If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

"True Waze Features" - Lets get going

Post by
Adding top posts into the main one so new readers get a summary of opinions and possible sollutions.

Waze has gotten a long way, but it is still not that popular in many locations around the world. This is my list of thoughts and suggestions for making this the most used GPS software out there.
  • Protect the community's treasure - The most important feature: Don't allow lower ranking users to content created by old and (most times) more experienced users. If new users want to change something that was created by a higher ranking users they should have to get in touch with him through the forum and, if he refuses to or does not reply, they then should be able to get in touch with the Waze support team and ask them to solve it by allowing the editions or deciding in some other way.
    New users most times don't know to much about the way the software should work and end up messing things up (even if not on purpose). It is also a way to reward users for their rank and not just display it in a useless scoreboard. I don't really give a damn if I am the highest ranking user in my area. Others can get points by destroying my data :!:
    Old users (including me) are loosing motivation to help if all their contributions are destroyed by rookies. This has to stop. :evil:
    syberjj wrote:(maybe)...if a user applies as an AM in an area where another AM is active, this could need some authorization from the original manager. If he authorizes it, the new user can get control of a sub-area of the master AM. If he doesn't reply in X days, the other user gets authorized by the system. This could also somehow lead to AM loosing their powers.
    AlanOfTheBerg wrote:They could (...)do an interactive web-based training where (users) actually can perform actions and be evaluated on their properness (to edit the map)
  • Filter out the trash - Roads added using the "buldozer mode" should not be added to the live map before they are confirmed using Cartouche. I will add more to this in "learning by doing", but the mess of inexisting roads in my city just has to disappear, it makes the software look cheap and buggy. Doesn't make users wan't to use it and looks plain stupid every time I want to shot it off.
  • True Social GPS - Waze is called the "social gps" but where is all the social stuff? Is it really only to be able to receive "chit chat" from perverts all around? (true story) How come I cannot do things like:
    -Share directions with friends - Not destinations but DIRECTIONS. After I set up a route on my phone I want to send it to others in my friends list.
    -Send out locations - Let users select the location of a party and send it out to users in their friends list.
    -Follow mode - Users should be able to select friends and ask to "follow them". If they "accept" waze should show the others car on the map and rout the destination to its location
    I know commercial applications that have some features like this, and Waze is totally missing out and getting old.
    -ADDED:- Create better communication between Area Managers and users. et suers get in touch with AM and let AM get in touch with users. See this post as an example of this kind of problem.
  • Learning by doing - Waze has to learn to do some things by itself. Users report speed cams and they don't get added to the map, but users add roads using the bulldozer and they get added. Isn't it time to remove this? Shouldn't waze be able to do more with the data we provide?
    syberjj wrote:
    dmcconachie wrote:...automatic road correction was switched off for any road which has been manually edited - I think this should be an option in the edit panel - occasionally I (...) want to confirm name, connectivity, directionality then let the server adjust the geometry - this isn't currently possible!
    ...It would also be nice to do some sort of "partial locking". Sometimes I want the road to get corrected by the system, but I don't want it to be changed from a "one way" to a "two way" street.
    -If there is a big enough number of users adding a new road using the client, then it should get created by getting the average of all submissions. If possible the Bulldozer mode should be removed from the application and it should automatically create roads where lots of users pass by.
    -Roads should be moved to more precise locations based on the acerage GPS data that comes from all users (and not only be movable using Cartouche)
    -Speed cams need to be added ASAP. Take the average speed of users passing at that location, subtract 5km/h and create the damn speed cam! If you can, add a feature to send it out as a report and if enough users "thank/confirm" it keep it there. If not, delete it after some time.If something gets created erroneously this way, some AM will fix it or its speed, but at least no one will get speed tickets anymore!!! Users are bragging about Twitter channels and other cheap apps to get speed cam and police reports and don't know about waze!
  • Quick reports widget - Add a desktop widget for road reports. Lots of times I am going to a party in a taxi and I see something I wish to report, but untill the damn application loads I am long past the location.The widget should save the location I am and it should work even without internet access. It should keep that logged and send it out as soon as I get a connection or turn on my 3G signal. This will increase ALLOT the number of road reports available.
    dmcconachie wrote:Quick reports widget:
    There is an Android widget on the way - whilst we don't know the full feature set yet I am hopefull that it will have a quick report function!
Please don't answer me by saying that waze does not have enough manpower to develop these features. We all know Waze has gotten MAJOR investments in the past year and we all know that users will stop using it if we don't upgrade. In the last 6 months waze's interface has gottten better, but no real new features have been added. It's time to get going.

POSTER_ID:920730

Send a message
Last edited by syberjj on Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by adamridley
Definately a +1 here. You should create this as a suggestion on uservoice. Slight correction for you, I'm assuming you mean "learning by doing" not "my"!

The automatic geometry correction as someone said was turned off not that long ago.
However, I do think that it will work very well with a selective algorithm like you suggest limiting it to 50 users in a week before an edit was made should be sufficient. Even more so if it ranks gps points by the reported accuracy of those points.
adamridley
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RallyChris wrote:Make official training for map editing. Features are only unlocked if you have viewed the training. (and make it not just a click through thing)
They could get even fancier and do flash or other interactive web-based training where they actually can perform actions and be evaluated on their properness.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Atlas85
I agree- to a certain extent. There is a certain point where it really doesn't matter that much anymore. I mean: there is a big difference in experience between 1k points and 10k points, but the difference in experience between 10k points and 20k points is smaller. I think there is little difference in 150k points or 300k points where it concerns experience.

And does it matter how points are gathered? One might do 100.000 km a year and end up with 320.000 points after a year, and suddenly start editing. He/she is still very inexperienced with cartouche!

However, if a high-ranking editor has changed something, the basic elements (directionality, entrance) should not be changed by newbies.

Just out of curiosity: how high do you rank anyway?
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by bpitas
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I read quite a few posts in the forum and couldn't find a better place. :-)
I've been using Waze for a long time now, and one of the features I think would really help is if users had the ability to confirm or unconfirm reports, so the data became more trustworthy. Maybe, for example, all reports start off with a certain expiration period, like it does now, BUT people driving through that area can either add or subtract time to the report as they go by. Like let's say Speed Traps start with an hour on them, and if someone drives by, a dialog comes up and says "Speed trap ahead - did you see a speed trap?" If the user clicks "no" or does nothing, you take 15 minutes off of the expiration time, but if they say "yes", you add another 15 minutes. Something like that - would need to tune it. I think something like this would greatly improve the accuracy of things like speed traps and accidents.

I thought of this because there used to be someone in the Boston area (northbound Rt 95) near Highland Ave) who would report a "speed trap" just about every day, even though it was just a roadside sign with a K-band transmitter on it. The first few times I heard it, I was driving myself crazy trying to find the cruiser, thinking maybe they were doing the classic "hide in the radar" near the sign, trying to catch people without warning counters (ala Valentine 1). Then I realized it was just someone who got a radar detector squawk every morning and reported it.

Also, something that would help ME a ton is a "motorcycle mode", where you can lock your phone but keep Waze running in the background instead of timing out. If I'm riding, I can't take out my phone and click the "keep running in the background" button, so Waze only works for me for the first few minutes, and then shuts itself off. Leaving it running in my pocket without locking it is just asking for a butt-dial. :-) I'm sure there are also other enhancements people could think of to make a cool "motorcycle mode" for people who JUST listen to it for directions and reports over bluetooth headsets. I find Waze *awesome* for navigating on my motorcycle because I can listen to music on the road and it very nicely lowers the music volume and gives me nav queues at the appropriate places, but it only works for the first few minutes before it automatically shuts down!
bpitas
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
My tuppence-worth...

Protect the community's treasure:
This is a difficult one - waze actually has a hierarchy built in but it doesn't get used. As a veteran editor I can definitely see the need for it but if it is to be used there has to be much more transparency around area managers, who they are, whether they're still active and how to get in contact. I also think this hierarchy should be based on editing points and not total points (as per Atlas85's point). AM status should be revoked or suspended based on a time of inactivity!
As raised several times by several users recently there should be a sandbox type environment for new editors to practice and subsequently qualify from before they are let loose!

True Social GPS:
I totally agree here, the "social" side is very weak! I also think we should be able to elect to have a more real-time view of other users on a user-by-user basis!

Learning my doing:
This is difficult again, mainly down to the fact that GPS accuracy can vary wildly.

Only very recently the automatic road correction was switched off for any road which has been manually edited - I think this should be an option in the edit panel - occasionally I don't have time to edit miles of a road but want to confirm name, connectivity, directionality then let the server adjust the geometry - this isn't currently possible!

Quick reports widget:
There is an Android widget on the way - whilst we don't know the full feature set yet I am hopefull that it will have a quick report function! This will however require your GPS to be on more and thus eat battery life!

I had a similar (albeit slightly less structured) rant a few months ago, have a browse through the thread if you've time!

Best,
Darren
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
monosodium wrote:Truly social features should also be good realtime features - hooking up with local providers of data like fuel prices would be the most useful thing for the community. I think there's a request in uservoice for it already, but it would be good to see this happen sooner rather than later.
Agree it would be good. Plenty of basic functionality to get right first though!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gettingthere
The other thing regarding the title 'Area Manager'. An Area Manager is an editor that decided they wanted to edit in a specific area and requested it. An Area Manager does not own any portion of the map. Just because a section of the map has an Area Manager doesn't mean that person is really on top of all of the edits that need to be done.

If you can add value to the map and you see something that needs work, work on it.

Yes, it's common courtesy to get to know other editors and Area Managers in places you will be editing frequently. In fact, that can even help with coordinating on local projects, standards, etc.

I have initiated contact with other Area Managers in my home areas. I also have been in touch with some of the more experienced editors and frequent forum posters. But I also do extensive editing in other places without feeling the need to contact other editors in the area. I am concerned with improving the map so that Waze as a solution improves.

There really should be many Area Managers in most places, especially larger cities.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by GizmoGuy411
c0c0c0 wrote:
So I know I stepped on his toes, and pissed him off, but to me having something that a lot of people travel on correct is what is more important.

Anyway, a sandbox to learn the interface, and then a flash based test to pass would have helped me out a lot. I learn most by doing, reading gets me only so far.
Is there any chance that the name of the edit that you said was an AM, started with "IGN_"? I ask because I had a similar experience, where an "IGN_" editor removed a multi-mile section of a new US-24 that is being built in my area. Since I could not drive it yet, I had plotted every point where it crossed an existing road, using a more accurate GPS than my phone or iPad, and extrapolated the route from those points. Of course I no longer had those points available after they deleted my work.

You can read about these "IGN_" editors elsewhere in the forums here, but the short story is that they were hired by Waze to help bring the maps up to speed fast. While many have done an excellent job, a few others have made some rather painful mistakes, and many relied too much on the out of date aerial views to make their editing decisions.

While they have editing rights everywhere, they are actually not considered Area Managers. Did you know that with the old editor, (http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/) that you can open a map layer to see who the AMs are for a particular area. it is a bit hard to figure out however when there are overlapping AMs.

Recently Waze has taken several steps to help prevent this problem using permission levels and better educating the IGN editors.

Several of us at the recent Palo Alto Meet-up discussed the concept of a Sandbox "world" to be used for a training ground and also a test area. What comes to mind, is the training mode of many video games, where you have to pass tests to proceed to the next training level. A sandbox "world" would also be great to test out certain road configurations and routing without damaging the real world maps. A few of us already have some secret little out of the way areas in the real world maps to do such things now. Likely the users that stumble upon them must wonder what their purpose is.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by harling
gettingthere wrote:The other thing regarding the title 'Area Manager'. An Area Manager is an editor that decided they wanted to edit in a specific area and requested it. An Area Manager does not own any portion of the map. Just because a section of the map has an Area Manager doesn't mean that person is really on top of all of the edits that need to be done.
Too true... :roll:

Whenever I make contact with any Wazer from the Boston area--via the forum or a UR that turns into a PM conversation--I do everything I can to encourage them to start editing. This past Summer, five or six people become AMs within my own area, and I was grateful for the help. For the most part it went smoothly, and I focused on the parts of my Area that did not have any other AM. Unfortunately, judging by the open URs, it looks like many of them have "taken an extended leave of absence" in recent months.
There really should be many Area Managers in most places, especially larger cities.
Hear hear. My area covers from Boston to Manchester NH, which encompasses several larger cities as well as a fair amount of "boondocks". If anyone wants to carve out an area full of red bullseyes (or pushpins, as the case may be) or just start knocking them down wherever, I won't miss them!
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by mapcat
c0c0c0 wrote:When I went in the next day the AM's name was on the road, and all my ramps were gone. So I know I stepped on his toes, and pissed him off, but to me having something that a lot of people travel on correct is what is more important.
Don't be so sure that you pissed anyone off. It could be that:
  • The AM wasn't aware of the new construction, and didn't bother to check it out
  • The AM had been dealing with someone's bad edits somewhere else and assumed that this was more of the same
  • The AM possibly knows something you don't about the road, and has a good reason to remove what you added, or
  • Your edits somehow went against best editing practice or other instructions in the wiki.
It's hard to tell without communication. If this happened to me when I was starting out, first thing I'd do would be PM whoever undid my edits and ask what's up. Nobody owns any road or territory here, so if the stuff you drew was legit, there's no reason for someone else to undo it.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1