Post by jm6087
I updated your wikipage to have the current SCR reference. This way if someone looks at your draft and the SCR page they don't question the difference.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
SolSash7 wrote:== Place imports ==

Special user accounts are used when porting in hidden back-end data that automatically updates certain fields of a place. You should [[Places#Merge_places|merge places]] when possible to ensure that any of the hidden back-end data is not lost. For additional reading on the special accounts, please see ~~insert link to page not created yet~~
Not all imports have hidden back-end data. Maybe something like:
Special user accounts are used when porting in places, some of these places have hidden back-end links that automatically updates certain fields of the place. You should [[Places#Merge_places|merge places]] when possible to ensure that any of the hidden back-end data is not lost. For additional reading on the special accounts, please see ~~insert link to page not created yet~~

Personally, I don't think the editor profile page is really needed for the import types. Maybe the name itself can be a hyperlink if you want to keep it.

I am on the fence for needing a new page for the list of import brands. If the list is kept with minimal description then it would be ok where it is.
In my opinion, not all import brands have to be listed, but I have no issue with it.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
That makes some sense. Since a page already exists, I have no issues converting the IGN page to a Import Places page.

I still don't think the description needs to be to in depth, but with it on its own page it can be a little longer.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
In my opinion, those are not probably Schools or College/University's. These are generally going to be trade schools and in the SCR, we categorize them as "Other"
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/US ... ry_Mapping
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Personally I don't agree with them being classified as schools.

IMO, the clarification should be that "Schools" should be k-12 type (private or public) schools and not include trade schools.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
DwarfLord wrote:
jm6087 wrote:Personally I don't agree with them being classified as schools.

IMO, the clarification should be that "Schools" should be k-12 type (private or public) schools and not include trade schools.
I can definitely see that perspective. At the moment, my immediate hope is to tweak the area-vs-point guidance at a national level, without intending to comment either way on how to categorize vocational schools.

Even if it doesn't address the underlying categorization question, I'd like to think the simple tweak proposed would be a step forward...?
What about a little more specific?
Use Point for locations that are typically considered "trade schools" and are not a K-12 type school.
Better wording please :D

EDIT:
Even if a trade school has its own building and is not part of a retail location, it should still be a Point, no matter the category used.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I understand your reasoning. Lets see how the discussion proceeds with your proposal. I think appearance can be tough to call as well. What is "dedicated outdoor space" or "an outward appearance"

What about something along the lines of "locations occupying what appears to be a shopping center or mall' or just "locations that are within a shopping center or mall"
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I am not a fan of
An entry point is necessary only when:
It sounds like you should ONLY ad the entry point if the criteria are met. There is nothing wrong with adding an entry point even if the criteria is not met.

I think this sounds more accurate:
An entry point is necessary when:
Under the Testing Guidance section
Currently, multiple entry points for area places are being tested. Any editor can add more than one multiple entry point. The production mobile app directs users to the earliest-created entry point and does not use entry point names or the “main” designation. This is why current guidance recommends only one entry point per place.
I would add something about not deleting existing multiple entry points without checking with local leadership first. My concern would be that someone will read that the current guidance is only one entry point and start deleting existing multiple points.

Also, not all places with multiple entry points are done for "testing" purposes. For example, there are a bunch of PLAs created by WazeParking that have multiple entry points and don't have any MC.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
XKSpeed wrote:"An entry point is necessary only when.." seems to contradict "it is recommended to add one or more explicit entry points to all area places" earlier in the page. Explicit entry points are a good practice, so I say we go with the latter guidance.

I suggest for setting a single entry point for area places, we refer editors to the "Positioning examples" section for how to set it. I see no reason the rule for point places should be different than area places.

I agree. In fact, looking at the Point Place Location Details Section
The point place should go on or very near to the segment to which the driver should be navigated. By default, the Waze routing server will navigate the Wazer onto the segment which is closest to where the point is positioned. Typically, if the place is inside a building, the marker should be located at or near the location's front door. Think: where would a car stop to drop someone off for this location. If the closest segment to the physical location of the place is not where a driver would drop someone off to go there, an entry point may be added, which will cause routing to stop at the segment closest to the entry point instead of the place point.
There are several things that are wrong or misleading.

This implies that the PP should be on the segment. I don't think many people will disagree that the PP should never be on the actual segment. It should generally be on the building.
The point place should go on or very near to the segment to which the driver should be navigated.
I think this should read something like
The point place should be located at or near the location's front door. Think: where would a car stop to drop someone off for this location.

I think this portion can be clarified better as well
By default, the Waze routing server will navigate the Wazer onto the segment which is closest to where the point is positioned. Typically, if the place is inside a building, the marker should be located at or near the location's front door. Think: where would a car stop to drop someone off for this location. If the closest segment to the physical location of the place is not where a driver would drop someone off to go there, an entry point may be added, which will cause routing to stop at the segment closest to the entry point instead of the place point.
To something like
By default, Waze routes to a point place as if there were an entry point located at the nearest segment. This default behavior may or may not yield best routing results. To ensure optimal routing, it is recommended to add an entry points to all point places, which will cause routing to stop at the segment closest to the entry point instead of the place point.
Combining it all
The point place should be located at or near the location's front door. Think: where would a car stop to drop someone off for this location. By default, Waze routes to a point place as if there were an entry point located at the nearest segment. This default behavior may or may not yield best routing results. To ensure optimal routing, it is recommended to add an entry points to all point places, which will cause routing to stop at the segment closest to the entry point instead of the place point.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
russblau wrote:
jm6087 wrote:
The point place should be located at or near the location's front door. Think: where would a car stop to drop someone off for this location. By default, Waze routes to a point place as if there were an entry point located at the nearest segment. This default behavior may or may not yield best routing results. To ensure optimal routing, it is recommended to add an entry points to all point places, which will cause routing to stop at the segment closest to the entry point instead of the place point.
For clarity, I suggest changing the second sentence to read, “By default, Waze routes to a point place as if there were an entry point located on the segment that is nearest to the place.”
I am good with that
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ