If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

WOW: Delivered - Cartouche Practice Route function

Post by
Earlier, I suggested Waze add a practice route function in Cartouche.
Suggestion: Update Map - Practice Route function
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3342

I was hoping this would be added but, Oscar, found that somehow the function exists.

Basically, in Cartouch, all you need to do, is to select a road segment (which sets the start) and then scoll to control click another non-adjacent road segment (which sets the end of the route). Once both road segments are clicked, a "show route" option appears on the edit menu. If you click the "show route" link, a purple route line appears.

Oscar wondered if this only worked in firefox. I tested it with IE and Safari as well and all three could produce a routing in Cartouch. I think this will be very useful in debugging complex freeway intersections to be sure, when you are finished editing, that the ramps work.

Thanks Waze Dev. I also checked Announcement and updates, the Map Editing Wiki - especially the Edit window functions and I cannot see any formal documentation of the added function. But please don't take it way. I will save me a lot of gas and time that I used to spend 'test driving' to see if my area freeways were properly configured. Thanks Waze

Below are the screen shots from the 3 browsers

Safari
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Safari_routing.jpg

IE
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/79/IE_Routing.jpg

Firefox
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/4/4a/Firefox_route.jpg

POSTER_ID:219180

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Although this is probably not the correct forum to mention it, has anyone noticed that there can be a big difference in time from when the mobile client maps get updated vs the Live maps at Waze.com?
The tiles on the client won't update unless you drive through or route through the immediate area of the edits you made. Some client versions allow you to force refresh, like the iPhone, but even then I have seen edits of mine which are 100s of miles way not appear until I actually drove through the area.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by amitbena
PeterG wrote:
krankyd wrote: In other cases where it fails it might simply be a bug, which again - is something we have to look into.
Strange enough it never worked for me. As you can see in my example I even tried the most simple possible route to no avail. Of course I tried other routings where there might have been no route but in the last time I tried lots of really simple routes working in the live map and the client with all connected segments but no route shown by "show route" of the edit panel.
If no route can be found there should be a message at least but I always get only the circle of no return which can't be stopped except refreshing the page.

Regards

Peter
Hi all,

We are aware that there is a bug in the "Show route" feature in the servers out of USA.
And we are looking in to it,

Thanks,
Amit
Waze Support
amitbena
Send a message

Post by FrisbeeDog
I'm on the US server and I don't have this option. I tried both Chrome and Firefox (although I don't think this option would be browser specific).
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina

Post by FrisbeeDog
I just tried to road segments ~15 miles apart with CTRL+click and still no route option.
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina

Post by fvwazing
Last time I tried it still did not work.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by GizmoGuy411
Does anyone see this function any longer, or is dead in the water for now?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
This is too bad. I hope the function is at least still somewhere on their back burner.

While some get the never ending timer, I don't even see the option.

Although this is probably not the correct forum to mention it, has anyone noticed that there can be a big difference in time from when the mobile client maps get updated vs the Live maps at Waze.com?

Lately I've seen my edits show up withing a couple of days on the client, but not on the Live maps at Waze.com for weeks.

I find it curious that they are not in sync with each other. I guess they must be on completely different servers.

In order to track when my edits appear, I've created a fake private road on a nearby lake, that has my last edit date and time as the road name. It is in a somewhat populated area, so I may move it in the future out to farm land somewhere. Then some farmer on his tractor can get points for driving on it!
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by krankyd
Hi,
we realize this feature is available for some people, while others simply don't see it on their cartouche. This has nothing to do with browser, rather something in the cartouche settings (on our side).
We will do our best so that in the next update all users will see and be able to use this feature.

Why it fails - I guess we'll have to look into each case and check it individually. Keep in mind that this feature is using the routing mechanism that's available on your phone. That is, it will give you the same route that you get on your phone. However, it uses the most updated tiles - the ones you just edited on the cartouche - in order to build the practice route.
So if you just made a big change in segments that are part of this route, it could explain the failure (the tiles of the routing server are not synched with the tiles of teh cartouche you're currently viewing).

In other cases where it fails it might simply be a bug, which again - is something we have to look into.

Hope that helps to clarify some stuff...
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by naesstrom
That's weird, in my Cartouche I don't have the "Get Directions" part that you have. that's only available in Livemap for some reason!
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by noodlesnz
Cool, that's handy!

I've got a nice find that I'll blog about tonight, helps users who don't have aerial/base maps.
noodlesnz
Send a message