[Page Update] Places

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Places

Postby Mvan231 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm

I would say the section about place closures (with procedure method) covers that, but I also updated the section below

Updated Proposal:
If a point place needs to be moved more than approximately 400m (1/4 mile), WME will report an error and not allow saving. Therefore, if a business or other public place has moved a short distance, move the associated point place to the correct location, update the address and delete any photos that are no longer accurate. However, if a business has moved a long distance you have three options:
  1. Move the place within the 400m (1/4 mile) boundary and save, then repeat until reaching the new location.
  2. Convert the place to an area place, stretch a corner to the new location, delete the entry point, then save. Drag three of the geometry points of the area to the new location and delete the fourth, convert to a point place, and save again.
  3. Mark the place as permanently closed in Google (if linked and Google place already exists at new location) and Waze according to the following section, then create a new place at the correct location and fill proper data and linking.
- mvan231 (3)
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)
Mvan231

Postby jm6087 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Mvan231 wrote:I would say the section about place closures (with procedure method) covers that, but I also updated the section below

Updated Proposal:
If a point place needs to be moved more than approximately 400m (1/4 mile), WME will report an error and not allow saving. Therefore, if a business or other public place has moved a short distance, move the associated point place to the correct location, update the address and delete any photos that are no longer accurate. However, if a business has moved a long distance you have three options:
  1. Move the place within the 400m (1/4 mile) boundary and save, then repeat until reaching the new location.
  2. Convert the place to an area place, stretch a corner to the new location, delete the entry point, then save. Drag three of the geometry points of the area to the new location and delete the fourth, convert to a point place, and save again.
  3. Mark the place as permanently closed in Google (if linked and Google place already exists at new location) and Waze according to the following section, then create a new place at the correct location and fill proper data and linking.

I think points 1 and 2 still need to reference moving the Google place to the correct location as well (if needed) Additions in Red

Updated Proposal:

For the first two options, make sure the place is moved in Google as well
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Mvan231 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I agree with the comment. If there are no objections within the next week, I can add this to the live places page
- mvan231 (3)
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)
Mvan231

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:42 am

Can we link to an external page about how-to do the Google part? I don’t want to assume any Waze map editor knows how to report a Google Place as closed or moved, as it’s certainly not explained in the Wazeopedia.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Assist. Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jm6087 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 am

nzahn1 wrote:Can we link to an external page about how-to do the Google part? I don’t want to assume any Waze map editor knows how to report a Google Place as closed or moved, as it’s certainly not explained in the Wazeopedia.

Good point. I just assumed that everyone knows how to do it :D
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:07 pm

I corrected a typo in Places. The page said that an RPP appears as a triangle in the app, when of course "appears as a triangle in WME" was meant.
I made this correction without requesting discussion because it seemed to be a simple typo and a non-controversial change.
If there is any controversy about this change, please revert my change and begin discussion.
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pl ... oint_place

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby johnsninja58 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 am

Places - Description
With the YEXT imports the topic of place descriptions has been coming up more frequently and a topic of conversation today in the wazeopedia_usa channel. I was hoping to gauge the community on best practices of using the description field and maybe even some guidance for editors as the current info on the wiki lacking.
Place Wiki
Do not use the description field for notes to other editors. This field is visible in the Waze app and should only contain details pertinent to the place itself.

Question 1:
To start at the most simple question and for the purpose of this starting question, lets pretend that YEXT imports didnt exist. What should we as editors be putting in this field?
It is unique as almost everything else we enter is factual: phone number, website, services, external providers, categories, etc. And yet here we can enter almost anything we choose. We see guidance from time to time of factual info to include: pharmacy hours for a convenience store, line info for a train station, post office details, charging cable types for EV charging station, which all of these is again factual information.

However from time to time we see people add about us information from a company website, or worse copying from google place info. Obviously copying from yelp or google is against our sources policy, however a companies website appears to enter into a grey area. I personally feel about us, advertisement slogans, or other descriptions run into a grey area that we should avoid. We may not be following their corporate policies on utilization of their copyrighted/trademarked IP. And in the end it makes our places more advertisements than destinations.

What would be best guidance here?
-Only use factual information in this field that is not subject to dispute, opinion, or copyright/trademark?

Question 2:

This is where things get more complicated, as I dont think we as editors should be adding place descriptions, however the YEXT imports were ultimately a paid advertisement with included descriptions. It is further complicated by the fact that these descriptions can exceed the character limit we in WME are given for the description field. What is our best practice for handling these descriptions?

Overall I am inclined to leave them, a company paid for them and we should respect that. However when we get into situations where their places dont meet our PNH or other guidance standards it quickly becomes more complicated. Adding as an example, pharmacy hours is often impossible without deleting the description due to character limits.
Should we reduce the length of their description or remove all together and add our PNH/Guidance descriptor?
-I believe it is an all or nothing situation, where we can not start the habit of modifying their content. If we need to add something to the description per guidance/standards we should clear any other description out.

Question 3:
What to do with existing descriptions? The decisions to add a description is one thing, but what do we do with ones that we suspect may not be from an YEXT or other advertisement import? The ability to see the history of a place can quickly be confusing if it was merged, or without the proper script. How can we verify with and without script support? This one is probably the most challenging question as we discussed today answers to this from leadership could change on a week to week basis. However in keeping with the concept of retention we should always stride to preserve data unless we have clear evidence that it is not appropriate.

I think that state/regional leadership should still be consulted however I know that is something that could be subject to debate and I ask for your thoughts on this one and all the previous questions.

The YEXT imports provide a complicated example of a place which as has been many times discussed do not meet our standards, how much of it is ok and how much should be adjusted? How do we provide guidance to our editors that recognizes the exception that they might be?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:53 am

I proposed a short guidance paragraph regarding the Description field four years ago...

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=153598

At the time we did not have a separate wiki area for the USA; this was long before the great Wazeopedia split and this would have been global guidance. I put the effort on the shelf since optimal content of the Description field seemed highly likely to depend on the country.

But that's no longer the case, the USA has its own wiki now. So feel free to use my thoughts from that time any way you like, if you think they're useful.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby jm6087 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 am

DwarfLord wrote:I proposed a short guidance paragraph regarding the Description field four years ago...

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=153598

At the time we did not have a separate wiki area for the USA; this was long before the great Wazeopedia split and this would have been global guidance. I put the effort on the shelf since optimal content of the Description field seemed highly likely to depend on the country.

But that's no longer the case, the USA has its own wiki now. So feel free to use my thoughts from that time any way you like, if you think they're useful.

Overall, I like your old proposal. I would remove the last line giving the impression to add URL of Yelp, etc.
With the addition of Yext to the discussion, the only other thing that I would add is something like (wordsmith please)
If a description has been added by an approved 3rd party, you may leave it in place (unless you need to remove it for the addition approved description, like pharmacy hours). If you are unsure if the description was added by an approved 3rd party, consult local leadership. If the description was not added by an approved 3rd party and does not meet the current guidelines, remove it.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:27 pm

jm6087 wrote:Overall, I like your old proposal. I would remove the last line giving the impression to add URL of Yelp, etc.
With the addition of Yext to the discussion, the only other thing that I would add is something like [...]

OK, that may give us something like this:
DL's old proposal, plus additions recommended since, wrote:Users see the Description field only when viewing details for a Place. Its contents are not searchable.

Descriptions must be limited to brief, easily verifiable facts that:
  • help drivers locate, identify, or reach a destination;
  • help them park for a destination if potentially confusing;
  • confirm the destination being offered is what the user wanted;
  • highlight possibly unexpected restrictions, such as a park that doesn't allow dogs;
  • qualify the destination's details; or
  • differentiate the hours or other details of any sub-destinations, such as a pharmacy within a larger store.
Descriptions are not for reviews, opinions, or redundant, obvious, or offhand comments, nor are they for educational discussions of history or significance. To offer such information, set the Place's website field to the destination's official website.

If a description appears to have been added by a Waze-approved third party, you may leave it as is aside from any necessary corrections to facts or grammar. You may shorten or remove an existing description in order to include any of the essential information listed above, and you may edit descriptions that seem excessively opinionated in order to improve neutrality, but please respect the standing of advertisers who may have paid Waze to add the Place and its description. Consult local leadership if in doubt.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion