"In one mile…"

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: "In one mile…"

Postby pzly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm glad I brought this topic up. It seems that many people are tripped up by the grammar. I think the goal of having the distance instruction first makes perfect sense but trying to use a casual form of speech seems to be frustrating for some. I've been managing just fine after switching from "including street names" to "directions only (with themes)" as the navigation guidance setting but would still like to see(or hear) the correct grammar being used.
pzly

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:33 pm

harling wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:"Be prepared to turn right in one mile"

Since it doesn't start out with the distance, you won't know if it is it one mile, a quarter mile, 0.1 mile etc. until the end of the instruction (by which time you might fly past the turn, if you don't hit the brakes as a precaution).

Which is why, "in one mile, be ready to turn right" is, IMO, still the best compromise between intent and grammar.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:07 am

jasonh300 wrote:"Be prepared to turn right in one mile"

Since it doesn't start out with the distance, you won't know if it is it one mile, a quarter mile, 0.1 mile etc. until the end of the instruction (by which time you might fly past the turn, if you don't hit the brakes as a precaution).
harling

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:53 am

"Be prepared to turn right in one mile"
jasonh300

Postby harling » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 am

CBenson wrote:Once again, what's the problem with "in one mile, turn right?"

Whether this is intentional is anyone's guess, but IMO the "get ready" serves as a second layer of defense against panic braking & turning. If there is a long delay between the distance announcement (e.g., "in one mile...") and the turn direction (e.g., "...turn left"), or the driver does not hear the distance announcement for some reason, the "...turn left" instruction sounds immediate. Prefacing it with "get ready to..." clarifies that the maneuver is not immediate.

As has been suggested before, "In one mile, be ready to turn right" serves all the same functions.
harling

Postby Daknife » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm with Harling on this, I think the wording is grammatically correct for the purpose, "Hey driver dude (or dudette) in about one mile, get ready to turn right."

At this point it's a warning not an instruction, and thus the warning should advise you to get ready.
Thus it presents the needed data: "Distance"; "Be prepared"; "To turn right". At one mile out, even at 75 mph one mile is more than adequate time to change lanes or otherwise prepare for and upcoming turn, then when at the point of the turn the driver is mentally ready for the "Turn Right" instruction (not to mention at least one in between prompting.)
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby DallasGrant » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:39 am

I have never been extremely upset about the wording, but I have taken notice to this as well many times before and always wondered about the "get ready" part too as it sounds silly the way it is wording because in one mile I would be in the process of completing my turn lol
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby OldGnome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Yes, the grammar could be cleaned up a bit in English, but I would rather have the notice that I need to prepare to make a turn a mile in advance than none at all.
OldGnome

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Oh, it's not what mine says either. I just don't see why we need that "get ready to" that people complain about.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby pzly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 am

CBenson wrote:Once again, what's the problem with "in one mile, turn right?"

Nothing, but that's not what mine says. I'll try the minimal voice instruction setting as mentioned.
pzly

Next

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests