Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

"In one mile…"

Post by
I don't quite get the phrase "In one mile, get ready to turn right". Shouldn't I be getting ready to turn right long before then? It seems the actual turn is one mile from the time I hear this statement. "Get ready to turn right in one mile", or "In one mile, turn right", or "In one mile you will turn right", etc. might better sooth the grammarian. Anyone else find this construct just a little odd?

POSTER_ID:11462046

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I still think, in order to make it sound like a "prepare" statement, say, "be ready" instead.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:"Be prepared to turn right in one mile"
Since it doesn't start out with the distance, you won't know if it is it one mile, a quarter mile, 0.1 mile etc. until the end of the instruction (by which time you might fly past the turn, if you don't hit the brakes as a precaution).
Which is why, "in one mile, be ready to turn right" is, IMO, still the best compromise between intent and grammar.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
timbucks wrote:I still find the queuing of instructions for closely spaced junctions wrong. You'll get "in 800 metres get ready to turn left and then turn right"... why would I want to confuse everyone by getting ready for a left turn and then actually turn right? In such cases the get ready has to go.
That's just one of those ambiguous statements. Strictly speaking, it is correct, "get ready to 'turn left and then turn right'" which is two separate turns, but some people like to think it's confusing when it actually isn't. The "and" pulls together two distinct turns into a single sentence. Waze does not say, "get ready to turn left but then turn right" but that's what people want to hear I guess.

"Be ready to turn left followed by a right turn" would be less ambiguous.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Once again, what's the problem with "in one mile, turn right?"
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Oh, it's not what mine says either. I just don't see why we need that "get ready to" that people complain about.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cherianchris
Well, here in India, we get the first voice command at 800 metres, which is good distance to switch lanes. Unless you are driving a Super car!
:shock:

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
I'm sure you would slow down on approaching the location! :smile:

The prompt is telling you, indirectly to slow down as well..

There a distance counter on the screen as well. So if you can grab a glance you'll have a good idea, when to start turning, as you would have slowed down, sufficiently by then.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Post by cherianchris
So, how would you have it sound?

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
I'm with Harling on this, I think the wording is grammatically correct for the purpose, "Hey driver dude (or dudette) in about one mile, get ready to turn right."

At this point it's a warning not an instruction, and thus the warning should advise you to get ready.
Thus it presents the needed data: "Distance"; "Be prepared"; "To turn right". At one mile out, even at 75 mph one mile is more than adequate time to change lanes or otherwise prepare for and upcoming turn, then when at the point of the turn the driver is mentally ready for the "Turn Right" instruction (not to mention at least one in between prompting.)
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by DallasGrant
I have never been extremely upset about the wording, but I have taken notice to this as well many times before and always wondered about the "get ready" part too as it sounds silly the way it is wording because in one mile I would be in the process of completing my turn lol
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message