[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
pumrum wrote:I also think the area managers table should be tweaked to emphasize those who are dedicated to a specific state, so that you have clearly defined, in the following order:

1) The Regional Coordinator(s)
2) The State Manager(s)
3) Other editors, including CMs, in order of rank

Since there are often many Rank 5 and 6 editors in a state that are not acting as the State Manager and are not Country Managers, this would prevent the RC and SM role from getting "lost in the fray" and also prevent the CMs who work in the area from being inundated with tasks that the SM should be handling. I can mock up the CT page with what I think might look good if you'd like.

Are we talking about the old or new table? The new one has rank 3-5 editors who are not State Managers in the third section. The first section is Country Managers (rank 5-6 in the US) who can touch anything in the state. The second section is for State Managers who are clearly dedicated to the state. Aside from people putting themselves in the wrong section, what am I missing?

Considering Waze has recently divorced AMs from rank, and an area manager is not by default promoted to rank 3, it is possible to have rank 2 AMs. I think this needs to be updated to list area editors rank 2-5 instead.

On another note, is this template ready to be implemented, or still in testing?
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby pumrum » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:02 am

What I had in mind was separating those dedicated to the management of the state (RC and SM) at the top as a header, then the standard CM/AM table below to denote CMs with access to the entire state who typically do editing in that state, and AMs who have access to parts of the state. Perhaps below that even, a list of active editors (depending on the state this may be too large to put here)

here's a prototype of what I was thinking. note that style/color/format are just a quick mock up, not necessarily what I think the final product should be. and the features of the Test template would be retained, just the structure would be updated to more closely resemble the prototype
pumrum

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:41 am

pumrum wrote:What I had in mind was separating those dedicated to the management of the state (RC and SM) at the top as a header, then the standard CM/AM table below to denote CMs with access to the entire state who typically do editing in that state, and AMs who have access to parts of the state. Perhaps below that even, a list of active editors (depending on the state this may be too large to put here)

here's a prototype of what I was thinking. note that style/color/format are just a quick mock up, not necessarily what I think the final product should be. and the features of the Test template would be retained, just the structure would be updated to more closely resemble the prototype

I'm not so sure about that, as a non-RC champ who lives in that state may be more able to help than an SM would in certain situations. Same with a non-RC, non-champ country manager. So, the organization should be divorced from rank, but it should stay with role: RC - Champ - CM - SM - AM, I suppose. If SM is truly the step between AM and CM, that is.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:38 am

I think this may point to a "hole in the system." I try to stay on top of changes in rules/guidance, but sometimes one smacks you upside the head when you break it, and someone calls you on it.

What tools do we have to raise awareness of changes in rules/guidance? We have a Wiki update process for discussing and implementing rule changes, but it goes to a minutiae level that not every editor can follow.

Perhaps what we need is a weekly or monthly changes sheet that shows changes that editors should be on top of.

If there's something like this already, and I've just missed it, educate me, please.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby orbitc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:44 am

pumrum wrote:What I had in mind was separating those dedicated to the management of the state (RC and SM) at the top as a header, then the standard CM/AM table below to denote CMs with access to the entire state who typically do editing in that state, and AMs who have access to parts of the state. Perhaps below that even, a list of active editors (depending on the state this may be too large to put here)

Couple of things need updating in your table....
  • Don't name the table State Managers
  • RC and SM are not the same things at all.
  • RC - G/US Champ - CM - SM - AM should be the order
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby orbitc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 am

I hate to keep saying this but this forum is for [New Template] State Template suite Please let's post in the correct forum.
Thanks
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby PesachZ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:56 am

Is the Major roads section designed to incorporate state specific FC guidance? Should there be a separate section for FC compliance being that FC applies to all roads, not just major ones?
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:32 am

Oh way, there totally should be a section about FC guidance. Default value would be that it uses the basic guidance for the US; but you can say "This state uses the US rules for everything except State Highways. For State Highways, set primary routes to at least mH, and secondary routes to at least PS."

And below that, a chart—but this wouldn't be easy to make magic like the others. It may have to be added manually. That's fine, as a state with no special rules can just use the main article chart.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:55 pm

sketch wrote:Oh way, there totally should be a section about FC guidance. Default value would be that it uses the basic guidance for the US; but you can say "This state uses the US rules for everything except State Highways. For State Highways, set primary routes to at least mH, and secondary routes to at least PS."

And below that, a chart—but this wouldn't be easy to make magic like the others. It may have to be added manually. That's fine, as a state with no special rules can just use the main article chart.

For California, I added the FC guidance under Major Roads. It seemed related enough to make sense while we are going through the process for all the states. I do not propose we make a full section on it.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:08 pm

In the Maryland test page, I put the FC information in the mapping resources section. I was looking at Virginia's page and what is being said there is that secondary state highways (those with numbers over 599, and signed with a circle rather than a shield) should not be automatically made minor highways. So there the only state specific FC guidance is specifically not for major roads.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion