[Page Update] Editing restrictions

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Editing restrictions

Postby ehepner1977 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:25 pm

I can confirm, an edit to a place locked above an editor's rank will generate a PUR for approval by an editor of the appropriate rank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Sun May 28, 2017 7:55 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Great feedback!
ldriveskier wrote:Under the "Segment Lock" section, you write:
In addition to the lock rank, the segment must also be fully included in one of your editable areas discussed above to be editable

This is not true. As long as a tiny bit of a segment is in your EA, you can edit the entire segment.

The section under "Place Lock" is also not true (although only applies to an area place):
In addition to the lock rank, the place must also be fully included in one of your editable areas discussed above to be editable from WME.

Interesting. This was an issue (maybe years ago) when I was a lower ranked editor. I constantly hit the issue where editing a segment that ended outside my area was uneditable. If you can confirm you have direct knowledge this is no longer true and if ANY part of a segment is inside your area you can edit any of it, I will make the change.

I can 100% verify it and have done it many times at the edges of my driving area and AM area.

kentsmith9 wrote:For (area) places, I only assumed it was the same as for segments, so again if you have direct knowledge that if ANY part of an area place is inside your area, that you can edit it, I will make the change (and clarify this is only relevant to area places.

I can also verify this. As long as one node is in your own EA (even if it is miles away), you can edit the rest of the area place or create a new area place.

I guess this is a "benefit" of being a lower ranked editor with limited EA. I know exactly what I can get away with. :lol:

Thank you to jm6087 and ehepner1977 who addressed the other parts in the posts just before this one.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 am

Good to know. I'll make these updates later tonight.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:15 am

All updates are entered (as far as I can tell). I have published the draft page to the public page.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 am

My input,
Promotional staff locks
At times, some places will be associated with promotional efforts by the company through Waze. Depending upon what kind of promotion may be in effect, some or all of the related places may be locked by Waze staff, preventing any direct modifications from any editor rank. However, suggested updates can still be submitted through the client app or the Waze Map Editor, but they will require staff level moderation (approvals).

Even when a segment is locked, the editor can still perform the following:

Attach a segment to the junction node at either end of the locked segment.
Change the turn restrictions from other segments into the locked segment.

Maybe add note about still recommend getting assistance with the locked segment because the connection will most likely not be complete

Looks great Kent, thanks for doing a fantastic job.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 am

jm6087 wrote:
Promotional staff locks
At times, some places will be associated with promotional efforts by the company through Waze. Depending upon what kind of promotion may be in effect, some or all of the related places may be locked by Waze staff, preventing any direct modifications from any editor rank. However, suggested updates can still be submitted through the client app or the Waze Map Editor, but they will require staff level moderation (approvals).

Done

jm6087 wrote:
Even when a segment is locked, the editor can still perform the following:

Attach a segment to the junction node at either end of the locked segment.
Change the turn restrictions from other segments into the locked segment.

Maybe add note about still recommend getting assistance with the locked segment because the connection will most likely not be complete

What is incomplete? I ran a quick test using an RTC as something locking a segment above my rank. All the conditions matched the segment lock effects for being locked above my rank. I easily added the junctions to the end of the segment and set the turn restrictions as needed. The turns from the locked segment were already enabled, but I could disable them from the segment locked by the JB. Maybe someone can confirm that a segment directly locked above their rank (not by RTC or JB) does not permit setting turn restrictions from the end of a locked segment after it is joined by a new segment at its end.

jm6087 wrote:Looks great Kent, thanks for doing a fantastic job.

No problem. It's my OCD that drives me to do it. :mrgreen:

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby abc1357 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:18 am

I recommend we change the first sentence in the Recent Drives section:
Waze records your drives when it is operating with or without navigating to a destination.
to the following:
Waze records your drives when it is operating with or without navigating to a destination while your device has constant GPS and GSM/3G/4G network connectivity.
The additional text was retrieved from this Waze help page.

Do you want to name the violation camera a tracked camera instead and point it to the appropriate section of the Wazopedia? Also, the picture in the pop-up is not a violation type camera, it's a traffic camera based on the visuals in the Cameras Wazopedia page.

The permalink in the Requesting Changes section triggered this warning from the Fix UI script I use: You have opened a permalink with 3 segments, but the total selected in WME is 2. The permalink may contain segments not selectable at this zoom or not visible on-screen, or some segment IDs may have been changed the permalink was created. Removing the first segment 77835875 resolves this. The new permalink is https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?zoom ... 8,77835812

To be more gender neutral, I recommend that we adopt the singular they (maybe that needs to go into the main style guide).
There are 3 instances:
  • 2 instances of he or she that should change to they.
  • The 3rd bullet in the responding editor to change request section should be changed to:
    The responding editor can figure out the correct action to take (change lock rank so you can make the edit, apply the edit themselves directly, ask for more information, ask for more evidence, do more research, or deny the request).

Yes, I have extreme OCD also. :D
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

kentsmith9 wrote:What is incomplete? I ran a quick test using an RTC as something locking a segment above my rank. All the conditions matched the segment lock effects for being locked above my rank. I easily added the junctions to the end of the segment and set the turn restrictions as needed. The turns from the locked segment were already enabled, but I could disable them from the segment locked by the JB. Maybe someone can confirm that a segment directly locked above their rank (not by RTC or JB) does not permit setting turn restrictions from the end of a locked segment after it is joined by a new segment at its end.

I will get someone to verify for me but I do believe that if the node connect has segments locked above your rank then you can only manipulate the arrows from your segment and not the arrows from the locked segment you connect to.

Possible variations that need to be tested are:
1) Draw a new segment and connect immediately with setting of "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" on and see if all turns are green.
1A) If yes then see if you can turn locked segment to unlocked segment arrow red.
2) Draw a new segment and connect immediately with setting of "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" off and see if you can manipulate the turns from locked to unlocked
3) Draw a new segment that you don't connect to node, then connect to node (normally all turns are red) see if you can manipulate the turns from locked to unlocked. (This will also test extending an existing segment to a node)
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

jm6087 wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:What is incomplete? I ran a quick test using an RTC as something locking a segment above my rank. All the conditions matched the segment lock effects for being locked above my rank. I easily added the junctions to the end of the segment and set the turn restrictions as needed. The turns from the locked segment were already enabled, but I could disable them from the segment locked by the JB. Maybe someone can confirm that a segment directly locked above their rank (not by RTC or JB) does not permit setting turn restrictions from the end of a locked segment after it is joined by a new segment at its end.

I will get someone to verify for me but I do believe that if the node connect has segments locked above your rank then you can only manipulate the arrows from your segment and not the arrows from the locked segment you connect to.

Possible variations that need to be tested are:
1) Draw a new segment and connect immediately with setting of "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" on and see if all turns are green.
1A) If yes then see if you can turn locked segment to unlocked segment arrow red.
2) Draw a new segment and connect immediately with setting of "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" off and see if you can manipulate the turns from locked to unlocked
3) Draw a new segment that you don't connect to node, then connect to node (normally all turns are red) see if you can manipulate the turns from locked to unlocked. (This will also test extending an existing segment to a node)

I am not 100% sure I understood the cases, but was able to verify that I couldn't change TRs on segments locked above me in these cases:
1) Draw a new segment and connect immediately with "Draw new roads with all turns allowed". All turns were green. I could not change any turns from locked segments to red.
2) Draw a new segment and connect immediately without "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" checked. All turns to and from the new segment were red, including from the locked segments. I could change the turn arrows from the new segment to all other segments, but the turn arrows from the locked segment to my new segment remained red. I couldn't change them.
3) Draw new segment that doesn't connect to anything and save. Then connect to the node and save. I got a soft turn. I wasn't able to Q-W to resolve it, but I could edit the arrows from the new segment to enable/disable them. The arrows from the locked segments were red onto this newly attached segment and I was unable to change them.
4) Extend a nearby existing segment to connect to the node, set the turns from this segment to green, then save. The turns from the locked segments were red going onto this newly attached segment and I was unable to change them. I was also unable to unattach the newly attached segment, but I was able to delete it and draw it again where it belonged (don't worry, it was just a nearby PLR).
5) Draw new segment that doesn't connect to anything and save. Then connect to the node, set all of its turns to green, then save. The arrows from the locked segments also defaulted to red onto this newly attached segment and I was unable to change them. I tried it both with drawing the new road with "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" checked and unchecked with the same results.
6) Same thing as 5), except I also tried to set the turns from the locked segments before saving the new segment. I was unable to change them.

I'm not sure if I missed anything, but the takeaway is that if I draw a new road with "Draw new roads with all turns allowed" checked and connect it immediately to the node with segments locked above me, then all turns to the new segment are green from the locked segments. For all other cases, all turns end up red from the locked segments to the new segment. No matter what, I couldn't change the arrows from the locked segments from whatever they defaulted, whether I tried before or after saving the newly attached segment.
Last edited by ldriveskier on Tue May 30, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 am

Sounds like you understood the cases exactly which confirms my concern to add some sort of note about still recommend getting assistance with the locked segment because the connection will most likely not be complete. You will still need help fixing arrows from locked segment.

Thanks for running the tests.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion