If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

[Suggestion]Autopaving new roads?

Post by DangerDaneDK
Hej Waze and fellow Wazers,

I was wondering if it would be possible to actually set a setting that would allow you, as a user to "auto pave" new roads. I live in Denmark where the road network is still not fully covered by Waze and I am a professional chauffeur. I would prefer a permanent setting, ie a setting where waze determines from its map that there is no road and then paves it, rather then me having to go into the settings and manually engaging this mode.

Manually engaging the paving mode is sadly not possible as my job requires me to drive around with a passenger in the car, and for the sake of road safety I find it rather thoughtless and not only hazardous if I had to "constantly" manually pave roads whenever I come to a new one.

So please implement a feature that enables waze to determine whether there is a road where you are, and if not then "auto pave it" without input from the user. It could be a toggle setting for all I care :P. Just allow people like me the chance to actually contribute rather then just being a passive ride along :/.
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:1528101

Send a message
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Region of Southern Denmark / Region Syddanmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM-G965F, Android 8.0 Waze: Newest

https://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3s.png

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You can leave it on and it will record new roads when it thinks you are off a road. The problem with this, and with what you suggest, is that if the Client believes you are off road when in fact you are not, due to GPS error or a map error where the road isn't placed correctly, it will start paving a new road right alongside or nearby the current/real one. That means someone (you) have to go in to Cartouche and delete all the red roads which appear snaking alongside the real road already there.

If you are willing to do this and keep the map clean and tidy, the run with the client in record mode all the time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
freddiechopin wrote:This would be problematic, as due to GPS inaccuracy you'd create a lot of segments parallel existing ones...

But... if you are an Area Manager of the area you're driving in, you can just enable the paving mode once a day and keep it enabled. This only works if you're not on an existing road, so it would do what you need to do. But you have to promise to clean up the mess (parallel segments, "junction shortcuts" etc.) everyday - that's why you need to be AM.

4\/3!!
Sounds eerily similar or exactly like what I wrote. :roll: But we were writing at the same time, so I guess great minds think alike. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Please read the area manager wiki page for details on how to do this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rlpl wrote:You don't need to be an AM because you always have the full permission for your own roads including the right to delete. But it's good to be an AM in your area (or in your multiple areas) because you will be able to correct wrong roads created by other wazers. Anyway, please don't leave your roads unedited.
True, but other benefits like adding/editing landmarks and other quirks known to happen to areas you have driven near but are not an AM of, outweigh the reasons to not be an AM, IMO. (Pending and Update Requests being other benefits not available when just having driven there.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by DangerDaneDK
How do I become an Area Manager then :P?. Because I see a lot of "dud" road segments placed where they shouldnt be, roads segments that doesnt line up etc and I actually want to help fix that.
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Region of Southern Denmark / Region Syddanmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM-G965F, Android 8.0 Waze: Newest

https://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3s.png

Post by freddiechopin
This would be problematic, as due to GPS inaccuracy you'd create a lot of segments parallel existing ones...

But... if you are an Area Manager of the area you're driving in, you can just enable the paving mode once a day and keep it enabled. This only works if you're not on an existing road, so it would do what you need to do. But you have to promise to clean up the mess (parallel segments, "junction shortcuts" etc.) everyday - that's why you need to be AM.

4\/3!!
freddiechopin
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Also, if you are paving roads, you should be going into cartouche and naming them. If you are going into cartouche, you could use your archive list (I know it might take a while to show up) to create the road segments that aren't there yet.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by rlpl
You don't need to be an AM because you always have the full permission for your own roads including the right to delete. But it's good to be an AM in your area (or in your multiple areas) because you will be able to correct wrong roads created by other wazers. Anyway, please don't leave your roads unedited.
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.