Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Hazardous Materials / Cargo (HM) (HC) on BGS

Post by DaveKS14
We have new interstate exit/entrance ramp signage being put up by Ohio DOT that includes the HM inside a circle to designate Hazardous Material routes (or the older HC for Hazardous Cargo). Not sure if I'm asking the right question, but an Update Request pointed out the HM symbol on the new Big Green Sign directing drivers carrying Hazardous Materials to the proper route.

Also, last year ODOT in Columbus lost a bridge to a fire from a truck carrying Hazardous Materials on a non-HM route. By marking it in WME from the BGS, it will read it out to drivers as well as display it if the driver checks the turn-by-turn instructions-list (not that that would force drivers to follow an HM route.)

One proposal would be, for instance, to mark an exit ramp (from US-33 freeway) as "Exit 108: I-270 S / HazMat Rte". I believe this reads back correctly in the app also.

I will admit this is a different approach than tying the HM-designation to a road-type, or road-feature like "Unpaved" or "Toll Road". These approaches may still be appropriate for HM, but if approved, using the Street description from the BGS can be implemented without changes to WME or the app.

Thoughts? Thanks, David
DaveKS14
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:16933280

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
HM replaced HC in the MUTCD I think in 2003. Seems like your wording would fall under matching the BGS, regardless of whether the sign says HM or HC in the green circle. Are you proposing an additional clarification in the USA road names wiki? I know hazmat routes and restrictions are signed in different ways by state; some put it on the BGS and some don't.

It makes sense to match the name to what's on the sign, but as for actually directing hazmat carriers around the city, I don't think it will do much, since it won't change routing. That's what type restrictions are for, and we could set a hazmat type restriction on the first segment of a hazmat restricted route (such as I-70 inside I-270 in Columbus). However, it's doubtful we will ever support truck routing, let alone hazmat routing. That's on them to obey posted signs.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32