Mark Traffic Patterns

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Mark Traffic Patterns

Postby mikeholczer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 pm

The coloring needs indicate speed relative to the speed limit.
mikeholczer

Re: Re: Mark Traffic Patterns

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm

mikeholczer wrote:The coloring needs indicate speed relative to the speed limit.

But we don't have speed limits
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Mark Traffic Patterns

Postby mikeholczer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:38 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
mikeholczer wrote:The coloring needs indicate speed relative to the speed limit.

Then let's get speed limits. People can report speed limits just like they report hazards and cops.
mikeholczer

Re: Re: Re: Mark Traffic Patterns

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm

mikeholczer wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:

Then let's get speed limits. People can report speed limits just like they report hazards and cops.

Whole other conversation that is way more complicated than anyone hankering for it ever appreciates! It's under consideration but most veteran users, myself included, are against it!
dmcconachie

Postby mikeholczer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Can you suggest a forum post that contains a discussion about the problems of collecting speed limits?
mikeholczer

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Speed limits are only a nice-to-have feature. Waze works with real traffic data, so regardless of what a segment's speed limit may be, Waze works off of what the limit really is at any given time of day. I also would seriously hate to see every single segment on the entire map colored mostly green, with sprinklings of red, orange and yellow. It would be a horrible mess and would be pointless. And actual speed relative to speed limit is a useless data point. What is useful and actionable data, however is actual speed relative to expected speed that time of day.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:02 pm

dmcconachie

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

The one thing that would be nice with map colored green with sprinklings of red, orange and yellow, would be the knowledge of which segments have realtime data. Color would mean that the segment has realtime data. I agree that this would not be the best way to disseminate this information, but it would be useful information to me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby wickedlou9 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Speed limits are only a nice-to-have feature. Waze works with real traffic data, so regardless of what a segment's speed limit may be, Waze works off of what the limit really is at any given time of day. I also would seriously hate to see every single segment on the entire map colored mostly green, with sprinklings of red, orange and yellow. It would be a horrible mess and would be pointless. And actual speed relative to speed limit is a useless data point. What is useful and actionable data, however is actual speed relative to expected speed that time of day.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I can see the argument and it's not without validity but traffic is traffic, even if it's typical for that road at that time of day. If I don't normally travel a road and I see that it's green, I have no expectation that there is "traffic" on that road. Even if I travel the road every day, I would like to know how bad the traffic is.

I drive the same route, pretty much, every day to and from work. It's 50 miles each way. I have two main choices to get to and from work. One is Route 295 and the other is the NJ Turn Pike. 295 is a little shorter but they are both almost the same. the TP is a toll road, 295 is not. The traffic can really vary on the best route ( 295) quite significantly. I don't know what waze thinks is the normal speed at rush hour but if there is traffic I need to know what that means. Sometimes there are traffic "pins" all over the map but waze will report that the road is green. I guess it's because waze knows that there is normally traffic there so it ignores it? So that makes it harder for me to decide which route will be best. The other day I ignored the pins and trusted the red/green and stuck with 295... It took me 2 hours to go 50 miles. Worst commute I have ever had. Normal time is 1 hour. I assume it was because Waze knows there is normally traffic on that road so it didn't alert me?
wickedlou9

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Use navigation and stop making the decision yourself! This isn't Google Maps.
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests