If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Suggestion: Two Way as Default for Streets

Post by Buckwylds
Hi,

I have been busy working on map problems sent in by users (update requests), but always run into entire neighborhoods struck by the case of "One Way" directions. These streets however are mostly Two Way and somehow (probably through the client) have been marked One Way. Mind you this is also a problem with "No Entrance."

I would like to suggest the default direction be set to Two Way for "Streets" entered into the system by username "admin" and have not been updated by a user yet. If a user has effectively edited the street, there would be no need for an update.

Buck
Buckwylds

POSTER_ID:7907

Send a message

Post by Buckwylds
That is exactly what I am referring to. The ADMIN that placed the basemap should default to two directions leaving it up to the client to determine if the road is "one way." However, if a user edits the road through Cartouche, user updates should take precedent over client data updates. A real example:
I drive northbound on a two way road, but never southbound. My client sends data updating the road to a one way northbound street. This road has a one way exit, but houses extended to that exit. However, there is another exit on the property leading to another Primary street. These houses at the end will always be routed out to the wrong street unless "locked" (which it is now to a two way). Driving directions are no longer efficient because the routing server now needs to route me around the new one way street created by the client.
I understand the road can be locked by the Cartouche user, but many roads are closed to no entrance or one way and routing will never take anyone to the correct location via fastest routes.

Another Example:
Something occurred on the I-15 Northbound (one way)in Las Vegas switching road direction to Southbound (one way). I am instantly routed up Dean Martin Ave instead of on to the freeway due to either 1) someone decided it would be fun to switch directions or 2) a client updating northbound to southbound. If a client was responsible for this update, the updaters precedent would have prevented the client change.
Hope that explains what I was thinking. It may not be a good idea.
Buckwylds
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Entered by admin is the base map. And you are correct that the one ways you are seeing are the auto adjustment routines changing no entrance roads to one way as seen by wazer driving routes. And if a road is driven on in both directions then it will be changed to two way.

No entrance is by design so that routing knows that this road has not been validated in either connectivity or direction. Routing will use no entrance roads if no known directional roads work.

Routing will get better as the roads are driven.

My advice as an area manager, is to manually adjust what you are willing to do. Make sure the major roads (primary, minor highways, freeways, etc.) are all working. And let the end user known how the map update model works for waze. IE: the more you drive the roads the better waze gets.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png