Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Adding Schools To Reduce Child injury & Save Lives!

Post by kevinhome
Add New Features!

I think it would be a great idea if you have the option to REPORT schools so they are shown on the map. This would be a very nice safety option so you know when to take action and slow down!!

Hope the developer thinks it’s a good idea too so to add this option in.
kevinhome

POSTER_ID:13303431

Send a message
Last edited by kevinhome on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kevinhome wrote:Question. The current process used to identify speed cameras, is that also a timed based function?
No
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Waze currently doesn't support any sort of time based restrictions (i.e. turn restrictions, road directionality) which most school zones are. Waze also does not track speed limits, just the average speed of the segment (broken down into 10-15 minute chunks). So Waze will know if a segment slows down everyday between 2pm & 3pm (when the kids are getting out of school) and take that into consideration while routing.

Also, Hazard reports are temporary - like a car stopped on the shoulder - and timeout after a period of time (slower if people hit "thanks", faster if people hit "not there").
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Daknife
about all you can do at this time is put in landmarks for schools. This won't produce any warning but it will appear on the map. And while Waze doesn't handle time based restrictions, it does note the slow-downs and attempt to route you around them. I've ignored it's advice on more than one occasion thinking I knew the faster route only to realize I'd forgotten about the school my route took me past just as school was letting out.

If they ever implement a time based restriction and notification system school zone warnings would be a great idea.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by grinvaldsjanis
As I tried map editing I know that maps include school category objects as well so warning about school territory/zone could be made also by waze without users interaction. Maybe this feature could work only at week days and daytime.
But as parent, I totally agree that such warning could improve waze.
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message
Waze Latvia Social expert

Post by kevinhome
Thanks AndyPoms for your reply.

When I first added my suggestion for improvements on reporting “schools” I was a new user, just a “baby waze” lol with not much knowledge of how truly the app both worked and interface with information both users could add and which was possible to add with its current features. Since then I have had much time to understand the workings of Waze.

Identifying Schools/School zones could be done in the same way we can add speed or traffic cameras within Waze when mobile. These could be then verified when logging into the map updates facility. Not sure to the amount of time a developer would require to write and test the feature but, this would be a very big safety feature to add. Thousands of Waze users worldwide drive into areas that they are not formula too each day. This very much includes driving near to or past school zones. If a school location could be identified just like a speed/traffic cameras are then drives know to reduce their speed if required. This feature could save lives and Waze could be behind it!

I’d be happy to hear what you think.

Many thanks.
kevinhome
Send a message

Post by kevinhome
Question. The current process used to identify speed cameras, is that also a timed based function?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2
kevinhome
Send a message

Post by kevinhome
As an option to show school on waze then, it could be set up in the same way as speed cameras are placed on wase maps now by users. Users click on the maps to highlight the school when they pass one. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2
kevinhome
Send a message