Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Permanent Red Light Cameras

Post by wickedlou9
Something odd I noticed. There is an intersection near me with red lights cameras. the cameras are physically installed at the location and they are quite permanent. Waze still offers me the ability to say that they are not there when the alert pops up. It was as if they might be transient like a speed trap. A red light camera should be permanent, as permanent as the road itself, and only editable by someone going into the map editor to remove it.
wickedlou9

POSTER_ID:7422907

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I somewhat agree with you, wickelou9. However, as Andy points out, when things change, it is a good feature to have to allow someone to report a camera is no longer there. However, the way it works now is not very helpful.

We've asked, and will ask again, Waze to change the "Not there" to submit a map issue (Update Request) rather than simply move the camera one step closer to be unapproved (per the info in the Cameras page). Also, reporting new Cameras should be put into the Map Issue report as well. Right now, the edit map is spammed with tens of thousands of speed, rlc, and dummy cameras which were reported by users who don't know what a real camera is, or who are "playing" with the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
In some jurisdictions they keep the cases for the cameras around all the time, but the cameras move around from intersection to intersection. Also in areas with out ANY photo enforcement we are constantly removing reported cameras - having the "not there" in the app will vote them out of approval status if someone were to approve a cameras that isn't really there.

Also, see the Cameras page of the wiki for more information.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ