[Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

dfortney wrote:(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

To clarify, Waze HNs and RPPs are seen as near-equals in the eyes of the automatic processes behind the curtain. There is some technical mumbo-jumbo about distances from each other, and from segments with various matching schemes, but the take away is that HNs are roughly equal to RPPs. If you really want to be sure an address works, add both :D .

dfortney wrote:(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.

PleaseDriveFast wrote:...for point #2, this may need to be an amendment to the Places page or just some simple text referring people back to section 5.1.1 in the USA-Places wiki when looking to link a Place Point/Area..

I don't have any hard facts about the practice of linking non-residential places to the Google address markers. In addition, I think the current version of WME doesn't allow searching for Google address markers in the external providers box. However, my next revision will likely be on RPPs, so I'll try to get solid info added to the Places page.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 pm

HN in WME Revision Posted to the WME, thank you for your support and suggestions.

House numbers in WME
Difference between revisions of "House Numbers in WME"
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby westfordjoe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 pm

In User:Nzahn1/House_Numbers_in_WME, it seems to me that these statements conflict with each other:

The stop point should be placed:

# Where you would park if you wanted to park closest to the main entrance to the building or an entrance to the building parking lot.

# Where the driveway intersects the road. For houses with driveway which intersects the same road more than once or two different roads, put the stop point where the mailbox is located.

If I'm dealing with a business, the parking spot closest to the main entrance to the building is often a long way from where the driveway intersects the road. Should the HN or RPP stop point be located near the main entrance to the building OR where the driveway intersects the road? If it's an HN, I'm not sure it's possible to locate the stop point anywhere but on the road to which the HN belongs.

Also, can we make it clear somewhere in the HN Wazeop that business PPs require both a PP and either an HN or and RPP? As a new editor, this isn't clear to me from reading the Wazeop.

Joe
westfordjoe

Postby kwrigh01 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm

nzahn1 wrote:
steveinark wrote:I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

There are still a number of hidden mechanisms that are required for RPPs to be used, but they aren't fully understood. For example, there is some thought that adjusting a stop point for a RPP is also required for it to be used in the app.

After I finish the HN page, maybe I can work on the Places#Residential section, or create a subpage for RPPs. For now, I'd like to keep most of the content on this page specific to HNs.

I second what steveinark said ... I had an issue with routing due to no alt city in a rural area with RPP. I suggest that we link to the Road Name/City Names page ( https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Road_names/City_names) in the caveats/warnings section as this information is VERY hard to find otherwise ... maybe even adopt making sure that every segment has a city name (either in primary or alt) to take care of many of the routing issues.
kwrigh01
State Manager
State Manager

Postby subs5 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 am

I think the Interpolation paragraph should have an addition that Residential place points (RPPs) do not interpolate like House numbers (HNs).

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ho ... erpolation

Specifically add a new third paragraph "Residential place points (RPPs) are not used for interpolation by Waze. Missing addresses that do not have HNs nearby, will default to third party sources or interpolation from 3rd party sources."

The current third paragraph becomes 4th paragraph. This is the one that starts with "Finally, Waze will estimate some house numbers beyond where house numbers are marked in the WME. "
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 pm

subs5 wrote:I think the Interpolation paragraph should have an addition that Residential place points (RPPs) do not interpolate like House numbers (HNs).

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ho ... erpolation

Specifically add a new third paragraph "Residential place points (RPPs) are not used for interpolation by Waze. Missing addresses that do not have HNs nearby, will default to third party sources or interpolation from 3rd party sources."

The current third paragraph becomes 4th paragraph. This is the one that starts with "Finally, Waze will estimate some house numbers beyond where house numbers are marked in the WME. "

We can do something like that. Really, I need to get my act together and redo /Places/Residential.

The section above (Rpps vs. Hns) does say:
House numbers are Interpolated; RPPs are not interpolated.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby subs5 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am

I know but since there was a question in MAR about it, thought it might be worth restating in the place that I noted above. If others disagree that is fine, but trying to make it easy for people since this section does say RPPs and HNs at same priority and then goes into interpolation w/o stating not applicable for RPPs.

So do others think it should be added?
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dspille » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 pm

subs5 wrote:I know but since there was a question in MAR about it, thought it might be worth restating in the place that I noted above. If others disagree that is fine, but trying to make it easy for people since this section does say RPPs and HNs at same priority and then goes into interpolation w/o stating not applicable for RPPs.

So do others think it should be added?

I'm fine with restating it in that paragraph if it might help provide more clarity for someone.
Thanks,
dspille
Multi-State Manager - South Central Region

SCR Wiki
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby steveinark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Agree with adding the small amount of text, to enhance the clarity. It is a key point to get across to newer editors.
[ img ]
Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dBsooner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 pm

steveinark wrote:Agree with adding the small amount of text, to enhance the clarity. It is a key point to get across to newer editors.

I agree with this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
• AM: Eastern Oklahoma, DFW, Southern Florida
• Wiki: WME | Editing Manual | Best Practices | FAQ | Places
• AT&T | iPhone 7+ | iOS 12.0 | Waze Latest Beta
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion