If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Auto cache

Post by skumar69
Hi,
I understand that Waze caches the map tiles once viewed. As such, before I start my journey, if i browse over my route and zoom in, then, as some suggest, waze will not need to download the tiles while i am on the road, and using my expensive GPRS connection.

My point is, if I set my route at home(which has wifi), there should be an option to auto-cache so that waze can itself walk on the route so that the tiles get caches. Then, I can happy chug along my route saving a lot on time and costs.
skumar69

POSTER_ID:1095976

Send a message
[img]https:///icPqLq[/img]

Post by BrutusNL
This is exactly how it already works. Tiles are recalculated/cached when they have not been updated (on your client) in the last week or so, when you route through them or when you manually refresh them. But (re)routing and point collecting, at least on the iPhone, are online functions, I wouldn't use it offline and consider flatfee internet on your phone. Though the telco's are limiting it more and more, you can still get unlimited data in The Netherlands for as little as € 10 or less. Are you not that lucky?
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by BrutusNL
Yes, that's true. Tiles are 'zoom-level-specific'. But I tested this just last week and disabled mobile data. On one zoomlevel I watched (by swiping the clientmap along the purpleline) the entire route at home with wifi enabled and let Waze download/cache all tiles on that zoomlevel. Than, while driving the route with dataconnection disabled, Waze showed all tiles on the 100km route, as if data was available. You are right that when I zoomed in or out, it showed blank tiles. So I guess indeed I was not specific enough in my answer, thanks for pointing that out.
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
@Brutus: It is my impression that, the way you describe it, is NOT the way it works. Tiles are pre-loaded - but not all of them in the highest resolution. The highest resolution-tiles (the ones where you can recognize streetnames) seem to be downloaded only on the fly. You can try this by using a slow internet-connection: first, clean your cache, then generate a long enough route. Next, zoom deeply into that route, somewhere in the middle; as you progress over the blue line you may notice the delays where Waze loads the missing tiles, you may also see the progress of the data-counter. If you would have driven off at once after generating the route, you would get stranded in the "desert" at some point - unless you zoom out far enough to see the roads in lesser resolution.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1