[Page Update] Roundabouts/USA

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[Page Update] Roundabouts/USA

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:55 am

This page is undergoing several rounds of updates and simplification. Minor formatting and image updates will be posted here as they are made. In the case of content changes, draft pages will be posted for community review.
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: [Page Update] Roundabouts/USA

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 am

Minor formatting changes were made to the Roundabout Road Type Guide. Specifically, the stroke around the correct RA road type was made more distinct using a red border. It was previously royal blue, which worked well for the old Roads layer, but now blends with MH color scheme.

RA road type examples have also been updated.

See updated table here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Roundabouts/USA#Road_type
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:39 pm

I have drafted a revision of the section on Understanding Navigation Instructions. The main reason for this was because the example given for a roundabout with three nodes being normal from node 1 to 3 but not normal from node 3 to 1 is mathematically impossible. I also wanted to include updated pictures (stored under different filenames) and reorder things a tiny bit in order to be more logical. On the whole this section is very helpful, but I thought I could improve things a little, especially since a roundabout being normal and not normal at the same time is hard to understand. Let me know what you guys think!

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Kartogr ... abouts/USA
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby clubjuggle » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Since a Roundabout is not a Limited Access Interchange, two Freeways should never meet at a roundabout; however, it is conceivable that a Freeway might begin or end at one.

Since the instructions say to take connecting ramps into consideration, it actually becomes quite possible for two freeways to meet at a roundabout. Here is an example of one in Kingston, NY. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 7,74116805

The guidance here would suggest that roundabout should be classed as Freeway, which clearly isn't logical. I propose that the page be revised to remove the sentence quoted above; to replace "If the two highest-type segments have the same type, use that type." with "If the two highest-type segments have the same type, use that type, but in no event higher than Major Highway."; and to add an example with two freeways (one via a ramp) to the example table.
clubjuggle

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Good work so far, I want to also point you to some additional content which may be incorporated here as well from the Interactive junction instruction algorithm. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the wiki team. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
-PesachZ
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 pm

clubjuggle wrote:
Since a Roundabout is not a Limited Access Interchange, two Freeways should never meet at a roundabout; however, it is conceivable that a Freeway might begin or end at one.

Since the instructions say to take connecting ramps into consideration, it actually becomes quite possible for two freeways to meet at a roundabout. Here is an example of one in Kingston, NY. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 7,74116805

The guidance here would suggest that roundabout should be classed as Freeway, which clearly isn't logical. I propose that the page be revised to remove the sentence quoted above; to replace "If the two highest-type segments have the same type, use that type." with "If the two highest-type segments have the same type, use that type, but in no event higher than Major Highway."; and to add an example with two freeways (one via a ramp) to the example table.

this actually would present a routing problem with an additional unneeded penalty being applied here st the roundabout. In this scenario where the RA / ramps connect to 2 Fwys, I want to recommend the roundabout use the Ramp type.

I still agree we should change the wording of the sentence since it is possible for 2 fwys to meet at a RA via ramps, but in that case we should count the type as ramp. so here is my proposal.

The road types of interest in are, in order from highest to lowest, Freeway , Ramp, Major Highway , Minor Highway , Primary Street , Street , Parking Lot Road , and Private Road . Since a Roundabout is not a Limited Access Interchange, two Freeways should never meet directly at a roundabout; however, it is conceivable for Freeways to meet via Ramps, or to begin or end at a roundabout.
If a ramp connects to the Roundabout, use the road type to which that ramp connects. However if the ramp is connected to a Freeway, use the ramp type.

We could then add this example to the wiki page:
A Freeway, a Ramp (connected to a Freeway), a Major Highway, and a Minor Highway, each of these roads are divided. (Recall that divided roads are treated as a single segment for this rule, and when a Ramp is connected to a Freeway, the Ramp type is used).Freeway
Ramp
Screenshot 2016-06-07 at 15.29.34.png
in the example this RA would have to be converted to Ramp first for the pic.
(11.23 KiB) Downloaded 1752 times
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby clubjuggle » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:40 pm

I like that. It would have the added benefit of allowing us to remove the special exception for when all direct connections are ramps.
clubjuggle

Postby Kartografer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:08 pm

PesachZ wrote:Good work so far, I want to also point you to some additional content which may be incorporated here as well from the Interactive junction instruction algorithm.

Thanks, PesachZ. I added the content on roundabout angles to my draft here. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Kartogr ... abouts/USA
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:23 pm

I would recommend not spending too much time and energy on the section that specifies the rules for roundabouts with 4 nodes or fewer. Previously unknown rules were discovered and have yet to be fully elucidated. I expect that section is going to need significant modifications and I wouldn't want your work to be in vain.

That said, good updates so far.
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks, Patti. Do you have any more info on what would need to be modified? Has the normal range of ±15° changed?
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion