Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Altitude Display?

Post by markg42
I wish there was a configuration option in Waze on the iPhone to display altitude, similar to the speed display. I use an external GPS (Dual XGPS150A) and accurate altitude is available, but I have to switch to another app to see it. (I live in SoCal and regularly drive on roads from sea level to over 7k.)
markg42

POSTER_ID:11371183

Send a message

Post by ckb142
Having the altitude recorded would be very useful as it would help in setting the level as roads don't show it. However that really does depend upon the accuracy of the GPS unless they create a datum system (Leave GPS on for 5 minutes at a location)
I once tried to place a road on a very zig, zag pattern with one stretch going over the lower section. Eventually I gave up and just drove the route and created a new road which the system couldn't reject.
ckb142
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Not a bad idea, but not one of great priority, as elevation really has little relevance to a commute. Maybe when we get flying cars and the express routes are located 1000 feet higher than the local traffic/cargo routes.

Love the Dual150, use it myself.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
raychi74 wrote:I'd also love to see an option to display elevation. This is especially useful to look at on road trips into the mountains, where you are driving in unfamiliar territory and actually need a GPS. ;)

Taking this a bit further, perhaps Waze can provide configurable data fields on the map display. We can customize it to show whatever information we want (ie, elevation, date/time, speed, heading, etc..) As smartphone gets larger, these information on the edge of the display should not obstruct any view and would definitely make the app/display more interesting to look at.
Of course when driving into the mountains Waze usually loses nearly all usefulness as very few mountain areas have cell coverage needed for waze to operate correctly, yes it can be used by pre-laoding the maps but not as well, it is a commuter app that is it's primary purpose and goal in life. I use waze almost exclusively for navigation, the one exception is anytime I am heading into the mountains, I pull out my Tom Tom as well as it works far better never needing cell signals to work.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by raychi74
I'd also love to see an option to display elevation. This is especially useful to look at on road trips into the mountains, where you are driving in unfamiliar territory and actually need a GPS. ;)

Taking this a bit further, perhaps Waze can provide configurable data fields on the map display. We can customize it to show whatever information we want (ie, elevation, date/time, speed, heading, etc..) As smartphone gets larger, these information on the edge of the display should not obstruct any view and would definitely make the app/display more interesting to look at.
raychi74
Send a message