[NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby ldriveskier » Wed May 10, 2017 1:29 am

We use crossover reconfiguration quite a bit with construction, so this page is meant to try to describe how to do it. This page may or may not be a standalone page, but I'm not sure where it would best fit. This is my first attempt at writing a US Wiki Page, so please be generous with the poison darts. :lol:

Thanks to buckeyemondo for helping me draft the page.


ETA: new location of page (since I renamed it): https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/User:Ldriveskier/Contraflow_Configuration
Last edited by ldriveskier on Wed May 10, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio, United States
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Crossovers

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:38 am

Formatting wise it looks like it meets all the basic requirements, so congrats on that step.

Posting in this forum is exactly how we determine where it should go.

I didn't read through your page yet, but I'm sure we will get lots of feedback over the next few days.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1787 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Crossovers

Postby sketch » Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm

A few notes.

The content looks good, although under Wayfinders the "Tip: Remove any alternative names from the wayfinder to avoid best continuation" is a bit outdated. Guidance should be to use TIOs to ensure proper instructions are given.

General wiki formatting stuff, headings should be in Sentence case.

I have some concerns with the page name, as "Crossover" can also be used for authorized-vehicles-only median crossovers, which are not currently mapped. Maybe a "Crossover (disambiguation)" page would work, but really, your article is about mapping contraflow (not just the crossovers that enable it) and probably should be named as such.

Great idea getting this in the wiki, by the way. I have often considered but never implemented the implementation of hurricane-evacuation contraflow in Waze...
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Nouvelle-Orléans, Louisiane, États-Unis
Has thanked: 2060 times
Been thanked: 2552 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Crossovers

Postby ldriveskier » Wed May 10, 2017 4:55 pm

sketch wrote:A few notes.

The content looks good, although under Wayfinders the "Tip: Remove any alternative names from the wayfinder to avoid best continuation" is a bit outdated. Guidance should be to use TIOs to ensure proper instructions are given.


I removed the tip, but hesitate to add guidance for TIOs since I don't believe they are needed if wayfinders are used properly. I think just leaving it as an exercise to the user to use wayfinders properly should be sufficient.

sketch wrote:General wiki formatting stuff, headings should be in Sentence case.


I'm not sure what you mean by "Sentence case"?

sketch wrote:I have some concerns with the page name, as "Crossover" can also be used for authorized-vehicles-only median crossovers, which are not currently mapped. Maybe a "Crossover (disambiguation)" page would work, but really, your article is about mapping contraflow (not just the crossovers that enable it) and probably should be named as such.


I do agree with this and struggled with wording. I changed the page to remove the use of the word crossover, though am still open to further naming and other wording changes. I also struggled with "configuration" versus "reconfiguration". I freely admit that I'm not the best at wording!

sketch wrote:Great idea getting this in the wiki, by the way. I have often considered but never implemented the implementation of hurricane-evacuation contraflow in Waze...


I love the idea of adding hurricane-evacuation as an instance of when to map Contraflow. I did a bit of revamping of the layout of the page and added a placeholder section for it. I can try to figure out some verbiage for it later if nobody else does. Please feel free to edit the page to add something here and to clean up anything you feel needs it.

And, while I'd love to take credit for the idea of making a wiki page for this, it was suggested by a champ that it would be nice.....(ie, write one, LOL).
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio, United States
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Crossovers

Postby sketch » Wed May 10, 2017 8:56 pm

ldriveskier wrote:I removed the tip, but hesitate to add guidance for TIOs since I don't believe they are needed if wayfinders are used properly. I think just leaving it as an exercise to the user to use wayfinders properly should be sufficient.

At risk of speaking prematurely, the "current" wayfinder guidance in the wiki is outdated now that we have TIOs. To put it bluntly, there is no reason to use name & type tricks to make wayfinders work now that we have TIO. Stubs are still necessary to get proper naming in, but the wayfinder section needs a rewrite. I'll get right on that, I promise...

ldriveskier wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "Sentence case"?

Sentence case is the case in which a sentence is written.
Title Case Is the Case in Which Titles Are Written.

This applies to article titles too—i.e., the title of the article should be "Contraflow configuration" (or perhaps just "Contraflow" is enough, honestly).

This is adopted from Wikipedia guidelines and has only recently been followed in our own wiki. Generally, article titles should be in sentence case and singular.

Regardless, I don't mind helping with formatting (and the hurricane section), but today is not good for me :)

ldriveskier wrote:I do agree with this and struggled with wording. I changed the page to remove the use of the word crossover, though am still open to further naming and other wording changes. I also struggled with "configuration" versus "reconfiguration". I freely admit that I'm not the best at wording!

There is no need to eliminate the word "crossover" entirely, it's okay to call it a "contraflow crossover segment" or similar. To me, "contraflow segment" would be the segment on the other side of the road that's going the wrong way.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Nouvelle-Orléans, Louisiane, États-Unis
Has thanked: 2060 times
Been thanked: 2552 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Agreed with all of Sketch's comments, including the Wiki formatting.

I am working now on compiling all our wiki style guidelines into a single manual for all to enjoy.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1787 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby ldriveskier » Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 am

Thank you both for all of the guidance and suggestions. I make some more updates, both to the formatting and to the wording. I had looked through some of the guidance for wiki pages and looked at others as examples, but clearly missed some of the fine details. I will leave the reference to wayfinders generic with a link to the wiki page with the wayfinder guidance. There is no need to repeat any of it, since then any updates would need to be done in two places (which I know is bad practice).

Also, for the hurricane section, perhaps it could be more generic, like "Emergency evacuation"? Then, list hurricanes along with other types of emergencies as examples (if there are others).

I do appreciate all of the suggestions and help! There is certainly no hurry, so if you'd like to take a crack at it please do so whenever you find a moment and inspiration. :)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio, United States
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby Kartografer » Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Nice job Lisa. At least for me, the biggest problem in mapping contraflow was visualizing how everything worked. I have some images I took from the MUTCD that might be helpful. I also think your thumbnails could be enlarged a bit. I think it might be good to have a section on extending entrance and exit ramps for contraflow too. When I mapped a contraflow near Columbus I saw a bunch of URs, because the whole mainline had a closure along its length, and people were saying "Hey I-70 E isn't closed, it just got shifted." Once we reduced the number of closed segments to only what was necessary people quit freaking out. So perhaps a sentence on setting only the minimum closures required to prevent routing would be good. Lots of work today, but I may have some time tonight to work on the page a bit.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Westerville, Ohio, USA
Has thanked: 538 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby ldriveskier » Thu May 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Kartografer wrote:Nice job Lisa. At least for me, the biggest problem in mapping contraflow was visualizing how everything worked. I have some images I took from the MUTCD that might be helpful. I also think your thumbnails could be enlarged a bit. I think it might be good to have a section on extending entrance and exit ramps for contraflow too. When I mapped a contraflow near Columbus I saw a bunch of URs, because the whole mainline had a closure along its length, and people were saying "Hey I-70 E isn't closed, it just got shifted." Once we reduced the number of closed segments to only what was necessary people quit freaking out. So perhaps a sentence on setting only the minimum closures required to prevent routing would be good. Lots of work today, but I may have some time tonight to work on the page a bit.


That's a good case to add. In the cases I've worked recently that this page stemmed from, the traffic was split between a lane in the regular travel direction and a contraflow lane. I didn't have any closures associated with it. This is where the wayfinders came from. I didn't cover a case where all traffic is shifted. I actually "sort of" have a configuration like that going, but instead of messing with existing exit ramps, l went with a wayfinder split to access the exit then just closed the segment after the exit ramp. It will be less of a mess to put back in the Fall. So, if you have a good case that you can use to describe it, that will be helpful. Thank you!

I enlarged the images, but feel free to play with them. I didn't even know how to do that until you suggested it and I started poking around. :D
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio, United States
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby dchary2418 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 pm

If the road is a divided highway that crosses over and shares one side for construction, we should merely shift the road over for its duration

see here

Dave
dchary2418
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 4:05 am
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mhh60

cron