...in one mile."

In a moving vehicle, the distance (or time) to the next maneuver must come first.
harling

Postby timbucks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 pm

I still find the queuing of instructions for closely spaced junctions wrong. You'll get "in 800 metres get ready to turn left and then turn right"... why would I want to confuse everyone by getting ready for a left turn and then actually turn right? In such cases the get ready has to go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
timbucks

Postby cherianchris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm

So, how would you have it sound?

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby cherianchris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:10 am

I'm sure you would slow down on approaching the location! :smile:

The prompt is telling you, indirectly to slow down as well..

There a distance counter on the screen as well. So if you can grab a glance you'll have a good idea, when to start turning, as you would have slowed down, sufficiently by then.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Scorp42 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 pm

This is the one single thing about the client app that I wish Waze would change! My wife comments on the 'in one mile, get ready to turn right ' everytime we go somewhere. She hates it, its the only reason she refuses to use Waze, and has actually asked me to stop using it when she is in the car.

However, if you use the 'minimal' voice instruction instead of 'Full' it sounds a LOT better.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42

Postby cherianchris » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Well, here in India, we get the first voice command at 800 metres, which is good distance to switch lanes. Unless you are driving a Super car!
:shock:

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re:

Postby OldGnome » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm

timbucks wrote:I still find the queuing of instructions for closely spaced junctions wrong. You'll get "in 800 metres get ready to turn left and then turn right"... why would I want to confuse everyone by getting ready for a left turn and then actually turn right? In such cases the get ready has to go.

I consider that queueing to be very accurate and correct. I hear that and I am ready to not only turn left at the noted distance, but then be prepared to turn right.

Waze is not suggesting that you prepare for turning one direction only to turn the other. It never has.
OldGnome

Re:

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:42 pm

timbucks wrote:I still find the queuing of instructions for closely spaced junctions wrong. You'll get "in 800 metres get ready to turn left and then turn right"... why would I want to confuse everyone by getting ready for a left turn and then actually turn right? In such cases the get ready has to go.

That's just one of those ambiguous statements. Strictly speaking, it is correct, "get ready to 'turn left and then turn right'" which is two separate turns, but some people like to think it's confusing when it actually isn't. The "and" pulls together two distinct turns into a single sentence. Waze does not say, "get ready to turn left but then turn right" but that's what people want to hear I guess.

"Be ready to turn left followed by a right turn" would be less ambiguous.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re:

Postby harling » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm

cherianchris wrote:I'm sure you would slow down on approaching the location! :smile:
The prompt is telling you, indirectly to slow down as well..

On the highway, "In one mile..." means I have about a minute before my next maneuver. If I'm in the inside lane, I need to start heading to the outside. I do not need to slow down yet, and people behind me will be annoyed if I do.

"In a quarter mile..." means my next maneuver takes place about 15 seconds after the start of the announcement--and perhaps half that by the time the announcement is completed. If I'm not already in the correct lane, I need to get over now or I'm going to miss my turn, and it may already be too late to start slowing down, depending on the ramp.

By telling the driver that a turn is coming up, but not mentioning which of the above two scenarios applies until the very end of the announcement--by which point the remaining distance/time may have decreased considerably--there is a period of ambiguity during which the driver doesn't know if he has a leisurely minute in which to prepare, or is about to miss his turn entirely.
There a distance counter on the screen as well. So if you can grab a glance you'll have a good idea, when to start turning, as you would have slowed down, sufficiently by then.

Having to read the remaining distance indicator, in order to decide whether you need to slow down immediately and/or make a mad dash for the outside lane, is not acceptable. The purpose of audible directions is to reduce your dependence on the screen, so you can keep your eyes on the road and drive more safely. Since spoken instructions are one-dimensional (i.e., they can only impart information in the order in which it is presented), that ordering is critical.
harling

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests