[Page Update] Editing restrictions

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Editing restrictions

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

One other thing, should the page title be Editing restriction or Editing restrictions
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I am leaning toward simplicity.

Just notating to make sure that all Turn Restrictions when connecting to a junction node are set correctly, you may need to follow unlock procedure to manipulate TR from the locked segment to the unlocked segments.

I am not good with the wording so if you have an idea of what my thought is then word it properly. :D
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Works for me
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

[Page Update] Editing restrictions

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I have completed the update on Editing restrictions in this temporary user space.

It includes a lot of modifications, additions from other sections, new content previously undocumented, and feedback from the US Wazeopedia GHO.

I will update this page to use the {{Rank}} template once I complete that work.

Since this was a major overhaul of this page, I would appreciate a few more detailed reviewers than we typically give to page updates. Any comments or feedback is welcome.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm

jm6087 wrote:
    Areas in which you are the Area Manager, a privilege you can request if you are at least rank 3. You can edit your assigned area, even if you have not driven a road nearby recently.
I don't think I would reference rank 3, some AMs have been given to rank 2. Depends on RC and ability.

After a certain period of time, these drives expire. They may still show in your drives list, but Waze will no longer remember the drive details, and the editing area will be removed, unless there is a more recent drive.
I believe the edit area will stay active for the 90 days but the drive may or may not be in drive list with details.

I had not reviewed this section mainly because it is a template used in other pages. However, since there are errors as you noted, I will make the updates.

I agree with the 90 days. It is already in the {{:Editable area/DriveExpiration}} template so I will add it and make the other noted adjustments.

jm6087 wrote:
    Editors with rank 5 or 6 can edit 100% of the roads in their editable area.
Not accurate, if a segment is locked to 6 then a rank 5 can't edit it without an unlock. Not sure if it is worth removing or modifying because by the time a person is rank 5 they are well aware of the lock rules.

Good catch. I had ignored this traffic lock section since we don't have it active, but I will update this error as noted for clarity.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:52 pm

jm6087 wrote:edited: Looks like it actually holds the drive details for 90 days down to the minute.

I made the edits between seeing your comment here.

Can you review my changes now made to that section and see if it works OK for you based on this? I think we are OK to separate the Editable area from the prior drives tab, but if you think otherwise we can reword or return it to the original:
After a certain period of time, these drives expire. They may still show in your drives list, but Waze will no longer remember the drive details, and the editing area will be removed, unless there is a more recent drive.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Great feedback!
ldriveskier wrote:Under the "Editable Area" section,
An editable driving area will expire 90 days from date of the drive OR the last day of the month, whichever is LATER.

Done.

ldriveskier wrote:There is verbiage on the linked Area Manager page that AM expires after 90 days of inactivity, but I have seen AM active for editors that haven't edited at all in much longer time frames than that. I know you didn't include this on your page (which is fine since it should only be in one place), but since you talk about area management in this same section I thought it was worth bringing up.

The wording on that appears to be unrelated to driving area expiration. I believe I recall that section being more of a "rule of thumb" that area managers should expect to loose their areas without activity, but the management team would make the actual cut based on a number of factors.

However, since you brought it up here, I think I can easily justify an alternate wording to make it more clear. I have updated it with the following to keep the 90 day answer, but allow for why the real time might be longer:
Note that Area Manager appointments expire after 90 days of inactivity, but can be extended by contacting the appropriate [[RC]].

-----
ldriveskier wrote:Under the "Segment Lock" section, you write:
In addition to the lock rank, the segment must also be fully included in one of your editable areas discussed above to be editable

This is not true. As long as a tiny bit of a segment is in your EA, you can edit the entire segment.

The section under "Place Lock" is also not true (although only applies to an area place):
In addition to the lock rank, the place must also be fully included in one of your editable areas discussed above to be editable from WME.

Interesting. This was an issue (maybe years ago) when I was a lower ranked editor. I constantly hit the issue where editing a segment that ended outside my area was uneditable. If you can confirm you have direct knowledge this is no longer true and if ANY part of a segment is inside your area you can edit any of it, I will make the change.

For (area) places, I only assumed it was the same as for segments, so again if you have direct knowledge that if ANY part of an area place is inside your area, that you can edit it, I will make the change (and clarify this is only relevant to area places.

ldriveskier wrote:One more thing that wasn't clear was PURs. You mention under the "Lock Rank" section that "Editing an object requires the lock rank of that object be equal to or less than the rank of the editor.". For Places, any editor can edit any Place, but if it is locked above their editor rank it goes into a PUR and must be approved by an editor of sufficient rank for that Place before it goes into affect. I'm not sure of the best way to incorporate it into the page, but it should be made clearer.

Understood. I think we need to be more clear in this section that there are edits in the form of 1) App submitted changes and 2) from inside WME.

Correct me if I am wrong, but inside WME, an editor with a rank below the lock rank of a place has no ability to edit the place. However, from the app, they could submit a PUR requiring the appropriate moderator rank to be at or above the place lock rank. Or does WME somehow enable the user to submit the change as a PUR when they hit save?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 am

Good to know. I'll make these updates later tonight.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:15 am

All updates are entered (as far as I can tell). I have published the draft page to the public page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 am

jm6087 wrote:
Promotional staff locks
At times, some places will be associated with promotional efforts by the company through Waze. Depending upon what kind of promotion may be in effect, some or all of the related places may be locked by Waze staff, preventing any direct modifications from any editor rank. However, suggested updates can still be submitted through the client app or the Waze Map Editor, but they will require staff level moderation (approvals).

Done

jm6087 wrote:
Even when a segment is locked, the editor can still perform the following:

Attach a segment to the junction node at either end of the locked segment.
Change the turn restrictions from other segments into the locked segment.

Maybe add note about still recommend getting assistance with the locked segment because the connection will most likely not be complete

What is incomplete? I ran a quick test using an RTC as something locking a segment above my rank. All the conditions matched the segment lock effects for being locked above my rank. I easily added the junctions to the end of the segment and set the turn restrictions as needed. The turns from the locked segment were already enabled, but I could disable them from the segment locked by the JB. Maybe someone can confirm that a segment directly locked above their rank (not by RTC or JB) does not permit setting turn restrictions from the end of a locked segment after it is joined by a new segment at its end.

jm6087 wrote:Looks great Kent, thanks for doing a fantastic job.

No problem. It's my OCD that drives me to do it. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion