[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:10 pm

pumrum wrote:What I had in mind was separating those dedicated to the management of the state (RC and SM) at the top as a header, then the standard CM/AM table below to denote CMs with access to the entire state who typically do editing in that state, and AMs who have access to parts of the state. Perhaps below that even, a list of active editors (depending on the state this may be too large to put here)

I currently have the RC listed in the heading because they cover multiple states, but their role is very specific and may not be an active editor in the state. Therefore only when they want to be called upon as an editor would they add themselves into the state editor list below the header. I create the RC icon and color coding to make them stand out as well.

Assuming the SM role is a step between AM and CM, then I would not put them in a separate section above CMs, and Champs. I would keep the order we have.

orbitc wrote:RC - G/US Champ - CM - SM - AM should be the order

I think we have this based in the current template. See the California example. The question is if we really need to create subsections in the table to separate each entry? That makes the table a bit more complex to edit with separate sections, but I can create template codes for each if we think it is really necessary. My concern is that we have RCs who are also CMs who are also Champs. That is why I created the icons and color coding for the table when you are above an Area Manager.

The color follows the first badge you select. We can have people sort themselves based on their primary badge to fall in the order orbitc proposed here.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1786 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:18 pm

PesachZ wrote:Considering Waze has recently divorced AMs from rank, and an area manager is not by default promoted to rank 3, it is possible to have rank 2 AMs. I think this needs to be updated to list area editors rank 2-5 instead.

The original reason for the numbers was to prevent editors below AM from adding themselves into the table. I think we have migrated far enough that we can remove the rank note now that we list this is a table for AM, SM, and CM. There is a separate table for non-AM editors that is hidden by default until someone in the state decides to enable it. We can create a link at the bottom of the table that say something like:
possible new text below AM/SM/CM table wrote:Editors who are not Area Managers or higher are not added to the table above. If you would like to propose creating a separate table for editors working toward an Area Management position, post a note in this forum {link to state/territory specific forum}

PesachZ wrote:On another note, is this template ready to be implemented, or still in testing?

Until recently we had no other input coming in for changes. Currently we are debating a few changes, so I would say no, we are still in a test phase because many of these changes are major and require updates to individual state pages once they are started.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1786 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:49 pm

CBenson wrote:In the Maryland test page, I put the FC information in the mapping resources section. I was looking at Virginia's page and what is being said there is that secondary state highways (those with numbers over 599, and signed with a circle rather than a shield) should not be automatically made minor highways. So there the only state specific FC guidance is specifically not for major roads.

I believe that it's the case -though the threshold is different- in other states as well. PA for example separated State Routes >999 as being only PS.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah, a number of states have primary/secondary state highways, but I didn't want to put that in the main US guidance because I didn't want people in uniform-system states making arbitrary decisions about primary vs. secondary, and because I wanted dual-system states to consider their own systems before deciding to make this distinction.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 6448
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Nouvelle-Orléans, Louisiane, États-Unis
Has thanked: 2052 times
Been thanked: 2547 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby pumrum » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Along the same lines as the Major Construction Projects, I think there is value in having a Major Events page or list on the template. This would be a simple list of Major Events, mostly regularly occurring (Marathons, New Years celebrations, sporting events, etc) with when they usually occur, links to official information sources, etc. This could help SMs remember what events need to be scheduled in their states and provide a one-stop resource to get the Major Event registered each year.
pumrum
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 am
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 am

pumrum wrote:Along the same lines as the Major Construction Projects, I think there is value in having a Major Events page or list on the template. This would be a simple list of Major Events, mostly regularly occurring (Marathons, New Years celebrations, sporting events, etc) with when they usually occur, links to official information sources, etc. This could help SMs remember what events need to be scheduled in their states and provide a one-stop resource to get the Major Event registered each year.

If we get enough people to support an additional section on Major Events, we can add it. Otherwise the states that want to add it should use one of the current sections, or any state can enable the currently hidden section "Other" accessed from the Discussion tab.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1786 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:56 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
pumrum wrote:Along the same lines as the Major Construction Projects, I think there is value in having a Major Events page or list on the template. This would be a simple list of Major Events, mostly regularly occurring (Marathons, New Years celebrations, sporting events, etc) with when they usually occur, links to official information sources, etc. This could help SMs remember what events need to be scheduled in their states and provide a one-stop resource to get the Major Event registered each year.

If we get enough people to support an additional section on Major Events, we can add it. Otherwise the states that want to add it should use one of the current sections, or any state can enable the currently hidden section "Other" accessed from the Discussion tab.

I would suppose it for NY,
we have many annual traffic nightmare events, marathon, 5 Boro bike tour, new years celebration, Macy*s (July 4th) fireworks displays, west Indian day parade, etc.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 am

PesachZ wrote:I would suppo[rt] it for NY,
we have many annual traffic nightmare events, marathon, 5 Boro bike tour, new years celebration, Macy*s (July 4th) fireworks displays, west Indian day parade, etc.

We currently have the sheet that we submit closures and major events. Do we really want to track these on state pages too? How do we envision this section being used exactly?

Since the construction page is more about closures, maybe we just need to rename the Construction section to a Closure section to incorporate everything related to closures including parades, marathons, and construction projects. The main page for this section could link to the Wiki on closures and if a state wants to track more details, it would then lead to the subpage already designed for Construction (just renaming it to Closures).
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1786 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:I would suppo[rt] it for NY,
we have many annual traffic nightmare events, marathon, 5 Boro bike tour, new years celebration, Macy*s (July 4th) fireworks displays, west Indian day parade, etc.

We currently have the sheet that we submit closures and major events. Do we really want to track these on state pages too? How do we envision this section being used exactly?

Since the construction page is more about closures, maybe we just need to rename the Construction section to a Closure section to incorporate everything related to closures including parades, marathons, and construction projects. The main page for this section could link to the Wiki on closures and if a state wants to track more details, it would then lead to the subpage already designed for Construction (just renaming it to Closures).

That could be a good alternative, though I imagine pumrum was envisioning the event section to be more of a general reference that doesn't change every year. It wouldn't include minutiae details like the times and dates of closures. It would be a general reference of recurring annual events. A place to reference when it's time to submit the event for closure. If it's an event always run by the same organization, the state page may link to the website where current details may be found. If the closure is always the same roads a permeating may be included. But in general it would be a list of recurring events with general dates they happen on for that state. A heads up to editors to be on the lookout for details around that time.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby pumrum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:56 am

PesachZ wrote:I imagine pumrum was envisioning the event section to be more of a general reference that doesn't change every year


Exactly. I like the idea of renaming the Major Construction section to Construction / Closures, or Closures, or something that would allow Major Events, Construction, Closures, etc on one page broken out by section. They all serve generally the same purpose. For major events, just the basics: typical dates, general location, link to official sources, submission status. I'm going to work on making sure that any closures in Connecticut entered into our new closure sheet are also reflected in the Wiki - and if we can settle this change I will do the same for the Major Events.

In NY I could see the Major Event section having a list, ordered by start date, of the regular occurring events (marathon, fireworks, new years, etc). There could be a flag or cell or some other indicator that the Major Event has been submitted for the current year (or is being worked on). This does two things: helps prevent CM/SM/AM from forgetting to submit a major event, and prevents duplicate and last-minute submissions.

Optionally, one-off events could be inserted into the list to indicate if they've been submitted, and a quick link to official closure sources, and then remove them once they're complete (Africa Summit in DC, World Series, SuperBowl, etc).

EDIT: Something like this -- noting that I stuck the first and last event in there as examples only. I also created a Major and Minor events section to see what that looks like. Wouldn't necessarily be required in all states, but NY for example could have Marathons, Parades, Fireworks, etc in the Major Events which are submitted to WazeHQ, and minor Events such as festivals and smaller races that are submitted via the closure sheet.
pumrum
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 am
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 301 times

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: n4dog