Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Update] Road Name/USA

Post by
With the current release and unknown changes in the app v3.8.1.0, the TTS on road names may have changed as stated by KB_Steveo on the old road name thread:

viewtopic.php?f=276&t=42135&start=110#p842026
KB_Steveo wrote:I know this thread is kind of old now, but... I've noticed a number of times you guys mention trying to lessen space used, and trying for brevity when possible and making TTS less wordy, etc. That being said, can we change the wiki so that "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" will not do?

Sorry, I don't have any ramps in my area named that way, so I'm not sure if the "new & improved voice guidance" has changed it, but it drives me nuts when I hear "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" or "Exit right to Exit to Kindergarten Court" instead of just "Exit right to Kindergarten Ct"

(Maybe just keep it for LH exits so you get "Keep left to exit to Kindergarten Ct" if the consensus says to keep it at all?)
If the Road names/USA page is still undergoing changes, we should update that page to contain the template:construction format that other pages are using. Also, we need Champs in contact with Waze app Devs to find out how the TTS format has changed in the app so we don't lose man hours playing around to find the exact format.

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Yeah let's get rid of the "new" notes
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Yes, exactly. We should have simply updated the transclusion in the first place, rather than replacing it with new content. Let's fix it today!
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by bz2012
Nagamasa wrote:@sketch, can we also simplify this:
If the off-ramp from main interstate or highway serves multiple exits further down the ramp, it may be advisable not to name the first exit ramp, but rather name only the ramps which are the first one to a distinct destination. The Waze client will give all the proper exit and keep left or right instructions to guide the driver to the correct exit, even if the first one is not named (Navigation instructions for unnamed segments for more).That said, this should only be done if the signage for the first ramp is the same as that on the subsequent, named ramp.
To:
Refer to
Ramp fork naming in the Junction Style Guide for when If the off-ramp from main interstate or highway serves multiple exits further down the ramp.
May I suggest a slight revision of the "To:"?
See Ramp fork naming in the Junction Style Guide for what to do when the off-ramp from main interstate or highway serves multiple exits further down the ramp.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm wondering whether this would be a good time to modify the wiki to make it clear that the road name that should be listed is the one that shows on the BGS, not some decision based on what the exit ramp connects to. For some reason the page doesn't seem to contemplate that exits without numbers may include control cities as well. My understanding is that we are saying that the exit ramps without exit numbers should be formatted the same as entrance ramps.

Thus:
If the exit sign shows a number as well as a street or highway name, the exit ramp should be named "Exit 7: SR-27 / Bowie" to match a sign like this:
HWY27.png
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 1269 times

If the exit is not numbered, the exit ramp should be named "to I-75 S / Lexington" to match signs like this:
LexingtonApproach.png
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 1275 times
LexingtonOverhead.png
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote:But you also have to cover exits which have a BGS.
:?:
I'm intending to cover exits which have a BGS. Are there exits as we are defining them (i.e. ramps that are part of a grade seperated interchange) that do not have BGSs?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:("to I-75 S / Lexington" could easily be either an onramp or an unnumbered exit; indeed, what's the difference?)
Or both. I've never understood the distinction. A ramp serves as an exit from one road and as an entrance to another.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I'm actually not familiar with that routing problem.
Well there is the problem that the big detour prevention mechanism will prevent routes from one carriage way to the other if the carriage ways are connected through multiple segments when the different directions don't have different names. But this is the way it works now.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm all for clarity. The way I read the instructions is that you can't really match a sign like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9448776 ... 312!8i6656

So you leave that ramp blank to pick up the instructions after the ramp splits to distinct destinations.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:If I had to: Exit 7B-7A: I-95 / I-495 / Beltway / Baltimore / Richmond
But it helps to have the specific exit to know which lane to be in. Better to leave blank and just get exit right to Exit 7B or exit right to Exit 7A instructions. Before the leaving a ramp segment blank worked correctly this exit would generate many URs. Now it doesn't.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I think something like this could be helpful. The one statement I do not understand is "when closely spaced junctions cause repetitious identical instructions that may be distracting/annoying to the driver." How does leaving the first ramp unnamed (and inheriting the instruction from the next routed segment name) help with repetitious identical instructions?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message