If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Things I would Like to See (as a commuter)

Post by Dainn
1. I need to see more than 0.5 miles. Perhaps I'm too dumb to figure it out, but I can't seem to zoom out and make that view center on my location. When I hit the center button, I'm back to 0.5 miles, which is worthless to me as I can usually see farther than that myself. I suggest a new method of zooming in/out that doesn't leave the centered-on-location view. We need to be able to see 20-30 miles ahead if we are going to have to make intelligent decisions about traffic.

We need easy zoom out in both 2d and 3d modes.

2. Buttons are still too small, as it the text. My Omnia screen is abaout 75% the area of an iPhone, and I can't read most of the messages. This should be configurable.

3. Once the route is choosen we should be able to get a view of the entire route. Perhaps a fly-by, stopping to show events on the way (cops, accidents, traffic). I personally have an 80+ mi commute to work, and being able to see traffic way down the road is mandatory. Currently I am forced to use Google Maps for this.

4. Idea: trusted Waze commuters should be able to drive alternate routes and save them as such. Waze should then track people trying those routes to see if they are really faster. For example, on one freeway I take has at least 2 non-mountain road alternates that one can drive if the freeway is backed up. Each is about 5-10 min longer without traffic. If I could easily mark a route as an "alternate" then Waze could perhaps route others that way when there is traffic on the main route.

5. Waze doesn't take Carpool lanes into account. This is important for some commuters (sadly, not me).

6. While I understand the advantages of user-submitted data, it seems Waze is over-reliant on it. In LA we a have very heavily monitored monitored freeway system, and if Waze is going to be useful it should take advantage of that. Must I go to Google Maps to see this data? I'd rather stay in Waze.
Dainn

POSTER_ID:34076

Send a message

Post by Dainn
The Fej wrote:@shane_walker - we need interfaces to such traffic source and I am not sure they have. From tests we've made with Google, seems most information is historical and not connected to such sources, but we'd be more than happy to connect if possible.
@dainn By the way, I'd be happy to get your view on the traffic. LA seems quite covered traffic wize when I tested it, but since you are there you are better located to judge it.
Traffic is either dead on or wildly out of date. Here are two examples for the same freeway.

Both are from my old nemesis, the 405 between San Fernando and Westwood. To be honest, if you just mark this stretch as always having traffic, you wouldn't be wrong much. :)

Once, heading south toward near the 101 I hit traffic exactly where Waze said. When traffic released, it again was exactly where Waze said. This was last week, not sure which day (sorry).

Yesterday, on my commute home, NB on the 405 in heavy traffic north of the 101 (same area as above btw). Waze showed no traffic at all, and I reported traffic myself, but it was very heavy for about 2 miles, 0-3 mph. I went over to Google Maps and was able to see the traffic and how far it went, but Waze was no help. Yesterday is notable as well as I saw more waze users on my map than ever before, and at least 2 within a mile of me for a while.

Now, there are many times when Waze is showing traffic and there is none. I regularly speed through zones marked with traffic and there is none there. This happens with Google too, but much more rarely.
Dainn
Send a message

Post by dallasite
Dainn wrote:6. While I understand the advantages of user-submitted data, it seems Waze is over-reliant on it. In LA we a have very heavily monitored monitored freeway system, and if Waze is going to be useful it should take advantage of that. Must I go to Google Maps to see this data? I'd rather stay in Waze.
I second this, here in DFW we have DalTrans monitoring traffic information as well as the NTTA monitoring all toll roads. It seems since there are few Wazers in Dallas driving the same routes as me at the same times as me I get limited traffic info.
dallasite
Send a message
T-Mobile Touch Pro2 • WinMo 6.1 • Waze 1.4.2.3 (WVGA)
North Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX Area Manager

Post by dallasite
Fej, best bet might be to try and get in touch with them to see if they have an API available. http://dfwtraffic.dot.state.tx.us/ContactUs.htm
dallasite
Send a message
T-Mobile Touch Pro2 • WinMo 6.1 • Waze 1.4.2.3 (WVGA)
North Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX Area Manager

Post by sketch
Dainn wrote:1. I need to see more than 0.5 miles. Perhaps I'm too dumb to figure it out, but I can't seem to zoom out and make that view center on my location. When I hit the center button, I'm back to 0.5 miles, which is worthless to me as I can usually see farther than that myself. I suggest a new method of zooming in/out that doesn't leave the centered-on-location view. We need to be able to see 20-30 miles ahead if we are going to have to make intelligent decisions about traffic.
In my experience with 1.3.0 and 1.3.5 on iPhone, this is no longer the case. It seems that the "center" button now moves to center on me without zooming in, and the default zoom is much further out.
Dainn wrote:4. Idea: trusted Waze commuters should be able to drive alternate routes and save them as such. Waze should then track people trying those routes to see if they are really faster. For example, on one freeway I take has at least 2 non-mountain road alternates that one can drive if the freeway is backed up. Each is about 5-10 min longer without traffic. If I could easily mark a route as an "alternate" then Waze could perhaps route others that way when there is traffic on the main route.
This actually sounds remarkably similar to something Yael mentioned quite recently (maybe three or so days ago) somewhere on the forum: the capability for multiple routes to and from places you frequent.
Dainn wrote:5. Waze doesn't take Carpool lanes into account. This is important for some commuters (sadly, not me).
This is on the wishlist, I believe.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by The Fej
@shane_walker - we need interfaces to such traffic source and I am not sure they have. From tests we've made with Google, seems most information is historical and not connected to such sources, but we'd be more than happy to connect if possible.
@dainn By the way, I'd be happy to get your view on the traffic. LA seems quite covered traffic wize when I tested it, but since you are there you are better located to judge it.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management
Send a message