If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Suggestion: Mass Updating with pre-set road configurations

Post by rtwolfe
I find a LOT of my time is spent repeating the same tasks over and over, but for only one road segment at a time. We all could be a lot more productive if we could Control Click a large number of road segments and then apply a common road configuration to all segments at once.

Key Settings

Edit Panel - road segment
- Road Type (Freeway, Major Highway, ... Street)
- Direction
- Separating Line
- Locked Indicator

Edit Panel - not properly connected road segments
- Connect roads by order of selection

Edit Panel - junctions
- enable all turns

What I'm suggesting is a modification of the edit panel that will appear when an area manager selects (control clicks) more than 3 road segments at a time.

Scenario 1 - Fixing Freeway segments
I have control clicked about 20 freeway segments going from east to west on the same freeway. I want them all to be connected, pointing in the same direction (westbound) and locked. I click the first two road segments and the current edit panel changes occur as before, but when I click a third segment I get a new version of the edit panel that has a link called "Mass Update" on the refreshed Edit Panel.

If I click the "Mass Update" link, the special "Mass Update" edit panel comes up. (The Mass Update panel remembers my Mass Update settings from the last time I used it but will let me click or un-click my Mass Update settings that I want to use this time.) Also, when I click 3 roads, Mass Updating also tags the junctions that do connect or even ADDS new Junctions if the roads SHOULD CONNECT (but are not yet connected, even though I clicked them in a continuous westbound order).

Also, specific turn and road connectivity settings will be applied to all the selected segments and junctions using the following rules.

Turn settings
a - A turn from any road into a 2 way road is always allowed.
b - A turn from any road into a 1 way road is never allowed, if the directions are opposed.
c - A turn from any road into a 1 way road is always allowed, if the directions are the same.
d - A turn from any road into a No entrance road is never allowed.

Connectivity at a Junction
- A junction from a 2 way road to a 2 way road always has connectivity flowing in both directions on both roads.
- A junction from a 2 way road to a 1 way road always has connectivity flowing from the 2 way into the one way, where the direction is the same. A 1 way road will have a connectivity flow to a 2 way road, if 1 way road's direction flows 'toward' the junction. A 1 way road will never have connectivity to a 2 way road, if 1 way road's direction flows 'away from' the junction.
- A Junction from a 1 way road to a 1 way road always has connectivity flowing from the 1 way into the connected one way, where the direction is the same.
- A Junction from a 1 way road to a 1 way road never has connectivity flowing from the 1 way into the connected one way, where the direction is the opposite.
- A Junction from a No entrance road never shows any connectivity between the No entrance road and any other road at the junction.

Lastly on the Edit panel I can set (or leave unchanged) the
Road Type, Direction, Separating Line and Locked Indicator. When I click Save Changes, the same settings will be applied to all selected road segments, the connected junctions (that tie two roads and NOT any 'stray' junctions that are in the middle of a segment) and the road connectivity for all the segments.

P.S. Can you give us an Undo Changes too, in case we goof.

Scenario 2 - fixing city streets by control clicking a lot of blocks

Same as above but as soon as I click a road segment that is Not connected (as in a parallel road segment a block away), Cartouch sets a flag to pop up a warning box when I am ready to apply my settings.

Then when I click Save Changes, a pop up appears that says "The same direction will be applied, but some roads are not connected". The Area manager can then decide if they want to go ahead or stop and correct the problem.

Again with an undo
rtwolfe

POSTER_ID:219180

Send a message
Area Manager - Edina Mn
Have a great day!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c2/T ... ogo_sm.JPG

Post by BrutusNL
I surely hope they will not use the OSM data in the same way they did with the basemap. Don't get me wrong, for areas that have no maps at all it is perfect, but it messed up half of my hometown, since the basemap had all these contruction roads still in place (that had long been removed) and many junctions got disconnected. All my hard manual labour down the drain. On the other hand...editing is very addictive and now I get double points for editing the same roads again ;-)
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by BrutusNL
waynemcdougall wrote:I'd have to say OSM data is of much higher quality
Oh, but I don't disagree with that. It's just that when they infused the basemap, many of my manual edits where messed up, so pedestrian boardwalks in a park e.g. where suddenly only straight, unconnected stretches of road. Many of the connections I made where suddenly disconnected et cetera. All I'm saying is I hope they will be more conservative in changing areas where someone has already manually editted the map.
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by jaimevisser
What shorty just pointed out, i had posted in one of your topics yesterday. Also, mapping the world with just mobile phones is turning out to work quite good, thank you. In the netherlands waze is nearly as accurate as any other sat-nav. Yes, it took some effort, but now we are reaping the rewards. Did i mention waze is FREE? Also, it's not hard to uninstall it, you should give it a whirl.
jaimevisser
Send a message
Area manager Oss, Heesch (Netherlands)
Samsung Galaxy S2 | Toyota Auris 1.8 HSD (white)

Post by noodlesnz
waynemcdougall wrote:With OpenStreetMaps moving to a new license, Waze may be able to use their data.

See http://opengeodata.org/thanks-and-huge- ... nstreetmap
Interesting, although in a lot of places Waze is more accurate than OSM. Hopefully this will just fill in the gaps if Waze decide to use OSM.
noodlesnz
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
OSM can't be used, so there is no point in continually bringing it up. Obviously you haven't spent much, or any, time editing here. I mapped over 1600 km of Vancouver Island by myself without any satellite pictures (which don't help much anyway) in a relatively short amount of time. What is the point of you coming here to say our efforts are a waste of time? If you don't want to map with Waze, then don't. Nobody is forcing you to do so. And you discouraging others from doing so is pointless. Take it somewhere else, please. We can get along just fine without your negative behaviour.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by waynemcdougall
With OpenStreetMaps moving to a new license, Waze may be able to use their data.

See http://opengeodata.org/thanks-and-huge- ... nstreetmap
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by waynemcdougall
I'd have to say OSM data is of much higher quality
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by zCougar
In theory Waze should be much more accurate than OSM maps that base on user submissions. Waze has a lot of tracks you can average, OSM streets are often based on just one track. At the same time there are also very accurate regions in OSM based on official data. So, you can't just compare them without knowing what area you compare.

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Waze 4.83.5.1: Galaxy S21 5G | | Atom
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis

Post by zyonc70
Nice suggestion.
But more hours spent will be saved if waze used existing free map information avaliable on sites such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .
Getting the world mapped with the info provided by an in-phone GPS is a very hard work.
Waze is perfect to provide real time information along the way, but this information can go over others maps (more accurate maps, made from proffesionals with professional tools and Info. Accurate GPS devices, satellite images...)
We can´t map the world with our mobile phones. Trying to do so is a big waste of time.
How long does it take to map a small european city with an out of date satellite picture, an unnaccurate GPS info, your pc, the cartouche?
zyonc70
Send a message
Wazing on an iphone 3GS all over Galicia (Spain)