Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Feature request: no traffic

Post by CyberMacs
Hi!

First of all, I hope I write the feature request in a good topic. If not, sorry...

So the feature I would like to see is the "no traffic"

Normally we can see the red-orange lines where is the traffic, thanks for the drivers. So I can see where is traffic where users are going.
But what about the other places? Where is no traffic? Is there no traffic, because the road is really empty? Or because no Waze user are there? Maybe there is hundreds of cars and terrible big traffic. But the map shows it white.

My idea is the following:
Like the red road show traffic, there can be green roads. Green roads show that a Waze user was on that way and found no traffic. And the white road will show: no info.

There can be a button to tun on/off the green roads to do not disturb.

What do you think? And what Waze developers think?

Thankyou
CyberMacs

POSTER_ID:5441140

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Depends what you mean by no traffic. I would like to see roads that are flowing faster than their historic normal be shown as you suggest. However, this would not necessarily mean that there was no traffic, it would only mean that there is less traffic than normal.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
CyberMacs wrote:Like now, when the speed is 8 km/h the line is dark red. When the speed is 20 it is red. When 30 then orange, when 40 yellow, when 50 then green, etc... (the numbers are example, I am not sure the exact speed colours).

Of course the speed colours should depends on the road type too. 60 km/h is very fast for a small village rood, but very slow for a highway.

Thank you!
I have seen it explained that the red/orange/yellow color is based on wazers going some fraction of the average speed on the road that is normal during the time period. I'm not sure that the colors are that straightforward. But is not unusual on my commute for me to be going 40 km/h in an area that goes 90 km/h in the absence of traffic with no indication of traffic from waze. The explanation given has been that it is because that road usually has traffic going 40 km/h at that time of day so waze treats the 40 km/h speed as "normal." Given this waze sees a highway that is always backed up with traffic and thus has a normal speed of 40 km/h in the same way as the small village road for which 40 km/h is normal. So what I would like to see is that if waze finds the highway traffic moving at 90 km/h it would mark the road green as going faster than normal. But if the traffic was going 40 km/h on either the highway or village road there would be no indication as the traffic would be normal.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CyberMacs
No traffic means that Waze users are going on the way with no problem.
Yes actually what is no traffic... Better when I say that the colours depends on the speed of Waze users.
Like now, when the speed is 8 km/h the line is dark red. When the speed is 20 it is red. When 30 then orange, when 40 yellow, when 50 then green, etc... (the numbers are example, I am not sure the exact speed colours).

Of course the speed colours should depends on the road type too. 60 km/h is very fast for a small village rood, but very slow for a highway.

Thank you!
CyberMacs
Send a message

Post by Jonnyhuk2
+1 for some indication to confirm the road ahead is indeed flowing ok.

Where I am based, there are some Wazers but not a lot, unless it's peak rush hour you can easily not see any wazers on the map within 20 miles of you. Hence a road can be shown as having no problems simply because no wazer has been there recently.

The old app "Trapster" used to draw a blue line on the roads if another user had used that road within the last hour, that was a great feature as you knew it was clear. But again, so few users, you rarely saw any blue lines / other users!

I would say with the colours, avoid using shades of red/green, there are plenty of red/green colour blind people out there and it could be hard to tell the difference when the road is clear or busy when you're trying to glance at a small screen while driving.
Jonnyhuk2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Ex-Area Manager - southern Hampshire / W.Sussex, UK