Post by SkyviewGuru
Looks good. Thanks DwarfLord.
SkyviewGuru
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
https://i.imgur.com/GmLPXzV.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/s0100.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/SPugkAE.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c5s.png
Idaho State Manager :: Northwest Region USA and Utah Area Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta Tester :: Formal Mentoring 2.0 Mentor
PNH Moderator and Cross-Region Collaboration Liaison for Northwest Region USA

Post by SuperDave1426
DwarfLord wrote:In San Jose, I-880 S becomes SR-17 S. From the driver perspective, the highway just keeps going; it doesn't gain or lose any lanes. Despite there being no signs, the I-880 S to SR-17 S transition is officially I-880 Exit 1A. Two questions: (1) If California loses its waiver, would it be required by federal law to put up a sign alerting all traffic that they are taking Exit 1A (whether they like it or not, there being no choice)? And (2), does it mean we should add guidance to the map now, perhaps "stay to the left to Exit 1A" (although there is no place to leave the highway, so the "stay left" will be meaningless, but at least the Exit 1A will be communicated to the driver)?
If there is a particular need to have Waze say something at the transition point in a case such as the above, why does it need to say "exit to..." when the driver is simply continuing on? Couldn't you just add a wayfinder segment at the point of transition (preferably about where the sign might be showing on the road)? It might still say "stay left" in those cases, but then at least it would simply be announcing the new freeway number ("Stay left to SR-17 S").

I really wish that Waze would give us a "continue straight" voice prompt availability.... :?

Just my own thought on the matter. :)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
for Exit
I propose the following. No guidance has changed. The rules on pronunciation of cardinal letters before the : are mentioned for clarification.
Exit ramps and entrance ramps (on-ramps) 

Exit ramps and Entrance ramps are to be set as  Ramp  road type. The name of the ramp should match the exit or entrance signage as closely as possible. If the Waze instructions and display are different from the sign on the exit, Wazers may be unsure about which exit to take. Include everything that is present on the last sign prior to the exit. Do not combine all possible pre-ramp signage into the single ramp segment name.

====Exit ramps====
*If an exit is signed and numbered, start with the word "Exit", followed by the exit number, followed by a colon (":") and separate all the elements (shields and names) after the colon with slashes ("/") name<br/>
"Exit 24: US-103 / Schwarzenegger Rd".
* If the Exit has an official number document elsewhere, but the exit number does not appear on any signs, do not use it to name the exit ramp. Waze instructions should match the signs where possible to avoid confusion. Please check your state page for any local exceptions to this rule.
* If an exit is signed and unnumbered, start with the word "to" (lowercase) and follow with all elements on the sign, separated with slashes ("/")<br/>
"to SR-33 / Kindergarten Ct".
* If there is no sign at the exit, start with the word "to" (lowercase) and follow with the name of the road the ramp leads to. If that road has both a route number and a local name, use the route number first, followed by a slash, followed by the local name. <br />
"to US-12 / Michigan Ave". If only a local name or only a highway designation are present, use only that. The goal is to provide instructions that
* If a single exit serves multiple roads or cities, use a slash with leading and trailing spaces<br/>
"Exit 32: Terminator Blvd / Total Recall Rd".
* If an exit number contains one or more letters, include it exactly as displayed on the sign. Separate sub-exit letters with a hyphen. Do not leave spaces between the hyphen and the adjacent characters. If the exit number contains one of the cardinal directions N, S, E, W it will be pronounced as the letter, not as the compass direction. Do not include any extra punctuation related to abbreviations<br/>
"Exit 33B: Running Man St"<br/>
"Exits 35C-B-A: Junior Dr / Twins Ave / Jingle All the Way"
"Exit 1E: Sarah Connor Blvd"
* Remember to abbreviate common words according to [[abbreviations and acronyms]].
* If the exit off the main interstate or highway serves multiple exits further down the road, it may be advisable not to name the first exit ramp, but rather name only the ramps which are the first one to a distinct destination. The Waze client will give all the proper exit and keep left or right instructions to guide the driver to the correct exit, even if the first one is not named ([[Navigation instructions for unnamed segments]] for more).That said, this should only be done if the signage for the first ramp is the same as that on the subsequent, named ramp.

====Entrance ramps====
*For entrance ramps, use this format: "to [street name] [direction] / [control city]", where applicable. Do not omit the word "to", because this could cause confusion with, say, the "Select entire street" function. TTS will deal properly with the word "to" when it constructs turn instructions.<br />
"to I-10 W / Baton Rouge"<br />
"to Clearview Pkwy N / Mandeville"<br />
"to US-90 BUS W"<br />
"to LA-1 / Thibodaux / Lockport"<br />
* Do not use "Ramp to" (this would result in [turn right / exit right] to ramp to ...)
* Avoid using "West", "WB", and "Westbound". "WB" is pronounced "double-you bee" and not 'westbound.'
* If signs before the on-ramp provide multiple destination information, combine them into the single on-ramp name. Include enough Major destinations and highways/interstates to assure wazers they are using the correct ramp, but do not add every possible town and city in the same direction<br />
"to US-90 BUS W / to I-10 W / Miss River Brg / Baton Rouge"
*When multiple on-ramps combine before merging into the main interstate or highway, it is advised to name the last common ramp with the conventions listed above. This will usually be the last ramp which is the one which actually joins the main interstate or highway.
* When naming ramps and exits that lead to state highways, follow the road naming conventions in state's wazeopedia pages, or in the table in [[Road naming by state]] if there is none.<br/>
New Jersey: "to State Rte 45".<br />
Louisiana: "to LA-308"<br />
North Carolina: "to NC-55"<br />
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
What if WB or Westbound appears on the entrance or exit sign
Do not spell out compass directions, such as "West" or "Westbound".
Do not use "WB" or similar abbreviations—"WB" is pronounced "double-you bee" and not 'westbound.'
Should we specify 'if the sign says "WB" or "Westbound", then use "W" instead'
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
What's the status on this?
Can the current version go live now (there do not seem to be any objections to the changes), and you can handle the additional reorganization of the information as a future improvement?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I would like to make a quick change to this page.
The section Road_names#Navigation_instructions_for_unnamed_segments transcludes the file Navigation_instructions_for_unnamed_segments/Conditions which should be updated to match the information seen at Navigation_instructions_for_unnamed_segments.

(At the same time, this page should also be updated to transclude the same sub-page, so that the information can be maintained in only one location.)
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have made this change without any further discussion for the following reason:
This edit is uncontroversial, does not make any changes to guidance, brings this page up to date with already-agreed information that was previously updated at
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/index.php?title=Navigation_instructions_for_unnamed_segments
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
This is progress.
That page could still use a lot of TLC.
Any objections if I take a whack at the introductory paragraph?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by whatnt
I worked on a Caltrans sign crew for many years, so I can give some insight about signs.

You'd be surprised by how many signs are actually missing.

When viewing SR-2 N to I-210 E in WSV, I quickly noticed that a G84 sign is missing. If it did exist as required, it would include "21A". It likely does not exist because it is not practical. It wouldn't last one day without being ran over. Why incessantly risk the lives of maintenance people with numerous errant vehicles for a sign that won't last a day? That's crazy! Exit 21B & C do come from SR-2, so they are assigned SR-2 numbering.

The same is true of your second example. Exit signs are required by Federal DOT standards. But they don't exist in WSV either. Why? Probably because they aren't practical.

The lack of an exit sign (or number) in WSV is not sufficient reason to exclude them from Waze segment naming.

Single-post G84 exit signs do not come from the manufacturer with numbers. The numbers must be cut out and applied by hand on each individual sign.

Sign crews learn about signs that need to be replaced simply by driving. They see a knocked over or otherwise damaged sign, stop their vehicles, and replace it. If you have ever stood on foot in a gore point, you will quickly learn that it is not a safe place. People literally have to stand on the freeway to replace these signs. Each crew must make a decision in the moment of whether it is safe to apply the number stickers to the sign--if they even know what number the exit is, and if they even have those exact number stickers on their trucks.

Often the answer is "no" to both. So they quickly install an exist sign WITHOUT numbers and leave.

This is often why you do not see signs with exit numbers. They are required, but often do not exist.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message