Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Map Editing

Post by leocylau
Since many people found the speed of map editing on the website is quite slow. It's possibly affected by the speed of internet connection, slow server or other reason. I'd like to see there is a map editor installed on PC. Once the editing is finished, just to upload the map to the server. It would not be affected by the speed of internet connect.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:524814

Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by jaimevisser
Mostly server related, but i think that a full fledged editor in software might be a bit daunting task with all the stuff the waze staff have on their plate atm.
jaimevisser
Send a message
Area manager Oss, Heesch (Netherlands)
Samsung Galaxy S2 | Toyota Auris 1.8 HSD (white)

Post by jaimevisser
I think that will not work out-of-the-box. GIS software is for people interested in all sorts of geographical data. A friend of mine works with GIS tools for the dutch water management, and it's much more then just roads. Also, waze data is probably in another format, need a converter. Final piece de la resistance: waze does not have a (public) interface to it's database.
jaimevisser
Send a message

Post by jaimevisser
As i mentioned in my previous post, there probably isn't an url to the database. It's hidden behind an app that is the waze (routing/traffic/mapping) server. Also my (educated) guess is that the database isn't in a GIS friendly format. Ask waze support if you wanna know for sure.
jaimevisser
Send a message

Post by jaimevisser
Software dude: business layer gave you away! I'm an IT guy myself and i just highly doubt waze will give access to their data. Other issue, how to sign in as a waze user in the software?
jaimevisser
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
I tried it, but I really have no idea how to get it to work..
I think I have to enter an server adres, but what is it?
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by petervdveen
But just an url of the database should be enough I think...
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by robin1979
leo_lau wrote:Since many people found the speed of map editing on the website is quite slow. It's possibly affected by the speed of internet connection, slow server or other reason. I'd like to see there is a map editor installed on PC.
It should be pretty easy to connect to the Waze database using uDig.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
While it's probably perfectly possible to connect to the database, you probably don't want that. You'll need to go through the business layer, which is where all the logic lives, to make sure you don't mess up while making edits.

I probably expressed myself a little wrong. Let me rephrase it:
It probably should be relatively easy to make an uDig plugin which can be used for editing Waze maps. If somebody wants it to give it a shot, I'll join in.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe