[New Page] Places/Airport

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [New Page] Places/Airport

Postby juliansean » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm

I’m all for it. Let’s get it published. Thanks for following up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Julian
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:18 am

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Julian
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:26 pm

As a pilot, Waze user, and editor, I use Waze to get to many airports. I never search the category Airport, but I do search for the FAA/IATA/name of the airport. But, what I have found in my times of going to unfamiliar airports is that having the AP show on the Waze navigation app tells me I'm close and need to start looking for where I need to turn in. We try our best as editors to update the stop points, but we all know that doesn't happen all the time. Having the AP lets me as a driver know I'm close and start reading signs or looking for what could be an entrance instead of following the app. Where does this happen the most --- small, private or semi private strips that have very little signage. Most airports aren't like SFO or ORD with plenty of signage. It's one small green sign saying turn left. Then, next thing you know there's an airport. I would like to keep airports (if I can land a plane there I want my wife to be able to come get me) left as AP until we have 100% of the stop points correct. I suspect that will never happen.

Thank you,

Sean
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but two quick examples. 9X1 airport in Texas. It is privately owned. There is one small business there that doesn't do a whole lot of advertising. It's in the woods off the main road. It does have an identifier, but that's about all it has. https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env=usa&lon=-95.32312&lat=30.15228&zoom=4&venues=173474094.1734609863.167963 9X1 had it's stop point on SH-99 W. https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env=usa&lon=-95.32669&lat=30.14261&zoom=4&segments=502891986. Because there was an AP, I was able to see on the app that I was not heading to where the airport was. I had to figure out how to get to the airport. With no AP, I would have had to go home, get on google earth or something, and find where the actual entrance was. The AP allowed me to make it to my destination. Obviously, that night I fixed the stop point.

Pine Mountain Lake Airport is a fly-in community. But, they have regular fly-ins there so, having it on the map, is good for Waze, because people drive and fly into that community. https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env=usa&lon=-120.18067&lat=37.86057&zoom=5&venues=157155707.1571688138.339176. So, just to say it's a fly in community, should not be the sole reason to make it runway only.
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:22 pm

I would like to see all the hangars and public parking spaces included in that AP. Give the biggest fingerprint we can for the app.

Sean
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:34 am

I'm sorry that you feel disillusioned. But, the app should be for everyone. Not just non-pilots. If a strip is not there, it shouldn't be mapped. But, if it is there, it should. If I am a private pilot and I search for an airport I want to go to a place where I can go see planes. Should I be removed from using Waze because I don't just search for our regional airports? Of course not. The idea of Waze is to be used by all. I think we have all agreed with the idea, if there is an FAA identifier, someone has taken the time to make sure that airport qualifies as an airport. And, if that airport doesn't actually exist, it's our job as editors to remove it from the map. Like the McDonald's example above. It has to actually be there to count. But, if it's there, we add it. My 2 cents.

Sean
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I support this as well. Glad we could work it out.

Sean
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:17 pm

If I'm following correctly, this really boils down to how our RC/ARC feel about AP's. In one area, having a little more depth to the app is our new marching orders. In other places, the app is overcrowded, so as few AP's as possible. But, what I don't understand is, if a person searches for an airport in the middle of nowhere are they really expecting a Chicago ORD some 300 miles away, or are they expecting a general aviation airport? I would venture they are expecting a general aviation airport. So, while I agree that a purely private strip, made by Joe Bob for his Ag-Cat (https://www.flickr.com/photos/captrh/17484984785) is not a benefit to the general public, most other airports are in fact useful. And, I think airports should be area points, unless certain regions want to add to their wiki that airports of certain types should be PP's. Every region has their own wiki. So, if the RC/ARC wants to deviate from the standard, that's the place to do it.

Respectfully,

Sean
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

[New Page] Places/Airport

Postby Kartografer » Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Turns out if there was a page on airports, no one can find it. So I took some stuff from this discussion back in the day and wrote up a draft page, incorporating some new features that were not around back in 2014. It is interesting how many different ways airports are mapped and named in this country, from the area (or lack thereof) to the terminals and other places within. Anyhow, thought it would be good to have a standard method, and this is my attempt, with input from others, to define that. Note that this is a page on places, not roads or runways. All comments are welcome!
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks Kent. I like that section and will add it next time I get a chance. I think I should also add a caveat that this applies to civilian airports only since military airfields are covered under the military bases article. I put in an additional alt name case for airports managed by an FBO. I think that's common with small general aviation airports; figured since the FBO is basically the terminal it should be combined with the airport place, but idk. I will also give more alt name examples

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion