[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 pm

I updated the core template driving that content, but each state page has to be flushed to show the new changes. For example I already flushed the California page, but all the other pages will show the original.

I don't recall if we finished creating a script that would touch every page to resolve this problem with the templates on these pages. I know we were doing some tests to see if we could call the page to force a change, but I think we concluded you have to edit the page and save with no changes.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

OK, I bumped all of the US pages that could be.

I see the SE region is doing it's own thing.

Iowa says they are "working on it", so I poked the SM's and RC to see if that can be finished.

And Texas (go figure....) I poked Chad as well.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby SkiDooGuy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Iowa is up to date now.
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby herrchin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 pm

I bumped Nebraska. Has there been any progress on a standard location or style for including Speed Limit information? I jammed NE's information in under Major Roads, which is kind of the dumping ground... I wasn't sure if SL warranted a new top-level header.
USA Country Manager / UT and IA SM
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:44 pm

I can probably find some time to add a new Speed Limit section. I would recommend we add it after the Camera section.

It would follow the same formatting of the other sections with a standard, nationwide portion of that section for all states, and then an optional state specific section.

We just need to agree on what we say in the nationwide section.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu May 12, 2016 7:26 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I can probably find some time to add a new Speed Limit section. I would recommend we add it after the Camera section.

It would follow the same formatting of the other sections with a standard, nationwide portion of that section for all states, and then an optional state specific section.

We just need to agree on what we say in the nationwide section.

A good starting point might be to look to the national Speed Limits/USA wiki page for agreed upon content.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:37 pm

PesachZ wrote:A good starting point might be to look to the national Speed Limits/USA wiki page for agreed upon content.

Good idea. I think since that page is so nicely detailed, we don't need to put much in the template other than to tell editors where to go and if there is any deviation.

I think we can go with something very basic like:
State Template Common Content wrote:The nationwide guidelines for adding Speed Limits to roads are detailed in Speed Limits/USA.

Then in the next paragraph we can have the optional section where each state can make adjustments. The default would look like:
State Template Default State Specific Content wrote:At this time, {STATENAME} follows the nationwide guidelines with no exceptions.

This second section is completely editable by each state through the same interface that we already use on the talk page for all other sections.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu May 12, 2016 11:24 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:A good starting point might be to look to the national Speed Limits/USA wiki page for agreed upon content.

Good idea. I think since that page is so nicely detailed, we don't need to put much in the template other than to tell editors where to go and if there is any deviation.

I think we can go with something very basic like:
State Template Common Content wrote:The nationwide guidelines for adding Speed Limits to roads are detailed in Speed Limits/USA.

Then in the next paragraph we can have the optional section where each state can make adjustments. The default would look like:
State Template Default State Specific Content wrote:At this time, {STATENAME} follows the nationwide guidelines with no exceptions.

This second section is completely editable by each state through the same interface that we already use on the talk page for all other sections.

That's exactly what I was thinking with one caveat. The way the national Pages design it purposefully leave certain elements up to individual local guidance and does not provide complete National guidance. As you read through the page you will see a couple of mentions to check local guidance without definitive National guidance. The state page section on speed limits should address all of these elements perhaps as a parameter for yes and no, or whatever the options are.
  • Whether SLs are permitted on private segments,
  • Whether work zones are supported, and which ones,
  • Where speed limits should change (at the preceding vs following Junction, before or after a median),
  • Minimum distance to add a new junction solely for SL

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:34 am

PesachZ wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking with one caveat. The way the national Pages design it purposefully leave certain elements up to individual local guidance and does not provide complete National guidance. As you read through the page you will see a couple of mentions to check local guidance without definitive National guidance. The state page section on speed limits should address all of these elements perhaps as a parameter for yes and no, or whatever the options are.
  • Whether SLs are permitted on private segments,
  • Whether work zones are supported, and which ones,
  • Where speed limits should change (at the preceding vs following Junction, before or after a median),
  • Minimum distance to add a new junction solely for SL

Cool. That would be easy enough to cover each item in the optional section.

I propose we do one of the following:

-------------------------------------------------------
1. We have a default for all states for the optional content to be instructions that match the majority of the states guidelines. Then the state managers can adjust their state to the specifics.

Or...

2. We can word the default for the optional section to outline those points needing state specific guidance and leave it showing as TBD until a state manager or appropriate state editors come along to clarify the specifics for that state.
-------------------------------------------------------

I personally propose #1 is better, especially for the many states which have minimal management activity. At least those states would have SOME guidance that matches the majority of the other states and then someone can always adjust it as required.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri May 13, 2016 2:32 am

Also in favor of option #1
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators