Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page] Scheduled reconfigurations

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
From dealing with new road construction opening up a few times and learning some things the hard way, I figured a page on the process of changing road configurations with closures in high-traffic areas would be useful. This is my draft on Wazeopedia. Comments/criticism appreciated!

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... igurations
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:17169121

Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Nagamasa wrote:One suggestion is to better show the actual stages of construction in the map.

Before -> Add closed, new ramps -> set RTC on new ramps and remove TR -> set future RTC on old ramps -> set TR on old ramps -> remove old ramps.
So are you suggesting something like adding a flowchart to the top of the page to summarize the process? I am working on a few revisions.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I have updated the draft with a flowchart as well as some stuff about adding a major traffic event for push notifications.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I was alerted to an old discussion on this topic found here: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=120281
A few more features have been added into WME since then, but apart from my proposal to use time-based segment restrictions instead of simple turn restrictions when creating a new road, I believe my page matches the general consensus.

Any other feedback before I publish this? Apparently such a page has been needed for a few years...
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

subs5 wrote:out of curiosity why make initial roads as PR if unknown date? Why not just make appropriate FC with SLs and be done?
This comes from this old thread, in which some suggested making roads under construction PR to distinguish them visually on the map, I think. However, from reading back through that discussion, I'm not sure whether to specify creating the roads with the correct type but without connecting them until the opening time is known. Different people said different things, and that was a few years ago too, but maybe leaving unconnected would be simpler.
If new roads overlap existing road might need to make up elevations for a while. If this is done post MC and make sure new roads set properly after opening.

Also recommend posting a Map Comment (MC) with link to any announcements from DOT or even a paper with plans and or expected dates.
Yeah or just junction them and leave cross turns disabled. I don't like up-elevations that aren't real, because it seems hackish, but it would work fine. The page currently suggests adding a map comment if necessary, but maybe that should be strengthened to add a map comment always, since these reconfigurations can almost always cause confusion, and the MC would contain useful info as you say.
I would have TBSR or TBTR end a week before the expected change so that you don't get caught in bad tile update schedule. :roll: Not that we ever experience 5 -10 day update lag.
Of course tile updates are often delayed :mrgreen: I'm not sure it's best to have the TBSR end a week before the opening though. The point of having the TBSR end on the day before opening is that tiles don't need to update for routing to be enabled, since routing will start the next morning at midnight UTC. It's a failsafe in case you add a road a week in advance, it gets loaded to the map, but there's no other tile update afterwards, or you miss adding a closure.
Why is restrict turns as necessary needed if already have RTC and TBSR? After new config is confirmed remove RTC and delete segments
After the opening nothing will have active TBSRs (don't want to use them in case the opening gets delayed by weather, as you mentioned; I did that once and caused a UR storm), and if you remove RTC and delete, the old roads will still route until the tile update takes them off the map. That's why the extra step is needed while preserving the segment ID for the closure.

As for the rest of your comments, I agree and will get to work :) You and anyone else are welcome to make changes as well. Before your reply I moved this to the main space at https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Sc ... igurations. Thanks for reviewing this and providing helpful feedback Alan!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

t0cableguy wrote:I don't see the benefit of setting TBTR over setting a TBSR before the final deletion of the segment. I've never had an issue replacing a RTC after setting a TBSR as long as I didn't modify junctions or cut the segment. I'd also recommend setting a TBSR and a RTC at the same time when the segment is officially decommissioned. Segments can still be routed or snapped to if they are not restricted.
Then once the tiles update you can safely check that routing is prevented by the TBSR on the segment before fully deleting it.
I meant setting a simple turn restriction, not a TBTR, to roads that are no longer in use. It's simpler and easier to do than deleting a closure, setting a segment restriction, then adding the closure back in. Setting a TBSR at the same time as RTC can work, but it also leaves one vulnerable to delays.
subs5 wrote:So I recommend just using RTCs around the time of the change so that dates can be updated without a tile update in case opened early (contractor gets bonus) or delayed due to weather or performance of workers or inspector.
Good point on early openings. Definitely want to be flexible in both directions, so I will change things to reflect just using RTCs around the time of the change.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

As for the construction stages, how about a compromise, with PR+TBSR used for roads in early stages, and correct type+RTC used on the roads within a few months of opening?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I have incorporated many of the changes suggested here, including the stuff about PR+TBSR only used in early stages, the alternative of using TBSR instead of TR on unused roads after reconfig, using elevation differences at overlaps and talking about decommissioned roads. I changed the formatting to include more bulleted lists, and I moved the page to "Scheduled reconfiguration" in keeping with the Wikipedia manual of style, which we try to follow :)
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by Machete808
+1. Thank you, Michael! This page addresses the issue comprehensively and will be very helpful going forward. I'm going to share with my more advanced mentees -- and I love having the guidance myself.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Nagamasa
Almost looks good. I prepped a presentation on this for the Canadian community, and it lines up with what you've written.

One suggestion is to better show the actual stages of construction in the map.

Before -> Add closed, new ramps -> set RTC on new ramps and remove TR -> set future RTC on old ramps -> set TR on old ramps -> remove old ramps.
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.png
AM4: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM4: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android