[Page Update] Parking Lot Areas Naming Guidelines

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Parking Lot Areas Naming Guidelines

Postby ajcadoo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 am

Hey guys,

Does the Operator of the PLA take precedent over the name field? All the PLAs at LAX right now show up as LAWA, which is the operator listed on each PLA.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 am

Do we know why parking lot names are defaulting to the Operator in the client? Has this been confirmed as a bug?
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 am

PesachZ wrote:
ajcadoo wrote:Do we know why parking lot names are defaulting to the Operator in the client? Has this been confirmed as a bug?

This is the same behavior as gas stations, if you search by category example you search for nearby parking it will list it at by operator assuming that people prefer certain operators. If you search by specific name by typing in the name into the search then it uses the primary name or the alternate name and displays the primary name. This is working as designed perhaps we can try to change that design by suggesting a better alternative before people who have memberships with specific chains they want to be able to see the operator so we need a way to accommodate them

That seems horribly flawed. If I am a Wazer, I want to know about the parking lot, not who runs the thing. The majority of users don't give a care in the world who the operator is.

I guess a happy medium would be, if the Parking Lot name has a specific and Unique name based on its location (Trader Joe's Lot), then No Operator should be listed. However, if it is a generic paid parking lot (ie Parking Lots downtown), then an Operator could be useful.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 pm

PesachZ wrote:
Nagamasa wrote:I suppose the thing worth noting for the Wiki is:

If an operator is selected, the name of the operator will be shown in the client apps instead of the the name of the parking lot area.

True, however that is specific only to using the app Feature to find nearby parking. If you do a search by name or by category you will see the primary name.

Isn't the "Nearby Parking" feature the primary use for PLAs? Sure people might search for PLAs, but the Nearby Parking seems to be more useful. I think at the end of the day, two things need to happen:

1) Guidelines need to be established for when incorporating an Operator makes sense, and when it doesn't. With LAX parking lots being a great example. If I'm driving to LAX and need to find nearby lots, the list of (6) "LAWA"s doesn't help.
2) Somewhere in the Wiki it needs to be made clear that Operator name takes precedent over PLA name when using the Nearby Parking Lots feature.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Great news!
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 pm

JoshJMM wrote:
PesachZ wrote:This has been discussed at length in the last few pages of this thread. There was concern with the wiki contradicting the native tooltip in WME. We have submitted updated text for the tooltip which is already live in WME production, for the en_US language. With this in mind I want to revisit getting this info added to the wiki page.

So that is the whole problem then. I go to the Wiki for official guidance, I never check the forums for Official Guidance. The tool tip in the editor is good for telling what the Check Box does, but it does not give official guidance.

Agreed. The wiki needs to remain up to date!
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby bgodette » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:27 pm

sketch wrote:
herrchin wrote:PLA's being included in general search results seems to be a side-effect, not necessarily a planned feature by Waze? They could just as easily exclude them as they included them?

Search searches all places, so no, it is not just as easy. A mechanism would have to be developed to exclude certain place types/categories from search.
They already do this for RPPs that were converted from other types and had a name given to them. The name is still part of the venue data, it's just not searchable.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bretmcvey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Given the current options for Parking Lot (PLA) types in WME, a new wrinkle is presents itself.

Waze Guidance built into WME regarding PLAs
Public - Unrestricted public access
Restricted - Some lot restrictions apply (customers, visitors, patrons, etc.)
Private - Only accessible to a specified group (residents, employees, etc.)

Based on the definitions above and how the app currently handles suggested Parking Lots, a Restricted or Private lot will not be suggested when searching for a venue. The Restricted/Private Lots do show up though using a direct name search.

There may not be a benefit to using the business name for the PLA if they won't be visible as a suggested option. We ultimately need to know more about if/how these Restricted/Private PLAs will be visible in the app in the future.

Of the current presented naming options, I'm more inclined towards the "[Parking descriptor] - [Business served]" approach. I favor it more than using "[P] - Business served" or the version using the emoji since they look too redundant next to the blue circle icon already present in the UI.

Thoughts for Consideration
  • If these Restricted/Private PLAs remain hidden are we better served to keep all PLAs listed as Public and apply an agreed upon naming convention?
  • If we keep the lot type as Restricted/Private for a PLA, would using just the Parking Descriptor suffice for naming? Lots named "Customer Parking" or "Staff Parking" would be less likely to trigger the Google auto-linking that happens very aggressively when we utilize the business served in the name.
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
[ img ]
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bretmcvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I would much rather use the PLA types rather than over complicate the naming by adding in restricted designations.

The key issue is that Restricted and Private Lots won't appear as suggested parking. If we are consistent in using the types will the loss of seeing those lots be a problem?

I've been on the fence about this as I have zoo and college campus with specific lots that would either be Reserved or Private in nature, but it looks better to search for the venues as a destination and see the parking options available via suggested offerings.

It may not be as big of an issue with single business or strip mall lots. You're typically parking in area adjacent the entrance, but depending on how lots are established nearby we could have odd suggestions. Do I want to see a suggested parking garage if I'm searching for a fast food place or would it be better to keep the fast food lot set as public so it's more likely to be displayed as my closest parking option?

Definitely needs to be discussed further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ img ]
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bretmcvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Given the present conditions, that sounds like as good a plan as any for the handling of PLA type usage.
[ img ]
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion