Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Google gone???

Post by cameraguy
I don't know if I need to re-install my Waze or did they got rid of Google on Waze?

On my recent trip, I try to enter an intersection. I know Waze, you can't enter an intersection as a destination but you can on Google on Waze. Than I realized Google is gone! :o

Also when i try to look for a close gas station, it try to send me to a gas station few miles away when there's one less than a mile away. I think it's because Google is gone on Waze and relying on database on Waze.

So if Google is really is gone from Waze, I am going to guess it's because Bing is paying Waze to get rid of Google. If that's true, that's sad because I think Google can help Waze alot. I always hoping Google will end up buying out Waze to make it the best.

If they going to do that, they should at least improve their database and let us enter intersection as a destination.
cameraguy

POSTER_ID:7911543

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The official word is "[Google] deprecated their API. It was returning a lot of error results so we had to remove it."

My interpretation: "Google notified everyone that their API was changing, just like foursquare did a year or so ago, but we didn't pay much attention and didn't get our code updated to deal with the new API requirements, so it broke, so we had to remove it."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
beej666 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The official word is "[Google] deprecated their API. It was returning a lot of error results so we had to remove it."
Source? Thanks!
Twitter.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DonRadlauer wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Waze about whether (and when) this might get fixed? The thought of depending on Bing frightens me...
No

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Google missing for me too...

Can still find intersections using the format "Street 1 at Street 2 City, State" and the results come up in the Waze tab.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by beej666
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The official word is "[Google] deprecated their API. It was returning a lot of error results so we had to remove it."
Source? Thanks!
beej666
Send a message

Post by beej666
here's the tweet:

boo! :( i want google search back!
beej666
Send a message

Post by beej666
DonRadlauer wrote:Looks like it's back, at least here in Israel.
fantastic news! thanks for letting us know :) it makes sense that they'd test it in Israel first before rolling it out to a wider audience. i don't see it, yet, here in the USA, but this is heartening! :D
beej666
Send a message

Post by beej666
I assumed everyone noticed that Google search started working again in the US not too long ago? Amen!
beej666
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Grumble +1

Google gone, contacts search broken on iOS 5, and pop-up ads when stopped that obscure the road. Definitely making me think about which app I want to use.
BlazeTool
Send a message