Post by ojlaw
hey there, i'm having difficulty with some of the grammar/ punctuation.
Full continuity - All segments of the Alternate route must have both name and type continuity with the segment immediately before and the segment immediately after the possible detour - the most resource-intensive continuity check. Reportedly, has been implemented from time to time.
the sentence "Reportedly, has been implemented from time to time." has no subject(unless you intended reportedly to be the subject). is full continuity implemented time to time or is the most resource-intensive continuity check implemented time to time?

also that statement is very vague. words like "reportedly" and "time to time" makes it seem like the importance of full continuity is unknown. i don't know about other editors but i look to the wazeopedia for clarification and absolute guidance. this kind of muddies the water.
If the first segment after the possible detour is the beginning of a freeway or highway then the first segment and, thus, can only be accessed from ramps or segments of a different road type group, then there can be no direct route according to the criteria above.
i'm having a real hard time with extra commas and possibly extra words(and/ thus). is "and" or "thus" necessary here? "...then the first segment and, thus, can only be" maybe this is what is trying to be conveyed?-
"If the first segment after the possible detour is the beginning of a freeway or highway and this first segment can only be accessed from ramps or segments of a different road type group, then there can be no direct route according to the criteria above."

thanks so much for working on this and bringing clarity to a difficult topic!
ojlaw
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by PesachZ
I can give more detail later, but your edit is basically correct dwarflord. In that the threshold is set by the road you are leaving from/returning to. But if the detour itself is longer than the threshold it will not be penalized. However the actual ETA for such a convoluted route is usually longer than the direct+penalty eta meaning it isn't usually offered as an option to users.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by PesachZ
DwarfLord wrote:This is wonderfully helpful, thanks.

But another quirk would seem to lurk...

Extending the example, let's say a lightly traveled Minor Highway is completely blocked by a washout, but there is relatively little traffic backup. Let's say further that Waze finds two routes to bypass the washout that leave the mH and then return to it. One alternate route is 350 m long, the other is 4 km long, but both depart the mH and return to the mH at the same junctions.

Because the penalty is applied to the length of the detour, not the length of the direct route, the 350-m detour will be slapped with a ~4-min penalty. The 4-km detour will not.

If the speed on the 4-km route is 45 mph -- 1.2 km per minute -- then the 4-km detour will take 3.3 minutes, which would not be enough to overcome the penalty on the shorter route.

Waze will therefore offer the 4-km detour but not the 350-m detour, unnecessarily adding about 3 minutes to the bypass route. Right?

[EDIT: I originally concluded by admitting this to be a contrived example. However on reflection, we had something similar in the Santa Cruz Mountains last winter. The principle highway linking Santa Cruz and San Jose was covered with a mudslide several times; in one event the slide was considered too unstable to clear safely and the road was closed for days. Waze tried desperately to route people around the slide. Nearly all such bypass routes would have been subject to the detour-length penalty issue. For a indication of what washouts in our mountains can look like, see .]
If the direct route is blocked, restricted or marked with an RTC then it will not be considered a direct route since it will not directly connect both sides when the routing iterates through it. This will therefore cancel BDP entirely for this section. This is newish and went I to effect after the issue you quote due to several reports of bad implementation. It is not yet documented since we don't have all the parameters yet.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by tonestertm
Quick note: need to remove references to Shortest route, since this has been removed from the app.

I'll have more to say on this page in the near future. (not intending to sound ominous)
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by tonestertm
dBsooner wrote:Changes have been made to the draft Voludu2 has been working on. It is hosted on their user page here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... Mechanisms.

The primary changes:
  • Overall:
    • Changed the definition of "BDP" to be consistent throughout as "big detour prevention" and used "big detour prevention (BDP) penalty" where applicable.
  • Criteria:
    • Updated to reflect the latest changes, based on testing conducted by Kartografer, with input from PesachZ
    • Wording has been clarified and a flowchart added - please comment on how understandable the latest version is.
    • Added the term bracketing segments to define the segments immediately before and immediately after a detour. This term is used in the criteria section as well as the flowchart. Note: this term is confined to BDP only and is not intended for overall glossary inclusion.
Primarily all changes are within the Criteria section. This is the section we are looking for feedback on. The "Notes" section and SDP (small detour prevention) have not been updated at this time and do not need feedback.
My first comments, on a quick read:
1) This is, so far, big steps forward. Nice work!
2) I would very much prefer calling a "preventable detour" a "penalized detour", in order to further enforce the concept that BDP is not, strictly, detour *prevention*, rather, detour **discouragement**. I realize that naming was done in an effort for consistency, but I'll vote for most opportunities to un-confuse people. The usage, elsewhere in the page, of the word, "penalty" is a huge step in the right direction, but some people have a tendency to read right past things like that, when not called out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by voludu2
I am seeking to clarify the Big Detour Criteria a bit, and incorporate the latest information we have about all criteria which are or can be public knowledge.

Please help me improve this draft:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/User:Voludu2/Detour_Prevention_Mechanisms#Big_Detours
Because I reordered the list to put all the criteria having to do with the possible detour path together, the new numbering is entirely different than the numbering referenced below, and found in the current version https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Detour_Prevention_Mechanisms#Big_Detours

Here is information I have gleaned recently:
PesachZ wrote: If the direct route is blocked, restricted or marked with an RTC then it will not be considered a direct route since it will not directly connect both sides when the routing iterates through it. This will therefore cancel BDP entirely for this section. This is newish and went I to effect after the issue you quote due to several reports of bad implementation. It is not yet documented since we don't have all the parameters yet.
PesachZ wrote:Discord, Waze USA, #routing, 09/28/2017
3.1 means that there are two completely distinct ways of getting from the before segment to the after segment. 3.2 means that the first segment after the divergent paths merge must be accessible from another segment of the Sam road type group. This other segment can be part of the direct path, or part of a different path or even a stub. Essentially it is checking that the first merged segment is not the terminus of a fwy. @voludu2 (5) CM(edited)
just to be clear rule 3 (3.1 & 3.2) are referring to the direct path (which is an alternate path to the possible detour) and not to to the possible detour itself
However I'm pretty certain there's been a change made since this was written which i don't have the hard facts on 100% which revokes The BDP mechanism does not determine that there is actually a direct route with name and type continuity, but rather only uses the above two criteria.. i believe we now need a 3.1.1 this direct path must not be itself a detour (it must match name and road type group for all segments with the segments before and after the possible detour).
Discord, Waze USA, #routing, 09/28/2017
voludu2 (5) CM - 09/29/2017 @PesachZ (6) Thanks for the clarification. I would like to work on rewriting 3.1 to make clear that it specifies another path that has no segments in common with the possible detour under consideration, as well as the change to the update. I'll post something on the forum. After that, I will return to clarifying 3.2 to make clear that it can be satisfied by a segment that is not part of the "direct path" being tested in 3.1
PesachZ (6) - 09/29/2017 One caveat although that used to be true for 3.2, with the update to 3.1 requiring a type match for the direct path, it by default will satisfy 3.2 with the direct path as well. @voludu2 (5) CM
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think it is always useful to know what the current status of these checks is.
But it is probably impossible to keep the wiki page up-to-date with these changes.

Would it be a good idea to change the approach a little bit:
1) List the checks that we are almost certain are not going to change frequently -
Like if the continuity check for a Detour is actually "there must not be name continuity between the last segment of the possible detour and the first segment after". Even if the check becomes temporarily more stringent, this test is still satisfied. If the waze team says the test is going to become permanently more stringent, then this could be updated

2) A Note that additional / more stringent checks that may be implemented and removed from time to time - and where interested editors can go for more current information and discussion about BDP. If there is an active BDP testing team, then this team might be willing to share the current and past results of their testing somewhere, whether it be a supplementary wiki page or a google doc. In a sense, results of testing are more reliable because we don't have to be concerned about whether waze team confirms them or whether waze team wants to share information about how they implement their tests. The only thing that matters in supplementary information about BDP testing is the information about the experimental design and the results of the tests.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Please try this on for size

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... Mechanisms

A) I moved the requirement for last segment before and first segment after the possible detour to match OUT OF the definition of a detour - the list item Segments before and after the possible detour might need a new title. Suggestions welcome.
B) Under Alsternate route, I stated that there is a continuity check, but made clear that we are never sure which continuity check is being used. I list all 3 continuity checks that our champs have suggested might have been in effect at one time or another, and make clear we never know which one is in effect at any given time.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thanks for fixing typos.
Thanks for fixing the typo. Switching from caps to bold makes sense to me.

I guess I missed the part where staff confirmed that the BDP algorithm is currently doing the most strenuous continuity check. If that is the case, and if that is expected to be the case going forward, then it will make sense to drop the references to the other two less-strenuous checks.

Other than that, do you think the three list headings make sense? The second and third are "definition of" but the first one does not follow that pattern. I'm not sure what term I ought to be defining there!
voludu2
Send a message