If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Load all maps to aid in areas with no cell connection?

Post by bigal1542
I am new to the forums and just got the app a week ago but am having a great time using it. I live out in the country and a lot of the roads we take don't have cell phone service in the area. I always lost the map, navigation, and even updates that are helping out the app progress when I lost connection.

Would it be possible to give an option to pre-load all the maps for the entire country (through Wi-Fi most likely)? So, all in all, it would be a larger version of the same app that has all of the maps on the phone and would not require connection to access. I know it would take roughly 4 GB of space, but it would be more than worth it for the people with a phone that has that much room. You could have it built in to record everything you have done while connection was not present. The user could then click send or even have it automatically send all the data that was stored during the time with no connection. If everything could be saved with timestamps then it would upload but just be lagged. This would also help the spread of the app being that it is a no-connection required navigation system. In the no-connection mode a lot of things wouldn't work, such as wazer pings and notifications but the ability to use it then would be better than not being able to use it.

What does everyone think?
bigal1542

POSTER_ID:342825

Send a message

Post by fvwazing
I have a whopping 6 GB free on my iPhone - yet after a week, Waze starts forgetting the first tiles. I can not see how much space it has claimed, but it cant be much more than a few hundred MB. If there is 6 GB free, then why start clearing the cache? I can understand that the data has to refreshed every now and then, but do not throw darta out before the new data has arrived, please.

Suggestion: maybe the user can select between a lean and a more aggressive caching-algorithm? In the first case, a miniumum is kept on board; in the second case a maximum is kept on board. Offcourse, when memory starts getting low the more aggressive mode could switch down to more lean.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1