[New Page] Service Roads  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs, MapSir, USA Champs

[New Page] Service Roads  Topic is solved

Postby subs5 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:57 pm

To prevent routing errors onto and off of a service road and to properly route to an address on the Service Road that is not accessible from the main road, I propose the following wazeopedia:

Service Roads and Frontage Roads.

Please post comments or improvements here and to make the necessary edits on the draft page.


2/14/17 changed from wiki to wazeopedia on the link
2/21/17 fixed typo in the wazeopedia so now on subs5 page (vice sub5)
Last edited by subs5 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby Kartografer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 am

It would be good to have a wiki on this. I would revise the first section to start with something like "Service and frontage roads often cause routing problems, such as..." Then de-personalize the UR quotes to sound more encyclopedic

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Westerville, Ohio, USA
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby subs5 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:46 am

done
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby t0cableguy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 am

This will be a great addition to the wiki,

at the end of item 3 for the first section the information ends abruptly. I think it got pulled into item 4.

I think the house numbers on frontage roads needs some photos or bullet/numbered lists to outline the steps clearly. The information is there, it just feels like a runon sentence.


Are you going to touch on FC types for frontage roads or leave that to regional discretion? I know the one's I have set up are Primary Street at this time.
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@
t0cableguy
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 pm
Location: Lake Wales, FL, USA
Has thanked: 316 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby subs5 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm

t0cableguy wrote:at the end of item 3 for the first section the information ends abruptly. I think it got pulled into item 4.


Fixed, thanks

t0cableguy wrote:I think the house numbers on frontage roads needs some photos or bullet/numbered lists to outline the steps clearly. The information is there, it just feels like a runon sentence.

Done

t0cableguy wrote:Are you going to touch on FC types for frontage roads or leave that to regional discretion? I know the one's I have set up are Primary Street at this time.

No I figure the it best to defer to the current FC guidance, which is satisfactory.
We have Service Roads that are officially minor Highways in Northern VA. So the Street, Primary Street, and minor Highways are all legitimate FC. Figure somewhere there might be a MH Service Road for a Freeway, so will stay out of that for now.
Last edited by subs5 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby abc1357 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:28 pm

subs5 wrote:No I figure the it best to defer to the current FC guidance, which is satisfactory.
We have Service Roads that are officially minor Highways in Northern VA. So the Street, Primary Street, and minor Highways are all legitimate FC. Figure somewhere there might be a MH Service Road, so will stay out of that for now.


Does it make sense to distinguish between a service road and a frontage road in this particular instance? I feel that a frontage road is specifically used for routing to/from an address on that frontage road and should not be used for through routing. From the BDP Wiki, it states five criteria must all be met to trigger the detour evaluation. One of the criteria is Road Type Discontinuity. If we kept the frontage road the same FC Type as the Main road, this would not trigger BDP and could possibly allow a route through the frontage road, especially if the main road is congested. Therefore, my recommendation is to have at least one segment of the frontage road be a Private Road to penalize through routing.
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby subs5 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:35 pm

abc1357 wrote:Does it make sense to distinguish between a service road and a frontage road in this particular instance? I feel that a frontage road is specifically used for routing to/from an address on that frontage road and should not be used for through routing. From the BDP Wiki, it states five criteria must all be met to trigger the detour evaluation. One of the criteria is Road Type Discontinuity. If we kept the frontage road the same FC Type as the Main road, this would not trigger BDP and could possibly allow a route through the frontage road, especially if the main road is congested. Therefore, my recommendation is to have at least one segment of the frontage road be a Private Road to penalize through routing.


This proposal is telling people how to set up the Service Road/Frontage Road making sure that there are NO segments that have the Main Street's name as primary or alternate and how to move the House Numbers.
I am not proposing to change the FC. If the road was already FC'd properly then they would not trigger BDP. That is why I deferred to the FC pages. I am not familar with any service road or frontage road that is the same FC as the main road. Most are one to three FCs below.
I will clarify this by adding a reminder to check the appropriate FC and that a service road or a frontage road is a lower FC class than the main road.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby abc1357 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks. I misunderstood you. I had thought that you had recommended that we keep the frontage/service road the same FC class as the main road. Putting in a reminder for someone to check the proper FC type in the solutions section should help.
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby abc1357 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:23 pm

New question: what is the guidance if there is no official FC for that frontage road?

Should we defer to regional discretion as t0cableguy mentions or should we guide that it must be at least 1 FC type lower (e.g. if Main road is MH, then Frontage/Service road could be mH, PS, S, PLR or PR; if main road is mH, then Frontage/Service road could be PS, S, PLR or PR; ...) with the additional guidance that if the Main road is Street type, then Frontage/Service road should be PR or PLR?
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: [New Page] Service Roads

Postby subs5 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 am

abc1357 wrote:New question: what is the guidance if there is no official FC for that frontage road?

Should we defer to regional discretion as t0cableguy mentions or should we guide that it must be at least 1 FC type lower (e.g. if Main road is MH, then Frontage/Service road could be mH, PS, S, PLR or PR; if main road is mH, then Frontage/Service road could be PS, S, PLR or PR; ...) with the additional guidance that if the Main road is Street type, then Frontage/Service road should be PR or PLR?


You need to give specifics since many places have the FC listed by their DOT. Also this should be in a new topic and not in wiki about the service roads.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ldriveskier