If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Suggestion: Speed and Congestion

Post by jrnokes
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, would it be possible for you to add the posted speed limit of a road into your database? I thought it would be a safer way of determining if there was congestion or a traffic jam on that segment of roadway. Obviously whenever we are sitting right in the middle of the road and not moving, we are stuck in a traffic jam. I thought of this because it is so risky to be looking at the display to report a slowdown, you never know when the person in front of you will slam on the brakes. This would reduce the chances of an accident.

Thanks
Jerry
jrnokes

POSTER_ID:180008

Send a message

Post by jrnokes
Awesome!

Nope, that is all I needed was to not have to push buttons while semi-driving and stopping. You know, as soon as you look over at the phone the guy in front of you stomps on the brakes and *bam* you are in an accident.

Hmmmm, what about mileage ability (as in gas mileage) and or a "black Box" ability. Gas mileage might be an interesting thing to track, especially if everyone driving on a specific road drops gas mileage, it might be time to look at the road.

Of course those kind of statistics might be good in other areas. An intersection has a high number of accidents...etc. Just brainstorming

Thanks!
Jerry
jrnokes
Send a message

Post by stiab3
I can see uses for both. . .

The motorway speed limit in the UK is 70mph but I can almost guarantee that (if you take heavy goods vehicles out of the equation) the average speed is higher. So in this case average speed is higher than speed limit. This road would probably never show traffic (in my area) even if one lane was out and slowing cars down.

On the other hand, I use several roads with a 60mph speed limit where, due to the nature of the road (winding, steep climbs etc.), the average speed is a lot lower than the speed limit. If it went by speed limit alone, this road would almost always show traffic.

s3
stiab3
Send a message
. . . still a long waze to go.
Area Manager - South Lakeland

Post by unwallflower
jrnokes wrote:Hey Guys,

I was wondering, would it be possible for you to add the posted speed limit of a road into your database? I thought it would be a safer way of determining if there was congestion or a traffic jam on that segment of roadway. Obviously whenever we are sitting right in the middle of the road and not moving, we are stuck in a traffic jam. I thought of this because it is so risky to be looking at the display to report a slowdown, you never know when the person in front of you will slam on the brakes. This would reduce the chances of an accident.

Thanks
Jerry
Waze already determines traffic jams on its own. Ever notice the orange or red highlighted sections of road? If you haven't, check out the live map, they're displayed there too. Those are automatic traffic reports. These are generated when you're stuck in traffic, travelling below the average speed of that segment (yes, Waze already stores average speeds).

It sounds like that's what you're suggesting, even though it's using average speed and not speed limit. I don't necessarily agree with adding a speed limit field to road segments, but if you're still interested in that you can vote for it on uservoice here. It is ranked pretty high, so I seem to be outnumbered.
unwallflower
Send a message