Post by subs5
Yes the TIO for the turn is separte but still on this forum, why I did separate post.

For your example I don't think I was at that intersection when I was driving around there a while back. Visited the Tower and a map store. Do find it funny that there isn't a TIO there now since the old hack of a 3 m stub is there.... :D

In all seriousness, to me there are exceptions and if the State's/Region's leadership agrees then great add the TIO.
I understand your concern but to me the TIO is not for the terminus of two streets, but the stop sign and hill combination. (More the hill). So I would lean towards adding:
"If visibility due to a elevation changes (ex. hill summit or base), a wall, a sharp corner obscures the turn, then add a TIO for improved user experience.

This makes the proposed change:
"When two streets meet at their terminus and each can only turn into the other, then turn left/right turn instruction override are not required. Two exceptions would be:
# If visibility due to a elevation changes (ex. hill summit or base), a wall, or a sharp corner obscures the turn
# If there is a unmapped service alley or parking lot road (that would not normally be mapped) at the intersection
Then add the appropriate TIO for improved user experience."
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by subs5
DwarfLord wrote:If this sounds worthwhile I can draft this up in my personal space and folks can see what I mean. I think this new structure would provide a better framework for building on this article as time goes by.
Since there hasn't been any dissent in a week, I would say go ahead and post a draft. I think the new structure sounds like a good idea.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Since we are working on this page, I have removed all the old pictures of the speaker since the grey box now has TIO, TBTR, and DTs. I also removed the language that talked about the speaker icon and the different colors for enabled and disabled.

I have the whole TIO page redone here, so if you want to make your changes to this page for the change above on the format, feel free.

Figure might as well get rid of the obsolete pictures and wording while tweaking. Don't think any of the changes will be controversial since redid the same photos with the grey box.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Discussed with Dwarflord, he had PM'd me to make the changes that have been out there that are noncontroversial and after published he would submit a proposal for others to consider on redoing the order of the page.

Therefore all previous proposals that changed the pictures to the new grey box turn restriction interface (and supporting words) and the table from Kentsmith9 is now live.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Overall I like the reorganization.

For the drawbacks to continue, should we mention that the app already shows name changes visually on the screen even if no TIO is used? Ex. Traveling northbound on Main St and at the intersection there is a left turn to stay on Main Street (westbound) and continuing northbound changes to Maple St. The bottom of the screen shows Main St and then in the middle will be a display of Maple St. If the next turn is close enough then that third road segment name will be displayed too.

For the u-turn another example is a T intersection on a road where turning left can only be a uturn. So instead of two left turns you can use make a uturn TIO.

Since cleaning up, one that I didn't catch earlier.
Wayfinder needs updating for words and the photo to match. Words say turn left photo shows keep left.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
The current wazeopedia has adding a continue TIO for best continuations that are tolled, marked or unmarked. This includes toll roads, bridges, and paid entrances into large areas.
Waze already identifies if a toll road is included in the map. The MAR leadership team has determined that seems a bit chatty and is redundant to other indications in Waze. Wanted to see if other regions agreed prior to making an exemption for MAR from the current guidance.

Paid entrances to large areas would most likely include National Parks and it was determined that mapping the parks that had entrance fees that affected routing was not desired which seems to contradict the current wazeopedia. If they are mapped then the TIO announcing them would be incorrect if the NPS America the Beautiful Pass is added as a toll free restriction to the segment and the person has that pass added in the settings.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
The Mid-Atlantic Region leadership discussed and decided that they did not want to have it announced but prior to making it regional guidance to see if others agreed to make it national guidance.

If you are continuing on a road that goes from toll free to tolled, it is not very explicit on where the announcement should be. 1) At the toll collection facility - which is too late to do anything if you don't want to pay the toll. 2) If prior to the last exit before the toll, but then what about the people who enter the road after that prompt. This occurs when the last exit is before the last entrance on several roads.

For the Hatem Bridge in Baltimore, there is a toll for users, except if someone has purchased a Hatem EZPass then the bridge is toll free. Not sure how to mark that one so it is not announced. If the person has avoid tolls and the appropriate transponder selected they will get a continue to toll (or what ever is entered) even though there is no toll.

Also there is no guidance on having a short 6 m segment with the primary road name as an alternate for the routing continuity calculation.

I spent about 24 hrs last year and generated a list of all the NPS parks with links to the gates that had through roads that charged a fee to use. There was essentially no interest to mark as toll and to have the toll free restriction for the NPS America the Beautiful Pass so that they were toll free for those users. So it seems a bit inconsistent to have the toll plaza for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge announced or for entering a NPS. The NPS fees can be $25 to $50 for the one entry (the entry fee is usually good for a week). So to me there is no consistency on how these similar items are handled.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
We did not have wording proposed yet. Wanted to see what the consensus was nationally since wording on the USA wiki would be different than the wording for a regional exemption on the MAR (and links to it on the four state (ok 3 state and one city with the nation's Capitol :lol: ) pages.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message