Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Editor Levels

Post by filmless1
I think the stages at which editors can move up levels is a bit unrealistic. Some of us are VERY fast learners and strive for perfection. I have applied for AM in my county, for which I am a county sheriff and know the roads very well, and desire to edit MUCH more that is not correct.

Does anyone know who I can contact about that? I know my edit count is low but I have played with ALL the capabilities of the Map Editor and know it VERY well.

Thanks! :)
filmless1

POSTER_ID:11438014

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Enter 'ranks' or 'manager' into the Quick Help box on the Support page to start.

History of editors (generalized) shows that most users don't learn quickly or pay attention to the guidelines in the wiki. Also, at least some level of participation in the forums in nearly required to keep up with new features, changes, updates to code which affects how roads and junctions are used, etc. Both of you have never posted here before and so, by default, there will be a certain amount of "skepticism" about your experience with the editor and ability to edit according to the guidelines. (We've also been "burned" by a number of users bent on nothing but acquiring more of these awesomely useful points.)

Waze only uses your last 3-months of drives to determine your driven editable area. Most of the community has agreed this is acceptable. Three months from now, your trip to another city 1000 miles away makes it less likely you really know what's going on there and should have editing rights.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
filmless1 wrote:I learned the whole editor basically by playing and not saving so I could see what each thing did. Now I want to fix roads I travel a lot. I use the app basically to go to my calls for service. I want to make sure I get to the right place...the fastest way I can.
A laudable goal, I agree. Though "knowing the editor" isn't the same as "editing correctly." Like knowing how to push keys on a piano isn't the same thing as playing chopsticks, much less a concerto by Mozart or Tchaikovsky. Understanding how the editor works is level .5. Knowing how to properly restrict turns at a diamond interchange, or how a SPUI should be constructed, or when to and not to split a roadway, or how parking lots are to be created (and not created) in Waze are a key part of understanding required for considering oneself an experienced editor.

The ranking system continues to evolve. There may not be a finish line.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
filmless1 wrote:I guess I'll just keep my level 1 and do what I can. :) Wish I could help my fellow Wazers more. I've fixed all the issues in my area in the last week single handedly and I look every day for Wazer Updates needed. :)
You don't need to stay at level 1. The first sentence of my reply is key.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
filmless1 wrote:Yeah I've applied for Area Manger and that will take me to level 3. That would be a nice improvement. I think most everything in my area though is a Level 1 or a Level 5 edit.
Then you're on your way! :) If stuff is locked which needs unlocking, PM the last editor first. If you don't get a response, there is an Unlock Requests forum.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
filmless1, are you in Missouri? Have you seen your state page? rottielover (sp?) has recently set it up with info for your state. I'm trying to remember how to get to it, go to Wiki>resources>USA>pick your state. I think, I have mine bookmarked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
I'm on my phone, when I get a chance on a PC, I'll send the link.

I think that was the first page done, they have redone it. If you find a post by rottielover, he has a link in his signature on posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Also the reason for the split is that many edits listed as being by level 5's were likely performed when those level 5's were level 3 or lower. Edit ranks increase with the editor. So the way it usually goes is many start editing at level one, they play around with it a bit, maybe fix a few local roads where they see problems and then edit less and less. Others decide editing is fun or their town/area really needs some work and request AM status. They clean up their area and see the improvements. At which point they become satisfied that their town is working and stop or just monitor their area, or they really enjoy it and keep on editing, adding more territory as needed to ensure they have edits to make. Then they hit the magic 200k edit mark and get bumped to level 5 allowing greater reach and eliminating the need to constantly add more AM territory.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by filmless1
IMO I think there should be a level .5! I think at level 1 some have the ability to change some pretty major streets.

I learned the whole editor basically by playing and not saving so I could see what each thing did. Now I want to fix roads I travel a lot. I use the app basically to go to my calls for service. I want to make sure I get to the right place...the fastest way I can.
filmless1
Send a message

Post by filmless1
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Enter 'ranks' or 'manager' into the Quick Help box on the Support page to start.

History of editors (generalized) shows that most users don't learn quickly or pay attention to the guidelines in the wiki. Also, at least some level of participation in the forums in nearly required to keep up with new features, changes, updates to code which affects how roads and junctions are used, etc. Both of you have never posted here before and so, by default, there will be a certain amount of "skepticism" about your experience with the editor and ability to edit according to the guidelines. (We've also been "burned" by a number of users bent on nothing but acquiring more of these awesomely useful points.)

Waze only uses your last 3-months of drives to determine your driven editable area. Most of the community has agreed this is acceptable. Three months from now, your trip to another city 1000 miles away makes it less likely you really know what's going on there and should have editing rights.

I can totally agree. It's hard to find someone that is certainly qualified, trust-worthy, and able to really fix problems.

Yup, my time here, my posts and my mileage show I'm a newbie. I've lived in this city for 20 years and I travel all the roads in the county VERY frequently due to my profession. I guess I'll just keep my level 1 and do what I can. :) Wish I could help my fellow Wazers more. I've fixed all the issues in my area in the last week single handedly and I look every day for Wazer Updates needed. :)
filmless1
Send a message