Automatic registration of bumpy roads and potholes

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Automatic registration of bumpy roads and potholes

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

palmerit wrote:If someone running waze (for an accelerometer to notice it) has an accident then yes, waze will already detect the traffic flow is running slower than the average, and create a jam.

I'm not talking about a jam. I'm talking about automatic reporting of the accident to someone that can help!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Automatic registration of bumpy roads and potholes

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 pm

You see no merit at all in the auto reporting of an accident on a quiet rural where no one else might come across it?
Waze most definitely does not already handle that!

dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:50 am

grinvaldsjanis wrote:Screaming? So You don't want to be warned about cobbled surface? Even in foreign city/town?

No, my eyes do a perfectly good job of that.
Application could warn only about highest level problems on road. You see, in turn we would release users from imputing Alerts about situations which phone can notice it self.

potholes that just wobble the car should not be reported. Those that are wheel-breakers you're likely to avoid and report manually so anything automatic wouldn't help.

Also there would be possible to figure out algorithm of registering severe accidents for example if phone feels very hard deceleration, but user is not responding to phones questions after following stopping of car. We could warn local community that PROBABLY accident took place.

There is some merit in this one perhaps, more so on remote roads

dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 am

The map in my city would just end up covered in pot-hole reports. And on the cobbled streets the app would be screaming at me!

This has been suggested before but I don't see it as workable, even the best phone accelerometers would struggle let alone the weaker ones. I also don't really see the need. As suggested above, speeds along these roads *should* already account for the road condition.

dmcconachie

Previous

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests