[PAGE UPDATE] Post Office

Post by Road__Scholar
To Whom It May Concern

I am today writing to inquire about updates for the Place / Post Office Wazeopedia page.  

Current guidance has very extensive instructions on the elements of this place, however is lacking in guidance for listing hours.  

In reviewing multiple post office locations for this post, there are multiple different types of hours, including: Bulk Mail, Lobby, PO Box, Passport Applications, Passport Photos, Retail, Carrier Call Referral Hours, Call Referral Hours, Self-Service Kiosk Hours, and Pickup Services Hours.  Clearly more options that Waze gives in the application and likely .  Further not all locations provide the previously listed services. 

The majority of patrons at Post Office locations seek access to their PO Box, Retail Window Service, or passport service (with the first two being the most common available service at any given branch). 

In reviewing the hours of numerous Post Offices the lobby hours/PO box hours appear to be always greater than that of the retail window service. While like many things this may not universal, however I would suggest that this is likely to be pretty universal.  Therefore, I propose that the Retail Window hours be used for the "Open Hours".  As the PO box is likely to always be open during the retail window hours, there is less value in providing those expanded hours.  Examples where this is not the case should be reviewed on a case by case basis for decision.  

Further as passport hours are often limited compared to retail hours, I would suggest for those locations that do provide such service that be included in the description section after the city, state and ZIP code on a new line.  

My recommended wording:
Open Hours
Please use retail hours in the open hour field, you may add passport application/photo hours in as a separate line in the description below the City, State & ZIP code if available at that branch

Thank you

Road__Scholar

POSTER_ID:17997022

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Thank you for your thorough post, I agree with your logic and desired outcome, do any of our wiki masters want to ensure that this is optimally worded?
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
I agree with this. As someone who has a PO box, I know that I can access it 24/7 and don't care that Waze says the post office is closed.

Open hours should be listed in a way that's most useful for typical drivers who are unfamiliar with a place. That would be retail, someone who has a package to send quickly and wants to find the right place to send it.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by ehepner1977
I'll pile on with the agreements.
ehepner1977
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by ehepner1977
The proposed wording is permissive rather than prescriptive, so, if it the hours are too big to fit, it would be optional to add them.
ehepner1977
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by jm6087
I will disagree just for the fun of it :D

Actually, I do agree but have one question/concern.  With the information currently recommended in the description box, could there end up being to much information that the hours may not all show?
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
ehepner1977 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 pm The proposed wording is permissive rather than prescriptive, so, if it the hours are too big to fit, it would be optional to add them.

Valid point - I remove my dissention   :mrgreen:

jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by ldriveskier
Road__Scholar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:46 pm Where does things go from here. The discussion seams to have halted and it had appeared favorable to the suggested edit?

It has been more than a week since the last comment and all that commented seemed to be in agreement. The next thing to do is to edit the wiki page to make the changes.  :)

ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Road__Scholar
W1QA wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:02 am I think the hours we maintain in Waze should be the most viable subset of when there would be a postal person on-site.   While we tend to put a lot of things in the description field, I think it would add simplicity to recommend that nothing is placed there for USPS places; we provide a URL where a Wazer can certainly check out all the services, hours, etc. that a location may offer.  PLUS: less of a chance that there would be stale info that may have changed.

I agree that we want to minimize stale information, but I think the risk of hours being stale for the passport photos is similar to retail hours.  Both require attention and monitoring, but the impact of the retail hours is greater than that of the passport hours.  Also as indicated it is permissive but not prescriptive that you include this information.  
Road__Scholar
Send a message