Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by nzahn1
HN in WME Revision Posted to the WME, thank you for your support and suggestions.

House numbers in WME
Difference between revisions of "House Numbers in WME"
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
subs5 wrote:I think the Interpolation paragraph should have an addition that Residential place points (RPPs) do not interpolate like House numbers (HNs).

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ho ... erpolation

Specifically add a new third paragraph "Residential place points (RPPs) are not used for interpolation by Waze. Missing addresses that do not have HNs nearby, will default to third party sources or interpolation from 3rd party sources."

The current third paragraph becomes 4th paragraph. This is the one that starts with "Finally, Waze will estimate some house numbers beyond where house numbers are marked in the WME. "
We can do something like that. Really, I need to get my act together and redo /Places/Residential.

The section above (Rpps vs. Hns) does say:
House numbers are Interpolated; RPPs are not interpolated.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
RPP caveat paragraph added to interpolation section.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
tenetienne wrote:The one thing I didn't see after reading through the thread was how many HNs should be placed on a new road. The first thing I think of is 2, so that Waze will be able to calculate new numbers. Nothing like having to state the obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised that the question would probably come up.
Good question. The safe answer is to add all the HNs that are known. A new development may have gaps in the data, but existing communities should have enough info to fill in most streets.

I'll update the interpolation section to include a qualifier that as many of known HNs should be added, but interpolation can fill in the gaps.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by PleaseDriveFast
dfortney wrote:This article looks great!

Two comments:
(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.

Echo the great work and transparency this provides. I agree with these points, but for point #2, this may need to be an amendment to the Places page or just some simple text referring people back to section 5.1.1 in the USA-Places wiki when looking to link a Place Point/Area..
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by roadtechie
Looks good Nick. Nice work!
roadtechie
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
-Roadtechie
https://web.archive.org/web/20161030115 ... s/lcus.pnghttps://web.archive.org/web/20161030115 ... ls/c6s.png
Assistant Regional Coordinator | Great Lakes
Local Champ Mentor | USA
Country Manager | USA

Post by steveinark
Reading thru the suggested page update, noted this added bullet point:

* House numbers only route to road segments with names; RPPs will route to any road segment named or not.

This is quickly confirmed when testing the route after an RPP is added at the end of an unnamed private road going to the house.

I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

Since I routinely add the street/city as an alternate, for out-of-city segments with an RPP, I'd never realize that, LOL. If that requirement was eliminated, it would be good to save that additional editing workload.
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)

Post by steveinark
Agree with adding the small amount of text, to enhance the clarity. It is a key point to get across to newer editors.
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)

Post by subs5
Looks good, three recommendations:

1) Line 20 in comparison view. Recommend "Addresses in an Area place or a Point place are cosmetic only and not used for address search like Residential Point Places." vice
"Standard (not residential) Waze Place addresses" are cosmetic only, and not used for address search.

2) Add a section that HNs can have multiple street names and/or city names as alt names while RPP can only have one street and city name combination per RPP.

3) Waze HN Interpolation will be to the named road segment vice the Google map interpolation to the nearest segment even if not accessible on the named road segment. (ex last house on a court might be the street over).
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by subs5
In other areas on your page I made some changes,

removed GMM since it is gone and just said Google Maps

changed wording to residential point Places to be consistent with what you said.

For the Markers section - should we state to add a residential point Place vice a HN? The current guidance is to put PP or AP (as appropriate) but if someone searches for the address it won't use the cosmetic address in the PP or AP.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message