Difficult turns guidance

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This page has been drafted between subs5 and myself: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:AlanOfT ... cult_Turns

It will likely be inserted in parts into the Partial Restrictions wiki page.

Please comment here, edit the original page as you see fit. I plan to make this go-live ASAP.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
FzNk wrote:changes.

Regarding the statement, "In Waze, a Difficult Turn (DT) adds a penalty on that particular turn for a majority of the day." Is it correct that a DT is not active 24/7?
I am not sure. I don't think it is all day. But I am not sure what the exact details are ...
I'm hearing from phantomsoul and DrNeubie it's a 24/7 penalty.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Not enabled on my phone but I have heard too many reports of it being enabled on editors phones for this to be a coincidence.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
itzwolf wrote:I made two minor edits based on the go head to make edits as we saw fit, I hope this was OK.
Those rewordings look good.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FzNk wrote:changes.

Regarding the statement, "In Waze, a Difficult Turn (DT) adds a penalty on that particular turn for a majority of the day." Is it correct that a DT is not active 24/7?
I am not sure. I don't think it is all day. But I am not sure what the exact details are ...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by DrNeubie
Difficult turns are a 24/7 penalty currently. At some point in the future they may become "smarter" and be adjusted based on times / traffic but that is not a current feature. It places a high penalty on the turn; for all intents and purposes right now it functions similar to a red arrow or a 24/7 TBTR.
DrNeubie
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
It appears that, as of 22 May, some parts of the draft guidance proposed here were incorporated into a subset of the Partial Restrictions wiki article as anticipated by the original poster. Further, it appears that there is no intention to maintain the draft guidance page any further.

Here is the thread regarding the transition.

For clarity I have added a warning box to the draft guidance indicating that it is no longer maintained and providing a link to the current Partial Restrictions page.

I would recommend that no further discussion of the Difficult Turn feature take place here, and instead go into the above-linked thread regarding Partial Restrictions.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by FzNk
I've made a couple mainly grammatical changes.

FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by hawkeygoal
It is mentioned that a single UR does not likely justify a DT, particularly if handled by a visiting editor. We have the MC feature, why not leverage it? Perhaps a procedure section such as this might help in the process (this is completely arbitrary, sloppy, and open to complete destruction :D ).

DT Consideration Process
When a potential turn has been identified for consideration for a DT, the following process should be undertaken before implementing the setting:
  • Create an area MC covering the intersection for the consideration of the DT and set the expiration for six months from the date of creation
  • Add information regarding the initial report in a comment
  • Each subsequent report should be added as a new comment with reasons from URs
  • After 4 reports have been tallied, local managers should review the turn before it is implemented
Or suggest local leaders develop their own process using a few bullet points as a guide.
hawkeygoal
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by itzwolf
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This page has been drafted between subs5 and myself: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:AlanOfT ... cult_Turns

It will likely be inserted in parts into the Partial Restrictions wiki page.

Please comment here, edit the original page as you see fit. I plan to make this go-live ASAP.
Alan,

I made two minor edits based on the go head to make edits as we saw fit, I hope this was OK.

First is under "When to Use a Difficult Turn"

From "A turn where there have several Update Requests (URs) complaining about the difficulty of the turn or that it is not safe. (One UR does not a DT make for an intersection that editor is not familiar with the situation)"

To "A turn where there have been several Update Requests (URs) complaining about the difficulty of the turn or that it is not safe. (One UR does not justify setting a DT for an intersection when an editor is not familiar with the situation.)"

Second was under "When to Remove a Difficult Turn"

From "If there are are several URs that report a missing turn or that a route where that has a DT is faster, then the penalty of the DT appears to be causing more routing problems than it fixed. The applicable DT should be removed."

To: "If there are several URs that report a missing turn or that a route where a DT has been set is faster, then the penalty of the DT appears to be causing more routing problems than it fixed. The applicable DT should be removed."

- Brandon
itzwolf
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message