If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Speedtrap/hazard popup obstructs view

Post by dakill
Hi everybody,

when you approach a speedtrap/hazard, there is a popup that shows the distance to it. Very useful, specially on that speedtraps hidden behind the trees ;) ... And it would be perfect if they didn't obstruct the view of the road ahead. Look at the screenshot:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/tiqda.jpg

It can be very annoying when it happens just before a corner, when in doubt between taking just the next turn or the one that is 20 meters after...

As you can see my screen is pretty small (3 inches, 240x320 pixels). Majority of smartphones here in Brazil are this way because the good ones are very very expensive (Galaxy S3 is over 500 dollars with 2-year contract, a thousand dollars :shock: without).

A solution that would be very easy to implement is an option to not show these type of popups, because we already have the voice alerts. Another would be to make it smaller and transparent, so it wouldn't block the view of the road ahead.

Thanks in advance!
dakill

POSTER_ID:6794259

Send a message
Waze King
INTL server
Android 2.2.1
Samsung GT-S5570B (Galaxy Mini), RAM: 279 MB, Internal Memory: 180 MB, Screen size 240 x 320 pixels, 600 Mhz ARMv6.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
That is a really small screen. Not sure there's a lot Waze can do about such small size. You can turn popups off completely following the instructions in the FAQ.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dakill
jmp316 wrote:Go to Settings > Display Settings > Show on map. You can turn off police reports there.
This does not work; it only removes the icons from the map. The popup alerts continue to appear when approaching the hazards.
dakill
Send a message
Waze King
INTL server
Android 2.2.1
Samsung GT-S5570B (Galaxy Mini), RAM: 279 MB, Internal Memory: 180 MB, Screen size 240 x 320 pixels, 600 Mhz ARMv6.

Post by dakill
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:That is a really small screen. Not sure there's a lot Waze can do about such small size. You can turn popups off completely following the instructions in the FAQ.
Thanks for the atenttion.. The FAQ seems to only cover the popups that appear when not moving ("How do I turn off the pop-up reports when not moving?"); my issue is about the little popups that appear while moving. You're right, it is really hard to come up with a solution on such a small screen... i think an option to disable them would be perfect and easy to implement.
dakill
Send a message
Waze King
INTL server
Android 2.2.1

Post by dakill
daknife wrote:Well if you turn your device to a landscape orientation the warnings get put to the side. Other pop-ups cover the entire map but police/hazard ones do not.

But I realize many don't like the landscape view as they want to be able to see more of the ahead route rather than the terrain to the sides of the route.

I like the work-around... seeing a little of the road ahead is better than seeing nothing ;) I will try it and return with the results later.
dakill
Send a message
Waze King
INTL server
Android 2.2.1

Post by Daknife
Well if you turn your device to a landscape orientation the warnings get put to the side. Other pop-ups cover the entire map but police/hazard ones do not.

But I realize many don't like the landscape view as they want to be able to see more of the ahead route rather than the terrain to the sides of the route.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by jmp316
Go to Settings > Display Settings > Show on map. You can turn off police reports there.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
Gotcha. Sorry about that.
jmp316
Send a message