[NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [NEW PAGE] Contraflow Configuration (was Crossovers)

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:38 pm

dchary2418 wrote:If the road is a divided highway that crosses over and shares one side for construction, we should merely shift the road over for its duration

Agreed. That is a short term / temporary setup. This article should only discuss laying out permanent configurations of this type.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
dchary2418 wrote:If the road is a divided highway that crosses over and shares one side for construction, we should merely shift the road over for its duration

Agreed. That is a short term / temporary setup. This article should only discuss laying out permanent configurations of this type.

If the entire road road crosses over, I agree with shifting it like that. That can be added to the page (as a note or another section?) if you'd like. However, we use crossovers a lot when only one lane is shifted over and another lane remains in the normal travel lanes for construction that will last several months. This can't be done by merely shifting the existing road, but is in no way permanent.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 pm

ldriveskier wrote:we use crossovers a lot when only one lane is shifted over and another lane remains in the normal travel lanes for construction that will last several months.

We had this on I-5 through Stockton for months and it moved up and down the freeway over time as well. I do not believe we ended up changing the roadway, but maybe I am wrong.

I think the only reason to add a new lane headed the opposite direction split from the original side would be to prevent GPS navigation jumps to the wrong segments if the roads are too far apart. Otherwise I would recommend no change and we could cover that in this page to say we are not building out specific contraflow configurations for construction areas. Sometimes the split isolates part of the road from certain exits. Maybe we should say something about that for construction cases.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
ldriveskier wrote:we use crossovers a lot when only one lane is shifted over and another lane remains in the normal travel lanes for construction that will last several months.

We had this on I-5 through Stockton for months and it moved up and down the freeway over time as well. I do not believe we ended up changing the roadway, but maybe I am wrong.

I think the only reason to add a new lane headed the opposite direction split from the original side would be to prevent GPS navigation jumps to the wrong segments if the roads are too far apart. Otherwise I would recommend no change and we could cover that in this page to say we are not building out specific contraflow configurations for construction areas. Sometimes the split isolates part of the road from certain exits. Maybe we should say something about that for construction cases.

I do have some verbiage about the exits and the distance between the two roads in the section about when to map it. I could add more to that if you think it is needed. For the first contraflow I got to map recently, we had a boatload of URs telling us that Waze was "crazy" which stemmed from the lanes being too far apart for GPS. Add the fact that a few exits are missed (including another freeway interchange) and it will be in place for more than six months, that one definitely needed mapped.

Is it worthwhile to add guidance on when not to map them also? I would think we'd be ok with just saying what conditions lead to mapping them, but am open to suggestions on that also.

Thank you for the feedback!
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:27 am

I think my point is all these lane changes during construction is less about contraflow and more about temporary lanes that need to be mapped with the GPS is too far from the original lanes. Maybe we just need something to clarify the difference, but they should be mapped nonetheless.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kartografer » Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm

I added a few images that I think may be helpful. I do think we need some more guidance on when it is ok to not map contraflow.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bz2012 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 am

It looks like what is really needed is an expansion of the real-time-closure feature, adding a 'contraflow' option.

It would be very useful for emergency evacuations during hurricane season and for other situations where contra-flow is called for with little or no notice.

It would make a real time 'temporary' duration reversal of the traffic flow on all selected segments and nodes.

Of course, it may be difficult or impossible to add such a feature to the routing software, but it seems like it is worth asking about the practicality.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: [NEW PAGE] Crossovers

Postby ldriveskier » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:24 pm

sketch wrote:Great idea getting this in the wiki, by the way. I have often considered but never implemented the implementation of hurricane-evacuation contraflow in Waze...

Sketch,

You had offered to help with the hurricane-evacuation portion of this WOP. Given the fact that hurricane season is upon us, do you think you could find time to work on that section?

Thank you!
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 pm

I need to gather information and report to staff on this first. The tile update schedule is so unpredictable and the decision to activate contraflow so fast-moving that it might not be feasible unless something is permanently built into the map lying in wait, but we don't have any mechanism for that. So, I don't know yet.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 am

No worries, I'll let it sit a while longer. I have others interested in contributing content to this page and had started drafting their own also, so hopefully they chime in here. At some point, we can consider moving forward without the evacuation part and add it later when you have more information. Thank you!
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion