Make cardinality an optional field

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Make cardinality an optional field

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:18 pm

timbucks wrote:Will shield numbers be just numeric as the US differentiate road types by the shape and colour of shield and they don't have need for alphanumeric characters

No. Shields are already alphanumeric. Typically a number followed by a letter with no space, like "99W".
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 pm

For reference, here in Portugal we not only have alphanumeric, but also the dash/minus sign. The regexp is basically (A|IC|IP|E|N|M)([0-9]+)(-[0-9]+)?, like A1, E80, N10, N249, M1234 and N249-3.

We also aligned with the cardinality format by using it at the end and always between parenthesis, so like "A1 (N)". The TTS is configured to say ",North,", with the commas for the extra pause after the highway name.

This rule - the cardinality inside parenthesis, or better, the rule to never have an abbreviation without some symbol nearby, like always "Av." and never ever "Av" - was decided when we discovered that the US languages (Tom and Samantha) are expanding (at least) the capital N is an unsafe way, like "N10" expands to North 10. But that's ok because those are probably the US rules and it's ok if they are not meaningful in other countries. It's just funny to hear them read our road numbers >:)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby dknight212 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 pm

timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Ubuntu (latest)
UK Country AdminArea Manager for London
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area Manager
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:54 pm

timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered...

It would also be good because the name of a road and the direction of travel are separate properties. The only reason we put N/S & E/W in the Name field is that we have no other place to put it. But just like including the county/borough in the city name, it's a workaround; the proper solution is to make it a separate field.
dknight212 wrote:Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.

Distinguishing shield information from street/alt name is a step in that direction. Even if it means a proliferation of yet-unused fields in the road database, I hope that when they update it for one feature, they are anticipating the needs of other features like this.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Some highways can contain letters apart from their cardinality; e.g., Route 1A. I always keep a space between the highway designator and its cardinality, so in this case shields along one-way sections would be labeled "1A N" and "1A S".
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Make cardinality an optional field

Postby timbucks » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:06 am

Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

timbucks
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby timbucks » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm

dknight212 wrote:
timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.

Will shield numbers be just numeric as the US differentiate road types by the shape and colour of shield and they don't have need for alphanumeric characters

timbucks
Beta tester
Beta tester

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests