Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Nagamasa
I suppose a flow chart with a 1-line instruction, plus the corresponding screenshot of the action.
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.png
AM4: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM4: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android

Post by Nagamasa
Kartografer wrote:
subs5 wrote:out of curiosity why make initial roads as PR if unknown date? Why not just make appropriate FC with SLs and be done?
This comes from this old thread, in which some suggested making roads under construction PR to distinguish them visually on the map, I think. However, from reading back through that discussion, I'm not sure whether to specify creating the roads with the correct type but without connecting them until the opening time is known. Different people said different things, and that was a few years ago too, but maybe leaving unconnected would be simpler.
If new roads overlap existing road might need to make up elevations for a while. If this is done post MC and make sure new roads set properly after opening.
Setting them as PR I think is a good idea. It doesn't show up when zoomed out and sort of looks like a "under construction" sketch until nearing opening time.
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.png
AM4: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM4: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android

Post by sketch
I think that is the way to do it, although TBSR isn't really necessary when using PR. I like the visual of PR for still-a-long-way-to-completion roads. Lip service on the map without making it look like there's an actual usable road there.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by subs5
out of curiosity why make initial roads as PR if unknown date? Why not just make appropriate FC with SLs and be done?

If new roads overlap existing road might need to make up elevations for a while. If this is done post MC and make sure new roads set properly after opening.

Also recommend posting a Map Comment (MC) with link to any announcements from DOT or even a paper with plans and or expected dates.

add a note that often during the final day the entire area might be closed for painting or final touches so you may need RTCs for both old and new. (Virginia DOT often does this)

I would have TBSR or TBTR end a week before the expected change so that you don't get caught in bad tile update schedule. :roll: Not that we ever experience 5 -10 day update lag.

I have found TBSR when added the new roads and then as soon as possible remove and have the RTC to prevent routing

Add a comment to be on look out for weather delay and adjust RTCs as necessary.

Add a Map Comment for noting any TIO that were used to prevent unexpected instructions so that they can be removed when the shift occurs and not forgotten. (Or if you prefer since no notification of MC deletion on NA server, post a [NOTE] UR so if someone closes anyone following and the writer are notified and can go back up to 7 days later and repost by copying.

Recommend putting the long paragraphs into list form with short bullets. Easier for others to follow and not miss a sentence in middle of the paragraph

Recommend the RTC section be included in each of the no known date section and known date section or at least have a step "Go to set RTCs"

Recommend having Known Date before the unknown date section

Why is restrict turns as necessary needed if already have RTC and TBSR? After new config is confirmed remove RTC and delete segments
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by subs5
Kartografer wrote:
subs5 wrote:
Why is restrict turns as necessary needed if already have RTC and TBSR? After new config is confirmed remove RTC and delete segments
After the opening nothing will have active TBSRs (don't want to use them in case the opening gets delayed by weather, as you mentioned; I did that once and caused a UR storm), and if you remove RTC and delete, the old roads will still route until the tile update takes them off the map. That's why the extra step is needed while preserving the segment ID for the closure.
Sorry I wasn't very clear here. What I do is to have a RTCs scheduled for removal when the new roads open and appearing when the old roads close. That way if there is a delay, then easy to change the RTCs to the new date. Then once it opens and is confirmed. I will remove the RTC from the old road(s); put on TBSR(s) on road(s) that are at the start of the old path, and then reinstall the RTC on the old road(s). Yes there is about a minute or two that someone could be routed on the road, but then the old road(s) don't have routing on them. After the next tile update when the TBSR is on the old road(s) remove the RTC and delete the old segments.

The above works for me but your way works too. So personal preference. Since there are many tools in the editor toolbox and choose the one that works for you.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
I aamgree with t0cableguy except if you set a TBSR and RTC for when road is supposed to be closed then you can have all traffic flow terminated if there is a delay in both the road change and the tile updates.
So I recommend just using RTCs around the time of the change so that dates can be updated without a tile update in case opened early (contractor gets bonus) or delayed due to weather or performance of workers or inspector.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Setting new segments private from the beginning only complicates opening them in the future for use.

I don't see the benefit of setting TBTR over setting a TBSR before the final deletion of the segment. I've never had an issue replacing a RTC after setting a TBSR as long as I didn't modify junctions or cut the segment. I'd also recommend setting a TBSR and a RTC at the same time when the segment is officially decommissioned. Segments can still be routed or snapped to if they are not restricted.
Then once the tiles update you can safely check that routing is prevented by the TBSR on the segment before fully deleting it.

Creating junction nodes in segments has the possibility of breaking the ability of placing a RTC on the original segment (because it is no longer the same segment it is two different ones), as well as complicating setting RTC's and TBR's on those segments. I'd much rather set an elevation high or low temporarily than junction a segment.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by t0cableguy
The only reason I suggest a TBSR on a FULLY decommissioned segment is that routing cannot be restricted without setting a restriction. Setting the closure and the restriction on the ramp once it is FULLY decommissioned allows for the ramp to not be routed during the deletion phase. Applying a closure solves the issue immediately, but once the segment is deleted you cannot apply a closure. Then you cannot delete the segment without allowing traffic be routed on it from the time of deletion to the time the tiles update.

WME also throws the regression checker at you when you set all turn restrictions to a segment. Its a pain both ways, but setting a restriction to always, then setting a closure a month in the future isn't that difficult for me, and it ensures the segment will never route in the future.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@