[Page Update] Parking Lot Areas Naming Guidelines

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[Page Update] Parking Lot Areas Naming Guidelines

Postby karlcr9911 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 pm

It has been suggested by a few Champs with general consensus by several other Champs to update our naming guidelines for PLA's.

Current Guidance:
"Starbucks Parking (customers only)"
"Macy's Lot (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center"
Lot D (attendees only) - Cheery Stadium"
"Alpha Lot (permit only) - StudyHard University" Parking allowed by permit only ( even if permits are available to multiple groups (eg for Students, and Faculty)
"Bravo Lot (restricted access) - StudyHard University" Parking allowed for Students, and Faculty ONLY

Suggested Guidance:
"Parking - Starbucks (customers only)"
"Parking - Macy's - Big Hill Shopping Center"

Restrictions removed in example above compared to current guidance just to eliminate any confusion that may exist. Restrictions would still be appropriate if local guidance restricts a lot specifically to customers of that establishment.

The changes reflected are those that are for dedicated business lots where an official name doesn't exist. The change does not affect cases where the name of a particular business is used to describe the location of a lot in relation to a larger entity.

These changes will also provide for a better search experience in the app. Please provide any feedback about these suggested changes. If we do not feel a consensus is reached after a few days, we will add a poll to this thread.
Regional Coordinator - U.S. South Central
iOS Beta Leader / Tester | WME Beta Tester
[ img ][ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: [Page Update] Parking Lot Areas Naming Guidelines

Postby johnsninja58 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 pm

How would the Lot D and Alpha Lot change

Overall looks cleaner and simpler
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 pm

I agree with "Parking - Starbucks (customers only)". This brings one-lot-one-business naming closer in line with other types of lots, and will go very far to avoid polluting search results.

I do not agree with "Parking - Macy's - Big Hill Shopping Center". In the case of "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Macy's" is referring to the location of the lot relative to the shopping center, which is what the lot serves.

--

In short, the name of every parking lot should fit a particular framework (ignoring the placement of restrictions for the moment):

[Parking descriptor] - [Business served]

The framework is not recursive. In other words, there is only one business served in any lot name, and the rest of the name is the descriptor. The descriptor can be:
  • completely generic ("Parking - Starbucks") for single-business-single-lot;
  • purpose descriptive ("Customer Parking - Office Depot" and "Employee Parking - Office Depot"; "Visitor Parking - LSU Eunice"; "Employee Parking - MSY" [airport]) where there is only one lot of the type;
  • location descriptive ("Southeast Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Grand Blvd Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Target Garage - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Dillard's South Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "North Lot - Offices at Buildingtown Plaza", etc.) where more than one lot serve the same purpose for the same place; or
  • named ("Garage 2A - Mercedes-Benz Superdome", "Credit Card Lot - MSY") where the lot is given an official name.

But there is one common thread: the first element is a description of the lot by purpose, location, or just generically; and the second element is the associated business.

No sub-elements, no recursion, no Inception. We don't have to go deeper.

The current wiki guidance fits within this framework with the exception of "Starbucks Parking", which should instead be written, "Parking - Starbucks".

--
edited to add

The specific case of shopping center parking, particularly the "location descriptive" group above, is where the "recursion" problem can arise, the temptation to name a lot "Parking - Macy's - Big Hill Shopping Center". But this naming scheme leads to a disparate result, as many if not most malls will not sensibly be able to name every lot or garage after an anchor store. You'll see "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center" next to "Southeast Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center" and "Grand Blvd Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center". Introducing another hyphen, reversing the words, and replacing "lot" with "parking" will serve to be more confusing.

Further, to broach the subject of where to place ([restrictions]), "Macy's Parking (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center" (and "Parking - Macy's (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center") give the false impression that the parking lot is limited to Macy's customers only, when in reality you can park there and go anywhere in the mall. Though there is concern with space, restrictions might belong at the end of the string in some cases. Or do we say that Americans understand how customer parking works and we just leave such generic restrictions as "customers only" (the norm for the USA) off? Public parking is the exception, not the rule.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:46 pm

sketch wrote:I agree with "Parking - Starbucks (customers only)". This brings one-lot-one-business naming closer in line with other types of lots, and will go very far to avoid polluting search results.

I do not agree with "Parking - Macy's - Big Hill Shopping Center". In the case of "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Macy's" is referring to the location of the lot relative to the shopping center, which is what the lot serves.

--

In short, the name of every parking lot should fit a particular framework (ignoring the placement of restrictions for the moment):

[Parking descriptor] - [Business served]

The framework is not recursive. In other words, there is only one business served in any lot name, and the rest of the name is the descriptor. The descriptor can be:
  • completely generic ("Parking - Starbucks") for single-business-single-lot;
  • purpose descriptive ("Customer Parking - Office Depot" and "Employee Parking - Office Depot"; "Visitor Parking - LSU Eunice"; "Employee Parking - MSY" [airport]) where there is only one lot of the type;
  • location descriptive ("Southeast Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Grand Blvd Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Target Garage - Big Hill Shopping Center", "Dillard's South Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center", "North Lot - Offices at Buildingtown Plaza", etc.) where more than one lot serve the same purpose for the same place; or
  • named ("Garage 2A - Mercedes-Benz Superdome", "Credit Card Lot - MSY") where the lot is given an official name.

But there is one common thread: the first element is a description of the lot by purpose, location, or just generically; and the second element is the associated business.

No sub-elements, no recursion, no Inception. We don't have to go deeper.

The current wiki guidance fits within this framework with the exception of "Starbucks Parking", which should instead be written, "Parking - Starbucks".

--
edited to add

The specific case of shopping center parking, particularly the "location descriptive" group above, is where the "recursion" problem can arise, the temptation to name a lot "Parking - Macy's - Big Hill Shopping Center". But this naming scheme leads to a disparate result, as many if not most malls will not sensibly be able to name every lot or garage after an anchor store. You'll see "Macy's Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center" next to "Southeast Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center" and "Grand Blvd Lot - Big Hill Shopping Center". Introducing another hyphen, reversing the words, and replacing "lot" with "parking" will serve to be more confusing.

Further, to broach the subject of where to place ([restrictions]), "Macy's Parking (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center" (and "Parking - Macy's (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center") give the false impression that the parking lot is limited to Macy's customers only, when in reality you can park there and go anywhere in the mall. Though there is concern with space, restrictions might belong at the end of the string in some cases. Or do we say that Americans understand how customer parking works and we just leave such generic restrictions as "customers only" (the norm for the USA) off? Public parking is the exception, not the rule.

+1 I agree completely here.
I'll add that it was understanding from the initial page that this was the intent, and I'll be happy to see it formalized. Sketch did a great job explaining the intent here.

I'm not concerned about agree to place restrictions in the name due to length. I'm fine with them at the end of the name, and the description.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:47 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:How would the Lot D and Alpha Lot change

Overall looks cleaner and simpler

They would not change at all with this proposal
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby NJMedic2535 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:49 am

I rarely use the parking feature in the app - I just don't go many places where parking is difficult to find. Therefore I'm relatively ignorant of the true functionality of the feature and how it can be tweaked.

I do, however, agree that using naming that starts with "Parking" and then "location" and "place" as the syntax makes plenty of sense from a search-ability and readability standpoint.

Perhaps we could describe the syntax as:
"Parking - [business]" for cases like small stores ("Parking - Hipster Coffee Bar") and
"Parking - [sublocation] - [large area]" for cases like malls and airports ("Parking - Lot A - Big University" or "Parking - Long Term - Busy Airport" and "Parking - Big Chain Store - Crowded Shopping Mall")
Greg C. - State Manager, NJ

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager

Postby GeekDriverPeaceful » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 am

I definitely agree with Sketch's post. We want to keep things consistent and refrain from using more than one hyphen. Plus, writing "Parking" first would make indexing the search results a lot easier. Writing Parking at the end would make it seem a duplicate of the business. So in short, keep it simple and provide useful search results to Wazers who are parking geeks. ;)
GeekDriverPeaceful
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:36 am

sketch wrote:I agree with "Parking - Starbucks (customers only)". This brings one-lot-one-business naming closer in line with other types of lots, and will go very far to avoid polluting search results.

Agree with what Sketch has said, but I did want to elaborate on this point. With many recent ad campaigns over, and the flurry to update the place points for many businesses, I want to be sure we're also clear on defining guidance on one-lot-one-business (OLOB) PLA naming. Currently the wiki page only lists OLOB within the example of Starbucks.

I'd like to see more explicit guidelines around if a parking lot serves a single business the naming guidance would be Parking - [Business Name]. While it can be implied based on naming PLAs within shopping centers and malls, I think it would be beneficial to have this defined for OLOB.
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Jakflash » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Completely agree with what Sketch said.
- Gary / Jakflash

USA Champ, Country Manager, SM Florida,
AM GA, AL, TX, NY, & PR

[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Southeast/FL/GA/AL Wiki | New Editor Welcome | Incorrect Edits
Jakflash
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Nagamasa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am

One quick suggestion: Can move to use colons instead of spaced hyphens (" - "). More often than not, the line break at the hyphen, and most places look like:
Parking
- Macy's

Colon would look like this:
Parking:
Macy's

which is much more elegant.

---

More important note:

We've done a lot of work for de-cluttering search results, but where are all my friends that complain of map clutter? Did we forget about it? I think we also need a solution (or ask Waze) to not show parking lot names on a map. This looks ridiculous: http://imgur.com/a/ApEd6

Where we can we find a middle ground? It's silly that we won't show areas for entire buildings, but yet we're encouraging editors to map the parking lot around the buildings?
[ img ]
AM3: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM3: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion